Ebbsfleet 4 Daggers 0

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
matt_drfc

Lcbdagger wrote:Only just noticed that even Alex Osborn scored a goal for them and Anthony Cook set up two... top, top level opposition that :cry:
Anthony Cook is pretty decent tbf, not in full time football because of his actual job. I wouldn't mind him at all
ThatRoundThing

Three Pre Season friendlies I've been to now and I can honestly say I've never seen a Daggers team in such disarray at this stage of the season. For those who are just wishful thinking that "It'll be alright on the night" I think you are wrong.
If you look at other teams in our League and above, the majority win handsomely against lower league opposition and every team we have come up against are also using trialists.
From what I've seen so far I fear that both MK and Colchester will roll us over.
Colchester have easily won all their matches against lower opposition scoring lots in the process.
Yesterday was embarrassing and I watched a few Daggers fans leave well before the end.
I am genuinely fearful for the coming season considering we started with a strong team yesterday.
TheLion

A report on the game yesterday taken from a local newspaper to Ebbsfleet. More detail than we will get from anywhere else!

It certainly makes miserable reading.

Charlie Sheringham scored twice as Ebbsfleet brushed Dagenham & Redbridge aside on Saturday.

Steve Brown's side are two divisions below the Daggers but it was the Fleet who looked fitter, sharper and more cohesive on a hot afternoon in north Kent.

Summer signing Sheringham could easily have scored five goals on his own in a team display which will give Brown and the Fleet supporters plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the season ahead.

There was one trialist in the Ebbsfleet starting line-up, Richie Dilemfu, who lined up wide on the right.

Meanwhile, former Fleet defender Yado Mambo was named on the Dagenham bench alongside Gozie Ugwu, the 21-year-old forward who had a loan spell at Stonebridge Road in 2012.

Also among the Daggers substitutes was Bradley Goldberg, who played against the Fleet - five times - on loan at Bromley last season.

Ebbsfleet could have been ahead inside three minutes. Anthony Cook's left-wing free-kick found Sheringham unmarked but he sent his free header wide from 12 yards.

Ashley Chambers had Dagenham's first effort, but his shot was charged down, and Matt Partridge then skied a first-time drive from 30 yards.

The opening goal, on 11 minutes, had a touch of class about it.

Daryl McMahon floated over an inviting cross from the left and Sheringham matched his impressive leap with a powerful header towards the far corner. Daggers keeper Mark Cousins dived to his left and got a hand to the ball, but Sheringham's effort had just enough pace to creep into the net.

The aerial threat of Sheringham continued. McMahon found Cook, wide on the left, with a superb raking pass and his cross was nodded just over by Sheringham at the back post.

McMahon's next delivery, a right-wing corner, was palmed against the bar by Cousins, and Michael Corcoran then misjudged a close-range header from a good position.

Dagenham's play didn't have the fluency as that of their Conference South hosts, whose passing game had the Fleet fans applauding.

Joss Labadie tried his luck from 25 yards but his daisy-cutter dribbled well wide.

Eight minutes before the interval, it was 2-0. Cook again crossed from the left and there were a few raised eyebrows when Labadie was penalised for tangling with Corcoran at the back post. Bricknell didn't argue, though, sending Cousins the wrong way from 12 yards.

An excellent half for the Fleet almost got even better just before the break when Corcoran ran clear and sent a lob just the wrong side of Cousins' left-hand post.

McMahon almost caught out Cousins at the start of the second period, whipping a free-kick just past the near post from all of 35 yards.

Jamie Cureton, on trial with Dagenham, should have halved the deficit moments later. But the former Reading and Norwich striker contrived to hook the ball over from no more than a couple of yards out as the goal gaped in front of him.

A cheeky long-range effort from Chambers had Edwards back-pedalling but the Fleet keeper made a comfortable save.

Dagenham made nine changes on the hour mark and one of the new players contributed to a goal - at his own end. Scott Doe, attempting to clear Chris Sessegnon's deep cross from the right, instead guided it straight to Sheringham, who tapped home from a yard out.

The visitors were all over the place defensively. Fleet substitute Alex Osborn, who was released by Dagenham at the end of last season, forced a good save from replacement stopper Liam O'Brien. And when Jordan Sanderson waltzed past Doe down the Ebbsfleet left, his cross was almost turned in by the onrushing Bricknell.

Dagenham were being completely overrun.

Cook sprinted away from Ian Gayle and centered for Matt Godden, whose shot was well blocked. Sheringham then had a golden chance to complete his hat-trick when Joe Howe picked him out with a wonderful cross from the right, but the striker's header drifted wide.

The rout was complete nine minutes from the end; the irrepressible Cook running 50 yards and crossing left-footed for Osborn to score at the back post.

Ebbsfleet: Edwards, Sessegnon (Howe 70mins), Acheampong, Clark (Mazzone 88mins), Palmer, Dilemfu (Osborn 57mins), McMahon, Corcoran (Sanderson 60mins, Johnson 80mins), Cook, Sheringham (Fraser 75mins), Bricknell (Godden 65mins). Sub not used: Hall.

Dag & Red: Cousins, Partridge, Connors, Saah, Gayle, Bingham, Howell, Labadie, Cureton, Porter, Chambers. Subs: O'Brien, Doe, Ugwu, Ogogo, Green, Raymond, Goldberg, Guedioura, Connell, Fitzpatrick, Mambo.

Attendance: 432.
redboy

I think that we have flirted with the R word once too often, and from what I'm seeing and hearing, 11/2 isn't a bad price for us to go down. I pray I'm wrong, but from where I'm sitting I'm miffed at what's happening at the club. None of the new signings excite me, we still haven't got a decent striker who's fit, a Stuey Thurgood figure in midfield, nor a decent winger. I don't rate Chambers and cant see what he did last year to impress Wayne. Our 9th place finish last year flattered us massively and if we continue our home form the way we ended it, we are in a lot of trouble. I try to be optimistic as everyone else here, thinking that the Daggers spirit will see us alright, but I have a bad feeling about the coming season.
shoreyda2nd

redboy wrote:we still haven't got a decent striker who's fit,
Everyone was moaning last year to give Goldberg a chance. I'd also be very happy if we sign Connell which looks likely
a Stuey Thurgood figure in midfield
Abu? Plus Howell does a pretty good job sitting deeper whilst Abu plays a more attacking role
I still think we'll miss Lewy more than any of the others who have left, but it's still early days in pre-season with a squad that isn't yet finalised.
A year ago there were very similar thoughts and look how we did...
PaulHornchurch

We mustn't get carried away, last year taught us that.

For me O'Brian must start in goal.

I would like us to get Cureton, he will score goals, and I would like to see him paired with Goldberg, another one if given a run will score goals.

We now have four games coming up which I hope we can now see the team take shape, trial games are out the way now
USADAGGER nick

Cure ton won't come here. He's been saying in the press he just came here for fitness and it's a 10 minute drive from his house
ARNU

Looks like Thugs Partridge and Labadie cant find the goal(cant believe we've signed em,specially Pratridge)Did they beat anyone up or bite anybody ? Maybe Waynes seen enough of 'em now and will get rid of the scumbags,we can live in hope.

Otherwise,wouldnt read too much into a pre-season friendly however conceding 4 without reply is a bit ominous.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
rechitski kinzhal

I agree with you Arnu, my renewed optimism after the pleasantness of the season ticket reduction, and then reading the "Turning my back on the Premier League" book has all but evaporated. Bad results I can handle ..... but when we seem to have replaced fair players with thugs who seem to be no better than those they have replaced, then I just want none of it. The club have got my season ticket money - they can keep it, but will I bother to go along, no, I doubt it, I have already arranged things for the first couple of Saturdays. No plans at the moment to go at all.
NickMurphy

Glad I missed this one yesterday!
ARNU wrote:Looks like Thugs Partridge and Labadie cant find the goal(cant believe we've signed em,specially Pratridge)
Not surprised given Partridge is a defender.
matt_drfc

NickMurphy wrote:Glad I missed this one yesterday!
ARNU wrote:Looks like Thugs Partridge and Labadie cant find the goal(cant believe we've signed em,specially Pratridge)
Not surprised given Partridge is a defender.
I thought that too, Labadie scored out in Spain aswell.
Dagdale

Noticed no mention about yesterdays match on the daggers site?? Still Cheshunt match on view, have never known a following day report omitted or taking this long to print out? Bit strange that, maybe they want to forget about it as much as us the fans who journeyed down, or just nothing positive about our display worth mentioning.
matt_drfc

Dagdale wrote:Noticed no mention about yesterdays match on the daggers site?? Still Cheshunt match on view, have never known a following day report omitted or taking this long to print out? Bit strange that, maybe they want to forget about it as much as us the fans who journeyed down, or just nothing positive about our display worth mentioning.
They haven't even tweeted for 3 days... Not sure if you're a twitterer, but that's quite a long time for a football club, especially when there was a match yesterday.
leewilson

Ebbsfleet beat a strong Portsmouth side 3-0 today. I think they may be a force in the Conf South this season.
PaulHornchurch

They also beat Charlton 1-0 the other night