Worst ever dagger

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Rob Edmans shouldn't be on the list as he didnt really get a chance to show how good / bad he actually was.

Signing him with a broken leg never filled me or most other people with much cause of optimism from the start though!

Been waiting for some-one to mention Matt Jones. He was regularly the fall guy of his era!!
Mark

Mitchell Springett is definitely in there.
Crushed Dreams

"Jones" - Either (1) to have abuse hurled at you for an entire match despite being one of the hardest working players on the pitch, or (2) to take a wicked corner that has the defence in a complete panic."
http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... sp?stid=-4

Adrian has it with James Ayres. I can remember that game at Nuneaton. Mindyou, the whole team performance was awful that day.

The Ryman years probably featured a number of candidates but on the whole I always try to look for the best in one of our players rather than be critical for the sake of it.

eg Lee Fulling was good for Collier Row but failed with us.
leewilson

Adrian wrote:
dagger4eva wrote:
Adrian wrote:Pack wasn't poor for the majority of his games for us at all.

These threads are largely ridiculous. Picking kids that played 2, 3, 4 or 5 games as short term measures when nothing else was available as the worst players is just daft.

There are much worse than most of those that have played for us.
You could always get involved and tell us which player(s) u think should make the worst of all time list.... just a thought dear sir
a) Been there, done that in the past
b) For all that some of the players I'd pick would mean to quite a lot of our supporters now, I might as well just used a random name generator.
c) Picking worst players is nearly always skewed by memory of one bad game i.e. Jamie Day always gets mentioned, but in reality had a terrible game on his debut (where several of his teammates were also pretty poor), and then played 7 games which no-one really remembers

The sort of players I think I've mentioned previously would include:
Lee Wilson - striker who managed 1 goal in 32 games
Danny Hazle - striker that arrived with a good reputation and managed 2 goals in 19 games
Robbie Gammons - very difficult to describe
Mitchell Springett - seen as a decent acquisition, but was terrible

Honorable mention goes to:
James Ayres - so poor on his debut that he was subbed at half-time and never seen again
I never realised my name sake played for us. HIs scoring record matches around what I'd get for us if I played regularly.
Richie

Edmans went on a Messi like 60 yard run at Wimbledon, one of the most bizarre sights I've seen in football
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Richie wrote:Edmans went on a Messi like 60 yard run at Wimbledon, one of the most bizarre sights I've seen in football

That was amazing. Edmans was more of a terrible signing than the worst dagger, if you know what I mean.
NickMurphy

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote:
Richie wrote:Edmans went on a Messi like 60 yard run at Wimbledon, one of the most bizarre sights I've seen in football

That was amazing. Edmans was more of a terrible signing than the worst dagger, if you know what I mean.
Yeah, but that diving header miss was bloody awful.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

NickMurphy wrote:
AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote:

Yeah, but that diving header miss was bloody awful.
I could have scored that. And I'm shit at heading
redboy

Think we're now looking at two 24 man squads of dross. I think that the point I was making was how a manager can firstly sign these guys, then play them every week. Maybe in order to reach an ultimate top ten say, we should assess players that have made a minimum number of appearances, say 25, rather than an odd cameo or loan spell here or there.

I know that he was one of Garry Hill's favourites and he did score a wonder goal from about the 6th row of the sieve one night, but Matt Jones was two bob. Loved himself almost as much as Garry did.
Mike the Dagger

redboy wrote:I know that he was one of Garry Hill's favourites and he did score a wonder goal from about the 6th row of the sieve one night, but Matt Jones was two bob. Loved himself almost as much as Garry did.
Matt Jones was a properly nice guy, and took some of the most wicked corners ever seen, and is actually a bit of a legend.

You'd have to go a long way to beat this guy!

Stuart Douglas
TommyD&R

Mike the Dagger wrote:
redboy wrote:I know that he was one of Garry Hill's favourites and he did score a wonder goal from about the 6th row of the sieve one night, but Matt Jones was two bob. Loved himself almost as much as Garry did.
Matt Jones was a properly nice guy, and took some of the most wicked corners ever seen, and is actually a bit of a legend.

You'd have to go a long way to beat this guy!

Stuart Douglas
Wasnt he the wimbledon physio everyone was singing 'youre just a shit edgar davids' to at the away game?
steeevooo

I remember the anticipation surrounding his signing when it was revealed that we were awaiting international clearance on a signing (without actually naming him as Stuart Douglas until the clearance was received)....
dagger4eva

I know I could easily google it but I thought we signed him Boston. Or have I just dreamt that up??

Ok, so I did google him and Wikipedia shows he joined a Finnish team after Boston and before coming to us.

In his career he made a total of 318 appearances (4 for us) scoring a mammoth 43 goals in the process (0 for us) - so a goal ratio of just over 1 in 7.
Ilford Dagger

Matt Jones wasn't actually the worst ever player in terms of ability as he had a lot but he was a lazy player who could & should have contributed a lot more than he actually did, he was frustrating to watch no question & his attitude was also not what it should have been at times.
The worst player was probably Stuart Douglas with (dis)honourable mentions for others inc Robert Gill, Tristram Whitman, Jamie Day.
Lcbdagger

Haha Whitman... The Marvin Morgan of a bye gone age!