Daggers article

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:Dunno why Ricky gets such a hard time on here.He's pretty much covered it in that Blog,the minutae and in depth detail nobody else will care about anyway except for the ardent pedantic daggers historians out there,and they already know anyway.
The Daggers can trace their history back to 1881 if you try a bit, and most certainly back to 1992, contrary to some views that history started in 2007. Arguably the best sustained period of success we had came under Garry Hill - 2000 Isthmian Champions, 2001 Conference 3rd & FA Cup 3rd round replay, 2002 Conference 2nd (Bostongate season) & FA Cup 3rd round, 2003 Conference play off final & FA Cup 4th round. While under John Still we had some great times too, he never had a run of successful seasons like that, and pretty much ignored the cup competitions.

"Still had transformed the club from Ryman League also-rans into League Two play off winners" is straight, old fashioned, incorrect. The worst Ryman League finish under Father Ted was 4th (not exactly also-rans, these days a play off spot at least) and Still never came near the club in that time, so linking him with it is lazy and could have been worded better without a lot of extra words making Ricky's excuse redundant. We also had a Wembley Final during that time in case you missed it (I guess you did).

At least no-one got accused of being a Neanderthal or on day release though so its an improvement.
Auntie Merge

rikyb wrote:
Auntie Merge wrote:I suggest that with the factual inaccuracies and manipulating the truth, and then the attention seeking post on here, (knowing full well what the responses would be) RickyB is now the Daggers version of Liz Jones (the nightmare female 'journalist' from the Daily Fail).
Wow. Being called an attention seeker from someone who constantly complains about their health and seems to have very condition known to man only worse than anyone else has ever had, and for no other reason, it appears, than to get sympathy ... irony right there.

I posted the piece on here not for attention; if I wanted that I would have posted the link to the magazine it was in and told you all to subscribe. No, I posted it as I thought some on here may have been interested. It is like if a friend of yours reads something about the Daggers they may well post you the link as they think you might be interested in it. It was no more than that.

The piece was not written for Daggers fans, it was written for football fans mostly from abroad. It was therefore not necessary to be 100% historically and factually correct. I was merely setting the scene for the piece about the club's progress this season.

I also mistakenly thought that a new forum would lead to new people with open minds but I should have known better. I apologise. I will leave you all in piece. Shame, as I hoped this would be different with Nick running things.

Oh and thanks ARNU for actually getting it. Somehow I thought you might. A higher intelligence you see.
I have never complained about my health. I have posted stuff about migraine to raise awareness, not for sympathy. A wide amount of discussion has resulted in me giving anonymous interviews to the National Press on behalf of the Migraine Trust. If I was such an attention seeker why would I remain anonymous.

You can stand on the self righteous bandwagon about us Daggers fans 'not getting it' but to completely erase Garry Hill is outrageous. How many words would it have taken to say 'John Still built on the successes of Garry Hill who took the club out of the Ryman League'? Or something similar.

Liz Rickyb Jones who chooses the facts to suit themselves.
DaggerSince92

Good article. This debate will be the highlight of some people's week.
rikyb

Mike the Dagger wrote:
ARNU wrote:Dunno why Ricky gets such a hard time on here.He's pretty much covered it in that Blog,the minutae and in depth detail nobody else will care about anyway except for the ardent pedantic daggers historians out there,and they already know anyway.
The Daggers can trace their history back to 1881 if you try a bit, and most certainly back to 1992, contrary to some views that history started in 2007. Arguably the best sustained period of success we had came under Garry Hill - 2000 Isthmian Champions, 2001 Conference 3rd & FA Cup 3rd round replay, 2002 Conference 2nd (Bostongate season) & FA Cup 3rd round, 2003 Conference play off final & FA Cup 4th round. While under John Still we had some great times too, he never had a run of successful seasons like that, and pretty much ignored the cup competitions.

"Still had transformed the club from Ryman League also-rans into League Two play off winners" is straight, old fashioned, incorrect. The worst Ryman League finish under Father Ted was 4th (not exactly also-rans, these days a play off spot at least) and Still never came near the club in that time, so linking him with it is lazy and could have been worded better without a lot of extra words making Ricky's excuse redundant. We also had a Wembley Final during that time in case you missed it (I guess you did).

At least no-one got accused of being a Neanderthal or on day release though so its an improvement.
Yes thanks for the history lesson. But the article was about Still leaving, Burnett taking over and where the club is now. The fact is the club was football also-rans in the Ryman League and Still transformed them from a non-league 'pub' team into a League One club. That is the point I made.
rikyb

Auntie Merge wrote:
rikyb wrote:
Auntie Merge wrote:I suggest that with the factual inaccuracies and manipulating the truth, and then the attention seeking post on here, (knowing full well what the responses would be) RickyB is now the Daggers version of Liz Jones (the nightmare female 'journalist' from the Daily Fail).
Wow. Being called an attention seeker from someone who constantly complains about their health and seems to have very condition known to man only worse than anyone else has ever had, and for no other reason, it appears, than to get sympathy ... irony right there.

I posted the piece on here not for attention; if I wanted that I would have posted the link to the magazine it was in and told you all to subscribe. No, I posted it as I thought some on here may have been interested. It is like if a friend of yours reads something about the Daggers they may well post you the link as they think you might be interested in it. It was no more than that.

The piece was not written for Daggers fans, it was written for football fans mostly from abroad. It was therefore not necessary to be 100% historically and factually correct. I was merely setting the scene for the piece about the club's progress this season.

I also mistakenly thought that a new forum would lead to new people with open minds but I should have known better. I apologise. I will leave you all in piece. Shame, as I hoped this would be different with Nick running things.

Oh and thanks ARNU for actually getting it. Somehow I thought you might. A higher intelligence you see.
I have never complained about my health. I have posted stuff about migraine to raise awareness, not for sympathy. A wide amount of discussion has resulted in me giving anonymous interviews to the National Press on behalf of the Migraine Trust. If I was such an attention seeker why would I remain anonymous.

You can stand on the self righteous bandwagon about us Daggers fans 'not getting it' but to completely erase Garry Hill is outrageous. How many words would it have taken to say 'John Still built on the successes of Garry Hill who took the club out of the Ryman League'? Or something similar.

Liz Rickyb Jones who chooses the facts to suit themselves.
Have you not started a thread on this forum about your insomnia? And I have read stuff about various other health issues you have, none of which were anonymous as they were all under your name. Attention seeking of the highest order.
Masked Man

Yay!! The Fighting has begun.... :lol:
dcassidy

Im with rickyb here, merge you are endlessley posting stuff about how ill you are, couldnt make a game coz of this or that reason blah blah. Bit pot kettle black for you to be having a pop at ricky for seeking attention imo.
Get over yaself love

BTW ricky, decent blog even if you did miss out the garry hill era
leewilson

dcassidy wrote:Im with rickyb here, merge you are endlessley posting stuff about how ill you are, couldnt make a game coz of this or that reason blah blah. Bit pot kettle black for you to be having a pop at ricky for seeking attention imo.
Get over yaself love
Like she said, she does it to raise awareness.

At the same time, I don't like the fact that people are picking on Riky because of his past. If Nick posts that blog, people just kindly point out the factual error. Because it's Riky, Mike (who has previous with Riky) and 1-2 others have jumped on him like a pack of vultures.

I don't always agree with what Riky writes and his opinions but he has done absolutely nothing wrong here apart from producing an inaccuracy. Leave him alone.
dagger4eva

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
What Lee said!

Give the man a break FFS
Mike the Dagger

leewilson wrote:If Nick posts that blog, people just kindly point out the factual error. Because it's Riky, Mike (who has previous with Riky) and 1-2 others have jumped on him like a pack of vultures.

I don't always agree with what Riky writes and his opinions but he has done absolutely nothing wrong here apart from producing an inaccuracy. Leave him alone.
Who's jumped on anyone? I think you need to read what has been said back Lee, as what was said about the article (not by me in the first case) was indeed gently pointing out a factual error (two in fact if you count that Saint Ricky obviously hasn't seen Medy Elito play this season).

The impression given, that John Still alone is responsible for all that Dagenham & Redbridge FC have ever achieved, was defended as being a necessary stretching of the truth due to word count restrictions which is total nonsense, it's just lazy writing by someone that is allegedly a professional journo and allegedly a fan of the club he's writing about.

The main difference between Nick and Ricky, is that Nick actually is a supporter of the club. It would be interesting to know when Ricky last paid to see the Daggers play a game.
Harbour View

To be fair, l thought it was a great little piece. OK, there were a few inaccuracies but the whole idea was to create awareness about our reasurgence when most people had written the team off. As Ricky said, he just posted a copy of the article purely for the supporters information. I am sure the average football supporter wouldn't know if it was Gary Hill or John Still got ourselves out of the Ryman League those years ago. I am glad that they did though. That's history ! Where we are today is important and in 8th place in Division Two of The Football League, with such a young developing team shows that we could have much more success to come.

Yes and I do agree about 'woe is me Sue'.

Got to go now and tend to my ailments......lol.
DiggerDagger1

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Harbour View wrote:Gary Hill
http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... ?stid=-4#g
John Steel was our best manager!!
Auntie Merge

Have you not started a thread on this forum about your insomnia? And I have read stuff about various other health issues you have, none of which were anonymous as they were all under your name. Attention seeking of the highest order.[/quote]

The 'insomnia club' isn't just about me; it was on another forum which has now closed. There are quite a lot of people who for one reason or another cant sleep and have no one to talk to. I am hoping that a few other people who were on that forum will come and post here.

And as to the person who posted 'woe is me sue'; when I am not at the games people ask where I am. The manager asked where I was. The fact I may not have been well is incidental to the fact that people notice my absence.

If anyone has read anything about my health they will know I have never posted for sympathy. Life has dealt me a hand of cards, it may not be the hand I chose, but I am damned sure I am going to play it to the best of my ability. If by raising awareness of my illness I have offended you then I apologise, but I promise you from my email inbox I can tell that I have helped far more people than I have offended.
DaggerSince92

You are a true inspiration to us all. Respect.