Black history month.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Disclaimer first.... I don’t have a racist bone in my body and I have no time for those that do. That’s my lifelong position not one I’ve been forced into.

Says on the website Daggers are celebrating black history month. So I get all the anti racist stuff and the positive message this sends but isn’t this a little bit odd?

Look around our crowd it’s not exactly full of black people or is it abundant with anyone who looks like they will genuinely be celebrating black history month. So why is this even a thing at Dagenham ? Why not celebrate something a little more appropriate? Discuss.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
RampantDuke

The words Box, Ticking and Exercise spring to mind here. These days everyone is open to vilification if they don’t support every diversity event whether it is gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity. Perhaps we are just covering our arses so we can’t be shot at by the PC brigade? Just a thought......
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
lupins

Because we aspire to be an inclusive, diverse, community club
HGDagger

This is just more of the Identity politics nonsense that comes from America. It appears that is has been catched on by people at the club.
Daggerman

lupins wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:59 pm Because we aspire to be an inclusive, diverse, community club
Then we should have a white history month, A proud to be straight parade and an international men’s day!
Unfortunately all of this politically correct stuff is all rather hypocritical, let’s stick to the real issues like racism and religious tolerance.
NBDag

Maybe to cater for those in our crowd we should do a West Ham history month...

But a quick google will tell you that about 19% of the population in Barking and Dagenham are of a black ethnicity, and that’s based off of the 2011 census. Would fancy that it’s a fair bit higher now. We’re constantly talking about ways to get in new fans, maybe this could be a way to grab the attention of a fifth of the borough. God forbid we try something new!
ARNU

But what does the celebration consist of exactly. A few posters around the ground and a largely indifferent clientele. There’s more black people in the team than in the crowd. I’m not knocking the event, but I sort of am as nothing is really happening apart from a few posters around the ground innit ? What on matchday will D&R teach me about black history?
rebeldagger

Daggerman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:05 pm
lupins wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:59 pm Because we aspire to be an inclusive, diverse, community club
Then we should have a white history month, A proud to be straight parade and an international men’s day!
Unfortunately all of this politically correct stuff is all rather hypocritical, let’s stick to the real issues like racism and religious tolerance.
International Men's day is on the 19th November, the club, the league and the wider football community already does work in promoting men's health and well being issues. Vinne Jones is doing tremendous work at the moment in openly speaking about grief and how it effected him.

There's no real need for a white history month as to be fair white, English people weren't persecuted or subject to abuse by virtue of something that is out of their control, be it sex, gender, race, skin colour or religious belief.

There's no real harm in broadening horizons and promoting inclusivity. It's been pointed out the make up of the borough, as well as Ilford and Romford. Premier league clubs seem to have no issue in attracting fans of a different ethnic back grounds, so holding an event to attract local fans, whatever their background is, can only be a good thing.
RM1Dagger

rebeldagger wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 am
Daggerman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:05 pm
International Men's day is on the 19th November, the club, the league and the wider football community already does work in promoting men's health and well being issues. Vinne Jones is doing tremendous work at the moment in openly speaking about grief and how it effected him.

There's no real need for a white history month as to be fair white, English people weren't persecuted or subject to abuse by virtue of something that is out of their control, be it sex, gender, race, skin colour or religious belief.

There's no real harm in broadening horizons and promoting inclusivity. It's been pointed out the make up of the borough, as well as Ilford and Romford. Premier league clubs seem to have no issue in attracting fans of a different ethnic back grounds, so holding an event to attract local fans, whatever their background is, can only be a good thing.
This ^
Now the SE27 Dagger
Ally Fraser

rebeldagger wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 am Premier league clubs seem to have no issue in attracting fans of a different ethnic back grounds, so holding an event to attract local fans, whatever their background is, can only be a good thing.
The only football clubs that have no issue in attracting ethnic minority fans are Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City.

We can waste as much money as we want promoting this leftie inclusive rubbish, but this will not increase our attendances.
dj johnny b

Every single word that rebeldagger and lupins say.
dj johnny b

And that Ally Fraser is total rubbish.
This isn't 'leftie rubbish' - this is the 21st century and some people need to catch up quickly.
rebeldagger

Ally Fraser wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 am
rebeldagger wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 am Premier league clubs seem to have no issue in attracting fans of a different ethnic back grounds, so holding an event to attract local fans, whatever their background is, can only be a good thing.
The only football clubs that have no issue in attracting ethnic minority fans are Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City.

We can waste as much money as we want promoting this leftie inclusive rubbish, but this will not increase our attendances.
Lefite inclusive rubbish? by what? looking to be a club that wants to be one of the community, one to be seen as welcoming to people and families?

Yes, the bigger clubs have the glitz and the glamour, are on video games and all over social media, yet at the fan's forum we were all told the work the club is doing in local schools and in the community. Don't be expecting there to be 2k fans at the next home game, yet small steps in the right direction is the way we're going about it, at a pace that is both rewarding and realistic. We've seen vast improvements in the past 18 months, and there's more to come.
ARNU

So what does daggers promoting black history consist of? What black history will we all learn at the Wrexham game? Where do we go to get this lesson? The sieve ? The bar ?

My point isn’t that it’s s bad thing, it’s just that I don’t beleive anybody will leave the ground any the wiser on the subject of black history. Maybe there’s going to be a lecture on the civil rights movement in the new club shop with a slideshow. But I very much doubt it.

Can’t wait for transgender vegan awareness day!
rebeldagger

ARNU wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am So what does daggers promoting black history consist of? What black history will we all learn at the Wrexham game? Where do we go to get this lesson? The sieve ? The bar ?

My point isn’t that it’s s bad thing, it’s just that I don’t beleive anybody will leave the ground any the wiser on the subject of black history. Maybe there’s going to be a lecture on the civil rights movement in the new club shop with a slideshow. But I very much doubt it.

Can’t wait for transgender vegan awareness day!
I agree, will be interesting to see what the club actually does, aside from some social media action, what will we see? It may not necessarily be something at the ground on match day though, more then likely it'll be done through community work, which I imagine many of us don't see or hear about.

As for Transgender Vegan awareness day, aren't we waiting to play Forest Green Rovers for that one?