Maidenhead

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
redboy

What's happening? 2-0 up at HT. According to the BBC, DM has put out another new formation with Kenny Clark up front

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56248172

On seconds thoughts, keeping him as far away from our own penalty area is a managerial masterstroke! #COYD
jag

Well we got the win, but how close did we come to throwing it all away against a very poor Maidenhead side, I know that Robbo going off made a difference but what was Jones doing out there? his passing was awful his concentration was awful was he even fit enough? very disappointed with him, you could sense at 67 mins it was starting to go wrong, we seemed to look tired and as Mick Payne said we started to defend much deeper and allowed the inevitable to happen, we do make it difficult for ourselves although we rode out the game well to the end, I thought that Dean Rance had a very good game tonight and why do I still think that although McCullam got the goals I was glad when he was taken off. I don't know if this team actually know how good they are or can be, there is so much more that they can produce.
Diggerthedog

Don’t mind winning ugly you will do at this level several times a season, but it’s a huge concern that all our wins are like this with no wins by more than a one goal margin. Jones is not a midfielder stop playing him there, if you can’t get a space at the back leave him on the bench.

Robinson going off was the turning point, we lost tempo and shape but we hung on so a very welcome 3 points at home which we have found hard to do.

Tough game Saturday but still capable of getting a result.
Last edited by Diggerthedog on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Rode our luck at times, could have been 2-0 down before we scored with them hitting the woodwork twice and Justham made a fantastic save at the end of the first half.

Jones had some horrible touches, but my goodness, Sagraf didn’t even do that!

McCallum did what you want a forward to do - right place, right time and stuck it in the net twice.
Last edited by Alan on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagres

Got over the line but they never make it easy!
DaggerJoel11

Going 2-0 up a matter of minutes after they hit the bar then post was fortunate, but also the very kind of thing that seems go against us more frequently.

Once again our inability to put a game beyond our opposition is what turned this from a potentially commanding victory to an unconvincing one, while we were also dented by the injury to Robinson.

Win's a win though and I'd say we shaded it on the balance of play. Weston was excellent and I also thought Clark was immense. Plus, as mentioned, McCallum did everything you'd want your number 9 to do.

Onto Stockport then. Another scruffy victory would do fine.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
themightydagger

At the end of the day it's 3 points. On countless occasions we haven't been clinical and that's the difference between 0 and 3 points. If we finished like we did in other games, we would've been 1-0 down. McCallum did what we did best and nabbed goals in the box. Not pretty but luck was on our side with a nice bit of finishing up top. If we can limit the first 10 minutes of action on our goal after each restart, we will be okay.
Pablo

I'm finally convinced that Johnson is a good player and relieved that Balanta seems back to nearly his best. Clark too for some reason has looked more solid. I'm glad Mccallum poked a couple over the line which might boost his confidence but I'm not persuaded he holds the ball up or leads the line well. Wright was vulnerable last night and if he defends like that against Stockport we're in trouble. I still think Croll is a better option. Jones looks ring rusty but I'm convinced he is useful. He was wasteful on the ball but seems in general to have more time on the ball than some.
Still, more light at the end of the tunnel.
Mark

Clark has looked much better because he's settled in the middle of the 3. He can go and be aggressive in the air, or he can sweep up when the other two are marking on the deck. He doesn't get run or dragged wide, other than when the guys to the side are caught up the pitch. It's playing to his strength rather than asking him to do jobs he can't do.

Right centre back is a big problem at the moment. Reynolds and Wright are both accidents waiting to happen, they lose concentration and make poor decisions. I'd like Jones there longer term. The only way Croll could come back is if Clark was moved across which is a bad idea, or if Johnson was dropped which he doesn't deserve.

I worry about us if Robinson is injured. I think we struggled a lot when we were missing runners in the team earlier in the season. At the moment, we are just about striking a balance because the midfield are working their nuts off to get in the box and to win second balls, which covers for the lack of pace and running of our front 2. I think if we go to Stockport with Jones or Adams replacing Robinson we'll probably get a pasting as we won't be able to get good possession in their half.