Signings, signings and more bloody signings

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

I remember a time in the not too distant past, when a new signing was greeted generally with a bit of excitement. A new addition to the squad, you hope they will bring a bit of stability and/or flair to the team.

Now all I see and feel is a completely over inflated squad (26 players?), chock a block of also-rans, here for an easy pound note.

Signings that are being made in nothing other than complete and utter desperation of some miniscule hope that despite being utter whack for 95% of the season, can still somehow snatch that last playoff place.

All, let's not forget at a time when our MD was running his relentless campaign to get more tax payer funded dosh into the coffers of us and other NL Clubs.

Perhaps a bit of a pointless ramble but interested to see if any other supporters felt the same.
Last edited by dagger4eva on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

I agree. It's all very odd. How do we suddenly release a player who was deemed good enough to play only on Tuesday. He didn't set the world on fire but was hardly the worst and certainly - based on what I've seen - the equal to Vilhete, and the new guy who has no experience at this level.
We can't seem to stop buying players at a time when we and most other clubs in the league are claiming dire poverty. At this rate we'll end uo having fielded 30 players over the season when everyone knows the secret of successful teams is consistency of selection.

Players also seem to disappear into the ether for weeks or months on end and it all can't be attributable to Covid. Brundle, Elefetharou, Smith,
Croll and Jones ( on Tuesday) and Robinson ,of course earlier in the season. As I said all very odd.
steeevooo

I totally agree, and I really dont think that it shows up well on our club that the MD has been so vocal about our need for grants, not loans, etc whilst we then go out and are seemingly on an endless run of signing players, either on loan or on contract. We shouldnt be pleading poverty/requesting assistance from government/campaigning local MPs if we are simultaneously spunking money on players left, right and centre!
Auntie Merge

I’m in agreement. We can’t plead poverty and then sign a new player every week. We are becoming one of those mercenary clubs everyone hates.
Diggerthedog

The recent signings from the leagues below are for the future is my guess, I think the club know the game is up in terms of play offs and they’re now treating it as an early pre-season by trialing players from the voided leagues below.

Reckon we could see a huge overhaul of players this summer, unfortunately some of them we won’t be able to move on and are stuck with,

The recent signings are all John Still’s doing as McMahon only signed players he knew or they’re were known to anyone who cared. Only Saunders could be classed as a ‘gem’ but I hear that was Still’s doing anyway.

Less said about the begging bowl cringefest the better.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Auntie Merge wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:26 pm I’m in agreement. We can’t plead poverty and then sign a new player every week. We are becoming one of those mercenary clubs everyone hates.
Yes, regretfully I agree with this. Doesn’t sit well with me
hockley dagger

The trouble is the approach being taken doesn't really seem to be working. A decade ago we were playing Huddersfield, Southampton and Brighton. Today, after conceding an injury time equaliser to Weymouth we travel to Altrincham. I didn't watch on Tuesday and I shall be watching rugby league later and look forward to getting back to the ground in the Autumn when hopefully the team will have gelled. Getting the begging bowl out at the same time as signing and potentially making severance payments to players is a bit rich. It has put me off a bit. At work I'm hearing stories from businesses in all sorts of sectors that are on the brink, and which have had less support than the National League so my sympathy is extremely limited.
SUSSEX DAGGER

We are ravaged by injuries/covid, what the Adam's situation is about well you can only surmise that something has gone on.

Looks like that's all we have for today's game.

Let's get this right however, if this latest hardly earth shattering signing is furloughed by his current Club then there is nothing to stop him claiming his furlough payment and then applying his trade elsewhere. So in all probability when we offered the lad the other 20% to play for us and help in our current crisis I bet he jumped at it.

Smith is probably another one this applies to . If as I suspect this is what is going on, I currently employ somebody doing just this, then these.two players are in fact costing half as much as what Adam's was costing us