The Football Landscape

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagger83

I think it's clear to everyone that whatever the future of football looks like, it'll be different to what it was before. As a bit of a discussion point, would it be the end of the world?

I've thought for a while that there are too many professional clubs and too much external money being pumped in to football to keep clubs afloat. If a number of clubs fold, perhaps it will be for the long-term good. There will be fewer clubs with bigger fan bases for each and it should make things more sustainable at the bottom. I don't wish it on any club or fans but it may be for the long-term good of the sport. Perhaps a drive for more part-time clubs will emerge?

I'd also hope there will be more regulation at the top. The fact clubs can spend hundreds of millions on transfers and offer hundreds of thousands in wages a week and then plead poverty because fans aren't allowed in for a few months stinks. I'm almost certain that this is naive of me and things will go back to as they were but I live in hope.

The last 6 months should hopefully open the eyes of owners, regulators and leaders and realise things need to change to make things less fragile and more sustainable but time will tell.

What are your thoughts?
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Dagdale

This has become a far to big a picture to summarise in a few sentences perhaps writing a book is needed but trying to hold it within the football landscape I will try and give my two cents on it, there's a fair few of us who left top flight football years back and the reason from the feed backs I've had over the years its the normal cache that keeps coming through greed, prices, lack of English born players, players that just don't seem loyal to the shirt, when players wages went even to 100K that was enough for me and many others so finding years ago lower league football as it was when I came down to Dagenham and meeting the sort of guys I grew up with real working class people, a standing terrace like I had used regularly in the old First Division I loved football again and just wished it had been a fair bit earlier, so top flight bye bye ages ago but I really feel for the Non League establishment as they know and we all know us Joe Public is their bread & butter line and have even stated more than once they don't want to start without us, even in Steps 1 a fair few clubs will be in serious trouble beyond Christmas if this persists, very worrying. To us the football family its actually like a few months back, a lock down, the thing that I quite don't understand were talking outside events here, walked by a fair few pubs lately and browsing in seeing more huddles inside than would certainly please Boris and will probably still be like it this weekend even a 10pm close would it change? pre Covid I would say 95 per cent of non League games I go always so much space available, couldn't it work with what we have seen they were originally trying to regulate? who is actually up for coming in (season ticket sales, not paying on day etc) and when finally in repaying the enjoyment again by not dropping the guard. Perhaps football or even life here will not be the same again for a long time and know one can never been complacent with what's out there now and its a very difficult hurdle for any government to get to grips with but seeing more days now where not to sure if they're going in the right direction.