Second Goalkeeper

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Pete42

We could do a lot worse than consider signing Steve Arnold who has just been released by Stevenage. He was second choice keeper at Stevenage after falling out with Graham Westley but during the time Westley went to Preston, before returning to Stevenage, Arnold became first choice and looked more than capable. Released by Stevenage with a year on his current contract which means he might be prepared to accept lower wages.
NickMurphy

For experience I also think Scott Shearer wouldn't be that bad a shout. Released by Rotherham and the majority of his best years have come in League Two.

Just a question of wages etc I suppose.
Mikins

Rotherham are a bit tainted in a lot of peoples eyes, if we signed anyone from them he'd probably have to pull out miracles on a daily basis to win quite a few people over. that said if Evans doesnt want him maybe its a sign that he might be worth us having :D
Sorry about your damn luck!
TommyD&R

We've signed another backup goalkeeper by the looks of it. Both of our new keepers have less than 100 league appearances between them and they played a combined total of 0 games last season.
dagger4eva

I can't claim to have any knowledge whatsoever on our new GK, Mark Cousins, but be interesting to see if this signing meets the acceptable "excitement" levels required by some :lol:

Welcome to the club !
Adrian

dagger4eva wrote:I can't claim to have any knowledge whatsoever on our new GK, Mark Cousins, but be interesting to see if this signing meets the acceptable "excitement" levels required by some :lol:

Welcome to the club !
Keep going, you might manage to be funny eventually.
All you're doing is further highlighting my point about this place being so quiet.
One poster makes one comment and someone like you has to keep having a pop at it.

In regard to the signing itself, he's not played for us and I've never heard of him so there is at least something interesting there.
Im not sure how he fits into the two experience keepers that Wayne apparently wanted, but 58 games in 7 seasons is pretty low.
dagger4eva

Adrian wrote:
dagger4eva wrote:I can't claim to have any knowledge whatsoever on our new GK, Mark Cousins, but be interesting to see if this signing meets the acceptable "excitement" levels required by some :lol:

Welcome to the club !
Keep going, you might manage to be funny eventually.
All you're doing is further highlighting my point about this place being so quiet.
One poster makes one comment and someone like you has to keep having a pop at it.

In regard to the signing itself, he's not played for us and I've never heard of him so there is at least something interesting there.
Im not sure how he fits into the two experience keepers that Wayne apparently wanted, but 58 games in 7 seasons is pretty low.
There are various possibilities why this place is so quiet at the moment. It could either be down to the fact that people are on holidays, the domestic football season is over and our 1st PSF is still some time away, we have only just started to make some signings and the world cup is in full swing.

Or there is the other possibility that the place has died a death since your registration was accepted.

Since that dark day your only contribution (that I can recall) is to slate the club for spending money on a trip to Spain that it should apparantly otherwise have been spent on transfers/playing budget, before you knew the full facts.

And on top of that offered the enlightening insight that our re-signing of a player who did 'ok' - no better and no worse in his VERY short spell here last season happened to be the least exciting signing we had ever made.

I'll leave it for you to decide which is the most likely explanation.

Tutty bye
Adrian

I'm going to stick with my view that its the presence of posters like you who act in the way you do to anyone that doesn't fit with your expectations.
Exaggerating claims about things other posters have said is one good example.

I most definitely did not slate the club for the Spain trip. I questioned whether it was a good use of money and when Simmo was good enough to point out how it was funded, I accepted that it couldn't be a waste.
I still had some other views around the trip as a whole, but he likes of yourself are just to ignorant to be able to accept me having the cheek to dare express them.
I stand by the view that signing Chambers is one of the least exciting we've made. It seems that I'm far from the only one underwhelmed by his signing.
leewilson

A friend of mine rates Cousins. That will do for me.

That sounds a bit sordid actually doesn't it. :lol:
leewilson

From a Colchester fan:

I would expect Cousins to do very well for you. I liked him a lot and felt he was unfairly made a bit of a scapegoat in 2012/13 when we were struggling.

Ben Williams left that summer and John Ward said that Cousins would be the number one. He put in a string of MOTM performances despite the fact that we had started abysmally and were under the cosh a lot, and then when Joe Dunne took over, he kept four clean sheets in five games as we picked up. Then we lost 3-1 at Chelmsford in the cup, two of the goals weren't his fault, and the manager made it clear he was looking for a new goalkeeper. John Sullivan came in on loan and shipped eleven goals in his four games, and then Cousins went back in - but, by now, everyone knew Dunne wanted someone else which can't help.

Sam Walker came in during January and became a big hit with the fans, and Cousins hasn't played another minute since. There probably isn't really anything much between them, but Walker has the fans on side and, for whatever reason, Cousins doesn't. He doesn't look like a typical goalkeeper - he's not that tall, his socks fall half way down his shins and he leaves his shirt untucked etc. I'm not sure, but there's something about that appearance that doesn't fill you with confidence, compared to Walker who is about 6" 6' and just a loud presence.

Cousins is as good a shot stopper as anyone. His communication perhaps isn't the best and his kicking isn't great, but he is decent enough and should do well in League Two. He's been with us since he was a kid and sat on the bench for too many years, so I'm sure everyone wishes him the very best.
matt_drfc

Not bad
Last edited by matt_drfc on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lcbdagger

Hang on... Good shot stopper but can't kick? Say it ain't so
ThatRoundThing

My Colchester mate text me today and almost word for word said what Lee's mate said.
matt_drfc

Probably have the same mate
TommyD&R

leewilson wrote: Cousins is as good a shot stopper as anyone. His communication perhaps isn't the best and his kicking isn't great
Are you sure he wasn't watching lewy?

The rest is quite reassuring though