Ebbsfleet 4 Daggers 0

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

I agree no excuses for this result.
leewilson

Bad result I agree, but let's not fear too much yet. If we continue to perform poorly though into the 3 big games, then I will start to worry. But it's still very early yet.
Adrian

4-0 to a team two divisions below and with a strongish side, isn't a bad result. It's ridiculous.

I'm not sure what it being early has to do with it. It's the same for Ebbsfleet, but it sounds like they knew what they were doing.
Diggerthedog

Agree with Adrian on this, our results against lesser teams have been very poor. Yes few trialists but these are supposed to be good enough and playing for contracts.

We lost four nil to a part time team, no excuses.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Reports I am getting is that it was worse then useless.

Did not lay a glove on them all afternoon and we were lucky to get nil.
TomMc

We're in serious trouble this year
shoreyda2nd

We all thought we were in trouble when we lost 3-0 at Luton one week before the season started, in a game where we didn't have a few trialists involved. Chill
mickeyblue

glad results dont matter in pre season!
but we finished 9th!
Lcbdagger

Result aside, all reports are saying Ebbsfleet were 'fitter and stronger'... that isn't on at this point of pre-season against a non-league side

Shocking stuff and not looking good... no idea how Wayne selects a new wide man of forward with results like this... how do you justify a contract??
Lcbdagger

Only just noticed that even Alex Osborn scored a goal for them and Anthony Cook set up two... top, top level opposition that :cry:
leewilson

Adrian wrote:4-0 to a team two divisions below and with a strongish side, isn't a bad result. It's ridiculous.

I'm not sure what it being early has to do with it. It's the same for Ebbsfleet, but it sounds like they knew what they were doing.
Like I said, it's poor but it happens in pre season. I can't comment on Ebbsfleet as I don't know their team situation. Anyway, I'm not defending us as our players SHOULD be performing to a higher standard and they have probably got a rocket from the manager for this. But in terms of it affecting our season, I doubt it'll have much impact. It'll be forgotten in a few weeks time when we've made some signings and have a first 11 in our minds. It's not ideal but it might be a blessing in disguise as it might show up 1-2 trialists as not showing the right attitude/determination to earn a deal. The likes of George Porter for example may not be what we need. It doesn't look like Cureton will be signing either as he's been quoted in the local paper as wanting to rejoin Cheltenham.

Anyway, just to give some perspective, Newcastle lost 6-1 to Orient a few years back in pre season. They won the Championship title that year with over 100 points.
Lcbdagger

Considering the players we need to bring in up front, the fact that we were described by two Kent guys as being 'an utter shambles at the back' fills me with little confidence... 'no ability to deal with balls in to the box' also sounded horribly familiar

Certainly not good that even Osborn scored against us... he couldn't even score a goal for the teams he was out on Loan to for the past few seasons!
Dagdale

Just got back home, too put it mildly what glimmer of hope did us 20-30 daggers see from this 90 minutes run around, please can somebody tell us? Its early days and a bit of experimenting with some 'new hopefuls' we know but did we actually give Preston Edwards their goalie a wet to his brow, well very unlikely cause to be honest there just didn't seem to be any plan laid out anywhere, I know as Wayne says friendly results don't matter but surely cant the lads make it worth a bit of effort for us the fans who travelled even if we DO get hammered 4-0. It was all over the place and Ebbsfleet were just running rings round us, and on a baking hot day down in Kent, the only good side to the day were the display by the Ebbsfleet faithful who were superb hosts all around us, friendliest bunch I've met for ages, they were outstanding. A guy from Kuwait has agreed to regenerate the club with capital and better facilities and along with Eastleigh think they're going only one way up now and real good luck to them! I'll be looking out for their results! Us, really hope we don't play as bad as this again for a long time, I'm slightly worried to say the least as were only three weeks away from the big off!
Adrian

leewilson wrote: Like I said, it's poor but it happens in pre season. I can't comment on Ebbsfleet as I don't know their team situation. Anyway, I'm not defending us as our players SHOULD be performing to a higher standard and they have probably got a rocket from the manager for this. But in terms of it affecting our season, I doubt it'll have much impact. It'll be forgotten in a few weeks time when we've made some signings and have a first 11 in our minds. It's not ideal but it might be a blessing in disguise as it might show up 1-2 trialists as not showing the right attitude/determination to earn a deal. The likes of George Porter for example may not be what we need. It doesn't look like Cureton will be signing either as he's been quoted in the local paper as wanting to rejoin Cheltenham.

Anyway, just to give some perspective, Newcastle lost 6-1 to Orient a few years back in pre season. They won the Championship title that year with over 100 points.
If Cureton doesn't want to sign for us then why the hell are we giving him games and helping him with his fitness? That's utterly, utterly ludicrous.
If this results shows some trialists as not being what we need, then surely the question is why are we even trialling them? Many of them aren't exactly completely unknown entities.

I have no problem with us losing friendlies to lower teams. I'm quite worried that we seem to be having the same problems we've been having for over a year.
How is it possible that we've not improved defending balls into our box in year?