Morc.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

Pondfield Dagger wrote:we need to sort out the right back position asap... batt not good enough...spurs and now morecambe, just awful...
We'll lets start by playing somebody there who is at least fit. How you turn up first game of the season looking well off the pace like Batt looked to me beggers belief. What did they do in Spain?

Also the left back needs to get his finger out. The defence is a complete mess and if you give goals away like we did today then it's only going to end in tears.

Oh we'll let's just hope our away form is as good as last season because make no mistake there will be better teams then Morecambe coming to us this season and they have made us look totally second rate.
FullMetalDagger

TommyD&R wrote: and lastly we really need to think of a better chant for Goldberg.

yeah us wrestling geeks are to blame for that one ;)
TommyD&R

FullMetalDagger wrote:
TommyD&R wrote: and lastly we really need to think of a better chant for Goldberg.

yeah us wrestling geeks are to blame for that one ;)
Ahhh it all makes a bit more sense now
matt_drfc

I thought Batt looked decent, at least he got involved, tried to go forward, passed it quite well, covered others defensively and weren't afraid to put his foot in, certainly played well enough not to be singled out.

My biggest problem today was the lack of balls in behind their defence, we put plenty on their heads, but we would have had more joy putting it over their heads/between the cb and full back for Cureton, Chambers, Hemmings and Porter to chase onto, Cureton especially, his movement is class and should be utilised better, their defenders were like snails and we should have taken advantage, the times we did try to chip the ball in behind, we was too close to goal so there was no space at all.

Boucaud disappointed me today, didn't get on the ball enough, would have rathered Labadie.. And we do need a striker who can head the ball, plenty of crosses went in, and because there was no one to head the ball, the cross seems poor.

On Tuesday I wouldn't change the team too much, but I'd give Cousins a go, Labadie for Boucaud, Porter for Howell and possibly Goldberg for Cureton.
Diggerthedog

Funny how people jump on Batt and Conners but Scott doe was poor today and not even mentioned. Today we was to comfortable in the first half and Morecambe pressed for 5 mins 2nd half and game over. We are far to light weight to grind out results even at home and that needs to be rectified and fast. Expecting two defeats next two league games and come Mansfield at home it could get very ugly. £179 for season ticket don't seem like a good but now. We got drubbed first game last season so let's hope it has a happy ending.
Dagdale

Can't believe that we played a whole 90 minutes against probably the tallest side in this Division with only a rather diminutive Cureton up front, the writing was on the wall! We made a relatively poor side come out thrumps and probably couldn't believe their luck on a joyous return up the M6.
NickMurphy

Well...erm...not the way I wanted to start the season!

Can only really echo what's already been said, and while Wayne clearly wants us to play "the right way", I think what we need in League Two has been neglected in favour of what we want, if that makes sense. We don't have enough strength to compete, although this is the first game, I just feel we weren't strong or physical enough. As has been pointed out, Cureton up front on his own appeared to be something of mistake, a good player no doubt, but he needs someone up there with him - I don't really like seeing us play one up top at home either regardless of the number of wingers we have on the pitch. That was the one good thing today mind, thought Chambers did pretty well, made some marauding runs forward which at least looked dangerous if nothing else. Hemmings was underwhelming, one particular occasion where he done well to beat his man...then proceeded to try and do it twice more before giving away the ball and setting Morecambe up for a break.The backline was far from impressive as well and while Doe may have had a below par game, I think Batt's weaknesses showed far more. Looked ok going forward, but defensively looked very suspect.

Again, I know it's early days, but I feel we need physicality in the side. Can we have Peter Gain back please?

Also, having just watched the highlights back in the FL Show, there is absolutely no way in hell that the penalty should have been given. I'd be a bit embarrassed had we got a penalty like that.

Anyway, final thought is that if there is anyway we can resurrect the Doidge deal, please make it happen.
FullMetalDagger

seen the highlights on SSN, no matter how many times i rewatched it i couldnt see a penalty anywhere in there.
TheLion

Being generous, I feel that difference between the quality of the team that finished last season and the team yesterday was that Scott had a stinker.

However being less generous, I feel that the quality of the squad has gone down since last season.

Why Shields is never given a chance is beyond me when I look at the quality of the numerous wingers that Wayne prefers to play instead of Shields.

It was like watching men against boys yesterday, and Morecambe were the favourites to get relegated before they played us.

As others have said on this thread, Allison would walk into my team anytime.
Dagger83

TheLion wrote: It was like watching men against boys yesterday, and Morecambe were the favourites to get relegated before they played us.
If you're talking about the stature of the players then I agree. If you're talking about how good the respective teams were, I disagree. Morecambe were very ordinary at best but had a 10 minute spell where two key decisions went their way. We were poor and deserved to lose but apart from not dealing with their height very well, there wasn't much between the teams. If anything, I think we played the better football only we had the penetration of a 80 year old impotent man.
Last edited by Dagger83 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Diggerthedog

TheLion wrote:Being generous, I feel that difference between the quality of the team that finished last season and the team yesterday was that Scott had a stinker.

However being less generous, I feel that the quality of the squad has gone down since last season.

Why Shields is never given a chance is beyond me when I look at the quality of the numerous wingers that Wayne prefers to play instead of Shields.

It was like watching men against boys yesterday, and Morecambe were the favourites to get relegated before they played us.

As others have said on this thread, Allison would walk into my team anytime.
Sheilds has been injured most of pre season was not really going to start but then again Batt has not had much of a pre season and walks straight in the team despite the young lad playing there doing quite well.
Dagger83

Shields is another Monty isn't he? Not up to the job but the fans calling for his name every week. I thought he looked pretty good in pre season last year but if he's not getting the games there must be a reason.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mark

Shields won't cut it. I'd be amazed if he ever becomes a regular. He's made better by not playing, every team has a player who the fans call for but in reality isn't going to change much.
ARNU

Sheilds is nothing special from what i've seen now.Just another anonymous winger ala Dom Green stylee.Im more surprised Goldberg is still benched.Play Goldberg and Cureton together that might work but we'll have to stop hoofing.It reminds me of when West ham wouldn't field Tevez or Mascherano.Just waiting for a crocked Murphy and a mercenary Hines wont keep us up.No doubt Wayne will make 7 changes in the next game as well.Im worried he might not quite know what he's doing just yet.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

Just watched the highlights again two things immediately become obvious.

If everybody's Favourite, our player of the year and Captain does not turn away whilst standing on the end of the wall from Ellisons daisy cutter of a free kick, the first goal does not go in.

If the only Person in not only the Ground but the whole of borough who thinks that is a penalty is not the referee the second goal does not happen.

Unlucky not to get away with a nil nil there. The question of did we deserve to is another question altogether.