Sub keeper

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Who went and watched our new 2Nd keeper, recommended giving him a contract and thought he’d give Justham a bit of competition ?

I watched him in the pre match shooting practice on Saturday and he let in 23 shots in a row. He doesn’t make the bench last night and his preseason outings proved he ain’t that good.

Don’t want to dig the poor fella out, he’s young, inexperienced etc and Justham will be a great mentor to him but we do need a decent no2.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Lcbdagger

Definitely a curious one... almost everyone who saw the pre-season games assumed we would bring in a Loan keeper were Justham to be injured. Could understand him being there as an emergency back-up were there to be an injury mid-game to Justham, but then (as already mentioned) he isn't on the bench for League games.
Pondfield Dagger

yep need a decent no2 to keep in on his toes. was his kicking better last night?
southend, west ham u23 he was extremely lucky not to concede 2 howlers, woking his kicking wasn't much better either.
SUSSEX DAGGER

The tale I heard on the terraces last night is Lucie is the chosen one if the need arose and has looked ok.Make of that what you want but if he has shown.apptitude then is it not a good management of resources ?
TommyD&R

We wanted to bring back that Dave Hogan vibe
Auntie Merge

TommyD&R wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:27 am We wanted to bring back that Dave Hogan vibe
Bring back Dave Hogan!
Mike the Dagger

Strikes me that there really isn't much point having a "top" backup keeper at our level. its just a waste of a wage.

Rather like the Robbo/Hogan dynamic, the second string isn't likely to get a game unless there is suspension or injury and if there is then you can hit the loan system most likely, get a FL third string in pretty quickly.

As far as the bench, again its a red card or an injury that might happen once or twice a season maybe. with 5 subs, not having a keeper on the bench offers better choices. I'd guess we have one of the outfield players who has stuck their hand up to have a go in an emergency for that. Who is the new Keeno?

What you do need is someone in the squad to learn and grow and take part in training games where you need two keepers.
Ally Fraser

Abiodun Baruwa is without a club.
NBDag

Refuse to believe any of our players are more suitable than Strizovic to step in between the sticks in the event that shit hits the fan during a game. We have also signed enough supposed utility players to play slightly out of position for part of a match if needs be. So I’m not buying the argument of more options from the bench. I’m not sure whether Strizovic is ready to be a professional number two yet, but I know 100% that no one else in our squad is. So it’s either got to be him on the bench or bring someone else in.
Diggerthedog

Jesus give the lad a chance he is only 19 and it’s his first time as a pro. Not so long ago many on here were moaning that Elliot was no good.
Adrian

Mike the Dagger wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:05 pm Strikes me that there really isn't much point having a "top" backup keeper at our level. its just a waste of a wage.

Rather like the Robbo/Hogan dynamic, the second string isn't likely to get a game unless there is suspension or injury and if there is then you can hit the loan system most likely, get a FL third string in pretty quickly.

As far as the bench, again its a red card or an injury that might happen once or twice a season maybe. with 5 subs, not having a keeper on the bench offers better choices. I'd guess we have one of the outfield players who has stuck their hand up to have a go in an emergency for that. Who is the new Keeno?

What you do need is someone in the squad to learn and grow and take part in training games where you need two keepers.
We went for years without having a problem with not having any real competition for goalkeeper.
Then we had Cousins and O’Brien to compete with each other and ended up with two nervous goalkeepers worried about making a mistake and neither played better as a result.

It’s a complete waste of money. Even in the top flight there might be a proper number two but they’re never really competion, but just there as a back up just in case when they’re easily affordable.
Richie

With 5 subs, I'd rather not have a sub keeper on the bench. An extra winger for example is worth the risk IMO.

7 subs, I'd have a keeper.
ARNU

If it were an important game ( playoff final, game that keeps us up etc) then I’d defo have a reserve keeper. On reading the above I’d have to say maybe we don’t need one that much.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !