Commercial Nous

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TheLion

Interesting piece in The Times today about the wheeling and dealing of Barry Fry at Peterborough.

The article states that when Boro sold Gayle on to Palace, they had only paid a sum total of £110k to us at that point. (6 months after he started playing for them)

The deal seems to have been £50k down payment then £10k per month.

I know what I think about these numbers but I will let you consider if anyone else would have agreed to such a deal, even if Ian Holloway did save our bacon by taking him to Palace for a fortune.

The benefit of the Holloway deal is what is keeping us solvent at the moment but the pot is draining away and where is the next gem to be sold off?
leewilson

TheLion wrote:Interesting piece in The Times today about the wheeling and dealing of Barry Fry at Peterborough.

The article states that when Boro sold Gayle on to Palace, they had only paid a sum total of £110k to us at that point. (6 months after he started playing for them)

I know what I think about these numbers but I will let you consider if anyone else would have agreed to such a deal, even if Ian Holloway did save our bacon by taking him to Palace for a fortune.

The benefit of the Holloway deal is what is keeping us solvent at the moment but the pot is draining away and where is the next gem to be sold off?
It will be Doidge if we somehow manage to resurrect the deal.
Diggerthedog

TheLion wrote:Interesting piece in The Times today about the wheeling and dealing of Barry Fry at Peterborough.

Makes sense to me, cashflow is very important for a company of our size.
TheLion

Diggerthedog, I agree that cashflow is important, but we were paid £50k up front not £500k which would have been closer to what I would have expected.

£10k per month is probably less than some of their squad earn per month.

Peterborough have taken the P*** too many times.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Would have thought that there was plenty of transfer deals structured this way.

The likelihood of us getting anywhere near what we got without going via Peterborough I would suggest were remote. The minute he was sold to Palace all outstanding money had to be paid.

Don't see any problem and the way things panned out to my mind made everybody a winner.

Would we honestly got 1.5 million for him if he had stayed with us, somehow I doubt it.
Richie

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Would have thought that there was plenty of transfer deals structured this way.

The likelihood of us getting anywhere near what we got without going via Peterborough I would suggest were remote. The minute he was sold to Palace all outstanding money had to be paid.

Don't see any problem and the way things panned out to my mind made everybody a winner.

Would we honestly got 1.5 million for him if he had stayed with us, somehow I doubt it.
Agreed Sussex. People looking for things to complain about after Saturday's shocker IMO
TheLion

The thread had nothing to do with the debacle on Saturday.
Diggerthedog

This is how all deals are structured even at the highest level, doubt Real Madrid paid out all the money for Bale upfront. Normally the payments are structured around the length of the players contracts are or a vast majority of that period.
Lcbdagger

Basically what we are saying is that we could have got more money in, only if Peterborough had kept Gayle longer and then he moved on Palace... didn't they fail to get promotion after he left following their relegation? So the deal hasn't helped them really on the football side, even if the money was great... no guarantee they will go up now having let Assombalonga go for another big fee.