Barrow AFC Update 29.02.2020

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DaggerJoel11

chipmunx wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:46 pm ref wasn't great, conditions were even worse - we should have won by more, scored 2, had a penalty saved and hit the bar in the 1st half.
Your goal was a good 1-2 and well finished.
2nd half the sleet started and the wind picked up even more, but to be honest i can't remember Dixon having a save to make.
You'll stay up easily now you have Balanta back.
Oh and a word for your number 24 (Deering) - he has to be about the shortest footballer i've ever seen - but looked your best player by a mile...
I thought it was quite an even game actually but can't begrudge them the win. Both teams aspired to play football the right way but were precented from doing so when the violent wind took hold. Never seen someone cross the ball and halfway into it's path towards the box it suddenly flies into the other half of the pitch! Barrow had more chances but we definitely gave as good as we got. I can't remember a single chance for either side beyond the half-hour mark because the conditions made it so.

My first visit to Barrow and impressed with the set-up. Doing lots of things right on and off the pitch, in pole position for the title as we enter the final stretch of games.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
speedy

Felt for both sets of players yesterday, conditions were the worst I’ve witnessed at a football match in many a long year. Pity there had to be a loser.
Thought it was a definite penalty, tackle from behind by Clark, but a great save by Elliot from the resulting kick. Thought we tried to get the ball down and play rather than use the advantage of having a gale force wind behind us. Didn’t quite pay off though.
All our boys put in a good shift but a special mention for Sam Deering, what a super little player he is. Must have covered every blade of grass, got clattered off the ball a couple of times too.
Great team goal too superbly finished by Alex Reid.
Thanks to Barroe FC for making us so welcome.
Diggerthedog

Well what can you say about that match, started in blazing sunshine only to end it what can only be described as the worst weather I’ve ever been in. The fact there was no rain just the win d first half played into Barrows hands, the wind took the first goal over Robinson’s head for the guy to get a free hit, good finish to be fair. We did brilliant to go in only a goal down with that wind and what a brilliant goal we scored, Balanta with the assist and an excellent finish from Reid.

After having my free pie and pint in the open air bar the heavens well and truly opened and the wind picked up even more, there was nowhere for us to seek shelter so just had to see it out on the terrace, some home fans even left the seats as it was too much to handle. The second half was a non event no chance in hell did we have of doing anything productive, we had a decent penalty shout but ref was no interested.

Shame about the result but they are top for a reason and have a very dangerous forward line. Aldershot up next hopefully we can get 3 points, that elusive away win has to come at some point.
DaggerJoel11

Match Report: Barrow 2 Daggers 1

The Daggers fought a dual battle against the league leaders and the biblical weather conditions, just falling short despite a great effort. Here's my match report and player ratings (which are also below) from Saturday's long trip up to Cumbria: https://dagnificent.weebly.com/match-re ... -daggers-1

Justham 8, Gordon 7, Clark 7, Onariase 8, Eleftheriou 7, Brundle 7, Robinson 8, Deering 7, Balanta 7, Reid 7, House 7
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Mark

Think 7 is very generous to Clark, he let them in behind at least 4 times, gave a penalty away, and let a cross run which nearly resulted in a goal too.

Thought it was Brundle getting caught for the first goal but whoever it was had 2, we had a lot back but not really marking. Having said that, you don't see many sides take long square throws in that manner and the wind helped.
Diggerthedog

Croll or Clarke is the question?
lupins

Or is the question, why with an unbeaten run and one goal conceded with a back 5 do you suddenly switch to a back 4 and leave out your best left back when you are away to the likely league champions
DevonDagger

lupins wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:59 pm Or is the question, why with an unbeaten run and one goal conceded with a back 5 do you suddenly switch to a back 4 and leave out your best left back when you are away to the likely league champions
A fair question, but more easily said when we've lost.

The manager has been here for a couple months and although our results and performances are better, there's still much more for improvement. If the manager wanted to try a new system he believed could work, would it be better in a game we are likely to lose anyway and perhaps be delighted when it pays off or take the risk in a big game against Aldershot or Fylde that's coming up where a win is much more available and perhaps necessary?
lupins

Not a fan of the thinking that as its a game we were likely to lose its somehow a free pass. Personally I would have said unchanged team was the call
Mark

Barrow are better than us and play in a specific style which we tried to nullify. It wasn't far away from working. I think it was the right shape for this specific game. If we had the best side or a really effective way of playing I can see why you'd keep it the same but I don't think we're there yet.
Diggerthedog

We set up to nullify what they had with one eye on getting at them a different way, we had a very attacking line up playing away against by far the best team in the league and gave them a game.