Match Preview: Bromley

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Lcbdagger

Spent the journey home screaming about the referee for the non-action all night with Quigley and the free kick before the equaliser but in some kind of fairness...

They had an absolute stone wall penalty turned down... and how Manny didn't get sent off for a second yellow in the second half I will never know??

The most curious thing was the lack of people who seemed to be surprised by the late equaliser despite Bromley offering nothing all game... very much a sign of where we are as a team currently that the opposition threatens nothing 1-0 behind and we still feel confident we won't hold out and win the game
Sagres

Luque's 2 yard miss cost us dearly, unbeaten in last 5 games but need to be more clinical in front of goal.
Alan

Luque was flagged offside for the 2 yard miss.

Draw probably fair as it was a penalty. I’d like to have seen one for us for Bingham holding Quigley every single corner, but hey?

As to their equaliser, not sure it was a free kick, it was taken miles up the pitch, but look at our play: nobody went to prevent them taking it short to a player who could carry it up the field; Angelo fails to make a challenge in the middle of the pitch on the guy who plays it to the goal scorer choosing instead to jog and point; Manny got too tight on the goal scorer and was unable to react when he turned. The goal was very preventable.
DaggerJoel11

Match Report: Daggers 1 Bromley 1
Thirty seconds after Dagenham had the ball in the corner, seemingly on the precipice of another home victory alongside an eagerly-awaited first clean sheet of the season, they were struck by a devastating blow that sent bodies all around the ground slumping to the floor in disarray.

Here's my match report from last night's draw against Bromley: https://dagnificent.weebly.com/match-re ... -bromley-1
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
rebeldagger

Gutted with that result, absolutely gutted.

In parts I thought we played well, each one of those players deserves praise, in particular Quigley, whom on the performance of last night, is such a different and improved player that we had seen earlier in the season, and we're only just into September. However, through the inaction of the officials he was not able to be as effective as we, or he, would have hoped. He misses that edge about him, the one Wilkinson had and that we adored, yet I do now think he will improve further on and grow more in confidence, with flicks here and there and his ability to hold it up, we should be doing well.

Luque I thought played well too, and proved to be thorn in the side of their defense, him along with the rest of midfield deserve heaps of praise, yet it was our apparent inability to keep a clean sheet or indeed defend a lead that cost us in the most cruel of fashions.

There is plenty of positives from the game, Justham for one, with another top drawer save, yet there is also some negatives and they will be looked at over the next few days / weeks. We do seem to be improving with every game, and as mentioned particular players are too gaining in confidence too.

Also consider we were missing quite a few players, so will be nice to see how we fare when they return, all in all I'm pleased with our performance, albeit there is areas to work on as there always will be, I think we can be pleased with how we fared against an in-form team.
Last edited by rebeldagger on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redboy

Last night just enhanced my thoughts that Taylor hasn't got a clue.

The free kick at the end was a joke, albeit we could have defended it, but it seemed on TV that that was his excuse for the result. He then claimed this was our best performance of the season! He took our most creative player off and despite conceding far too much possession throughout the game, made no changes to the lack of personnel in midfield. That formation, especially at home does not work. Why are we sitting so deep?

In fairness to the players, I felt the defence looked well disciplined for the majority of the game, Elliot was excellent and everyone else did ok. However, we just couldn't hold the ball or pass it. We looked like the away team for most of the match and that's not a reference to the kits either. Thankfully Bromley for all their possession didn't create too much, but against a better side we are sitting ducks.
Mark

I agree about our approach defensively. Our lack of pressing and deep lines just invite pressure and we will always give out eventually. It isn't possible to play that way and not concede goals. Relatively simple movement is often enough to unlock us and we were probably fortunate that Bromley alternated between slow build up and inaccurate punts rather than showing any real quick interplay. I thought they were quite poor tbh.
leewilson

Couldn't make last night as I had something on but watched the game on record when I got in.

Quite nice watching us on TV as you pick up things that you don't notice when you're in your same spot week after week at the game. As a unit, I thought we looked very good and defended well for the most part. Manny had a brilliant first 80 minutes and then fell apart in the last ten. I think he's much more aggressive in that tackle that he missed for the goal if he hadn't have been a walking red card after two previous fouls that could easily have seen him walk.

For me, and I don't want to be too harsh on him, the problem is still that Quigley is not a goalscorer. We are hugely reliant on Balanta to score right now and history suggests that he's not a 20 goal man himself. Luque will chip in with probably 7-12 this season and is a great option out wide. However, I don't think there is much at all between us and Bromley bar the fact that Cheek and Hackett-Fairchild will comfortably hit around 40 goals between them in my opinion.

Bar the opening day rust against Woking and the poor performance against Boreham Wood, we've looked alright in the other 7 games. We should have more points but haven't capitalised on leads and our lack of clean sheets is killing us. We are currently a mid table side but if we can find another Wilkinson this Autumn like we did last year, then there is a top 7 side there.
Lcbdagger

Sagres wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:13 am Luque's 2 yard miss cost us dearly, unbeaten in last 5 games but need to be more clinical in front of goal.
Offside flag was up in fairness
SUSSEX DAGGER

2 yard miss from Luique is a bit of an over exaggeration , if you think that you would have to say the free kick was taken in the right spot, which it was not

Also the stone wall penalty was never a penalty think me and DFE agreed with that after checking his phone , we had our very own DAR thanks to him. Then again with that Ref anything was fair game

Inability to put teams to bed was our undoing again but things are looking a dam sight rosier then they did after our first two home games