BBC Wrexham Love In

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Alan

24 stories on the front page of the BBC National -League section, 3 of them are for a general news round up for multiple clubs, one is the appointment of a new chairman for the National League. 15 of the remaining 20 are about Wrexham.

They sign a player, it gets its own news story; other sides sign a player, it goes in the general news roundup.

It’s like the BBC-Salford affair all over again.
Dagdale

Makes you wonder about our level now and noticing how its changing somewhat? Also notice that they've sold 6.000 season tickets and almost to a sell out I believe. Nothing wrong with being comfortable just look how we dropped with finances a couple or so seasons back, a real worry at the time and were extremely grateful to the outcome but do you think its high profile movie stars and how the media love a 'good story' that now seems to have gone over board with it all? Them, our first opponents and a couple of other big shots are making this league 'where the others try to muscle in below and fight just for a play off slot is the future? Suppose we can take some note on how out of all circumstances Sutton United achieved with a low key manager last season and give us all some hope. certainly making Chester fans well peed off lately!
Alan

And on it goes - 10 of the first 14 stories on bbc national league page are about Wrexham.
McLeansvilleAppFan

Alan wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:46 pm And on it goes - 10 of the first 14 stories on bbc national league page are about Wrexham.
Are the owners trying to win at all costs regardless of operating the team at a loss or famous owners that have picked up a famous aging player or some young up-and-coming snotty nosed whippersnapper?
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
dj johnny b

I was going to post agreement with your first post, Alan. But today is the piece de resistance - Wrexham National League season preview indeed. As if the rest don't exist or matter.It is crass, lazy, copy and paste journalism of the lowest order and the BBC should be ashamed of it. Result: most of us at the other clubs will be well amused if the Follywood $ doesn't pay dividends.
Kevin

I can't really get too worked about it to be honest, the continual stream of Wrexham guff is just clickbait for the BBC website - similar ilk to "Nigel Clough's Burton Albion" etc..

Hopefully we'll manage to get a little mention if we put 3 or 4 past them! :grin:
McLeansvilleAppFan

If it makes anyone feel better this sort of thing happens in the US as well. I mostly follow college athletics in the US and there are 5-10 college gridiron football teams that get 90% of the press coverage, and most of it is driven by television networks that also have a financial interest in the success of those particular schools and the conferences they are members of as well. Given the funding (that I am aware of) of the BBC I don't see the financial incentive at play but as someone mentioned possibly lazy journalism.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.