Nicey nicey

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Anyone else as pleased as I am that we appear to have lost our nicey, nicey approach to games now. We have players with some actual character, heart & spirit back in the side. Not afraid to get stuck in & ruffle the oppositions feathers.

Although different positions, for Peter Gain, see Rhy Murphy. Up for it, gets stuck in, gets the crowd going.

Obviously the diving issue is a different topic altogether, despite the fact I think some of the criticism towards some of our players for doing this has been ultra harsh), particularly towards Hines.

Just wondered what others thought...
DagenHammer87

It was time to drop that old fashioned approach on and off the field a long time ago.

While it's good to see the club run as a business, the unfortunate business of having a boss that seemingly played his friends every Saturday has gone and has been replaced with a hungry, passionate attitude.

The players look as if they want to play.

As for the other issue, we're not the first to have players do it and we will be far removed from being the last. While I appreciate there's winning, and winning in the right way; this outdated view has seen us struggle.

The refereeing standard at the levels that we've been at in the past 20 odd years have been questionable to say the least, and even at this level; teams will do whatever is required to gain an advantage. We haven't done that because of this "friendly" approach and look how we've suffered. Opponents for two decades have come to Victoria Road as a visitor and through their antics have treated it like a home ground. Isn't it nice to dish it out a bit for a change?

We'd have to go a long long way before we're considered a kn***er team like Rotherham, Crawley et all.

Long may this continue. We're a football club. If you want to be gentlemen; I'm sure the local rugger boys are looking for some support!
admin
Site Admin

DagenHammer87 wrote:It was time to drop that old fashioned approach on and off the field a long time ago.

While it's good to see the club run as a business, the unfortunate business of having a boss that seemingly played his friends every Saturday has gone and has been replaced with a hungry, passionate attitude.

The players look as if they want to play.

As for the other issue, we're not the first to have players do it and we will be far removed from being the last. While I appreciate there's winning, and winning in the right way; this outdated view has seen us struggle.

The refereeing standard at the levels that we've been at in the past 20 odd years have been questionable to say the least, and even at this level; teams will do whatever is required to gain an advantage. We haven't done that because of this "friendly" approach and look how we've suffered. Opponents for two decades have come to Victoria Road as a visitor and through their antics have treated it like a home ground. Isn't it nice to dish it out a bit for a change?

We'd have to go a long long way before we're considered a kn***er team like Rotherham, Crawley et all.

Long may this continue. We're a football club. If you want to be gentlemen; I'm sure the local rugger boys are looking for some support!
I agree with a lot of this, I would quite like to make some slight changes to image of the club in order for us to progress. What we need off the pitch is to somehow attract new fans, younger fans to generate better attendances and people who are more likely to make noise and create a better atmosphere. Our nicey nicey approach is quite honourable and does have it's advantages which I make the most of but in order for us to progress we need a slight image change. The question is though how do we go about doing this
DagenHammer87

Do what we're already doing...

Have investment in the team from player sales instead of skinning a turd for ha'penny all the time instead of some of the time.

Recruit a manager and players that play successful (if not always attractive football) - after all it's a results business and people will turn up if they think we'll win.

Realise that we can't compete with the local likes of West Ham. Get the club to be a bit imaginative - Sunday games when West Ham are at home a couple of times per season?

Scrap the "daggers against racism" days and rebrand them, turn them into community days and get them advertised on the radio and in the local papers much more than we have been.

Drop all u15 tickets to £1 all season for league games. It's affordable, you can take your mates in. Get the message out to schools in Barking, Dagenham AND Redbridge, because believe it or not, Redbridge schools get nothing from us.

And my favourite idea - Virtual season tickets. If thommo or anyone wants to discuss this let me know. We already film the games for the highlights. Why not make some money and charge a fee to stream the game live? Commentary free, but the main thing is seeing the game. Charge a fee, and announce how many in attendance and how many virtual fans during home games. It's modern, it'll bring money in, even if people aren't getting in the gate. You still will get 1500+ Every couple of weeks. Even if it attracts another 100/200, that's still revenue for something that we already do.

Work on the "community" club tag - get the community service people in to clean the bogs and sweep the terraces, then give them a free ticket to the next game as a "reward" even if it's a punishment.

I've said it before as well.. On the website have a suggestions area where people can submit business ideas.

Virtually all of the above gets people in. Find niches in the market, get the results and if you build it they will come!
Richie

DagenHammer87 wrote:Do what we're already doing...

Have investment in the team from player sales instead of skinning a turd for ha'penny all the time instead of some of the time.

Recruit a manager and players that play successful (if not always attractive football) - after all it's a results business and people will turn up if they think we'll win.

Realise that we can't compete with the local likes of West Ham. Get the club to be a bit imaginative - Sunday games when West Ham are at home a couple of times per season?

Scrap the "daggers against racism" days and rebrand them, turn them into community days and get them advertised on the radio and in the local papers much more than we have been.

Drop all u15 tickets to £1 all season for league games. It's affordable, you can take your mates in. Get the message out to schools in Barking, Dagenham AND Redbridge, because believe it or not, Redbridge schools get nothing from us.

And my favourite idea - Virtual season tickets. If thommo or anyone wants to discuss this let me know. We already film the games for the highlights. Why not make some money and charge a fee to stream the game live? Commentary free, but the main thing is seeing the game. Charge a fee, and announce how many in attendance and how many virtual fans during home games. It's modern, it'll bring money in, even if people aren't getting in the gate. You still will get 1500+ Every couple of weeks. Even if it attracts another 100/200, that's still revenue for something that we already do.

Work on the "community" club tag - get the community service people in to clean the bogs and sweep the terraces, then give them a free ticket to the next game as a "reward" even if it's a punishment.

I've said it before as well.. On the website have a suggestions area where people can submit business ideas.

Virtually all of the above gets people in. Find niches in the market, get the results and if you build it they will come!
I'd have thought that no FL or PL club is allowed to stream a game at 3pm. If you could surely Prem teams would be doing it.
DagenHammer87

I think it's down to that dirty word "streaming".

It seems like a hoodoo word to a lot of people, but with the express permission of the football league - and even a token fee from every "ticket" sold, it could work.

The premier league are their own body, with their own rules. It's ok to show our highlights freely on YouTube, whereas you'd never get that in the prem.

Has the club ever looked into anything like this?
jaymz

DagenHammer87 wrote:I think it's down to that dirty word "streaming".

It seems like a hoodoo word to a lot of people, but with the express permission of the football league - and even a token fee from every "ticket" sold, it could work.

The premier league are their own body, with their own rules. It's ok to show our highlights freely on YouTube, whereas you'd never get that in the prem.

Has the club ever looked into anything like this?
Broadcast rights to matches are not owned by the respective clubs, but by the Football League, who then divvy out the income.

With regards to Saturday 3PM games, there is a blackout of live English football on television between 2.45PM and 5.15PM, hence the last day of the Premier League being on a Sunday, and the last day of the Championship being at Saturday lunchtime
Daggers No 2 Fan

DagenHammer87 wrote:Do what we're already doing...

I'd say a few of your ideas don't get people in.
We've had games on Fridays and Sundays in the past. Crowds weren't any better. Our games don't generally clash with West Ham do they?

Not sure about this virtual ticket idea. Surely it would cost something to do? On the rare occasions we are televised live, there is loads of equipment and trucks around the ground. Wouldn't we need more equipment than we currently have?