York City (A) grievances before, during and after the fixture here

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ThatRoundThing

We had bought advanced train tickets for York for £27.40 each return plus travel from Thurrock to Kings Cross on the day.
We decided to go anyway and visit the usual places in the City we had been to before, the Shambles and Shambles market etc.
Everywhere was packed, pubs were packed full most showing cricket and horse racing on TVs. Everywhere was LOUD with revellers, hen parties, birthday celebrations etc. but a great atmosphere throughout the city we found.
Although possibly drunken carnage to some I suspect would have occurred later into the night.
Made a mockery I felt of cancellation of football, more to do with over stretching Met Police for everything that is going on in London. Cancel one area, cancel the lot I think.
Anyway we met two regular Daggers fans that we knew on the train and a further 6 around various pubs.
Had a few beers and a chin wag in the afternoon with some before we set off to Drakes Fish and Chips, Petergate, York, which I can highly recommend, before heading off to the station for the 7.30pm journey home. (Delayed 20 minutes).
hockley dagger

Exactly the same fare and train back as Mr Round Thing for a 500.mile round trip. The lad didn't do so well - heavy delays so got back to Edinburgh at 1.30am. He tells me met officers are in Edinburgh and it's heaving with people for the laying in state. I suspect the met and other forces will be fully stretched later in the week as vips fly in for the funeral. I wouldn't be surprised if big events that need police get postponed. Rangers already put back until the Queen's coffin has flown south, for example
AVincelotFlyingLeap

I also went for the weekend, although TBH spend most of Saturday in Leeds which is my alma mater.

I also tried to take photos of Bootham but they're also too big - It's very hemmed in so you can't see much but you can see that finally that pitiful, rain-soaked excuse of an away end has been completely destroyed already.
McLeansvilleAppFan

ThatRoundThing wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:54 am We had bought advanced train tickets for York for £27.40 each return plus travel from Thurrock to Kings Cross on the day.
We decided to go anyway and visit the usual places in the City we had been to before, the Shambles and Shambles market etc.
Everywhere was packed, pubs were packed full most showing cricket and horse racing on TVs. Everywhere was LOUD with revellers, hen parties, birthday celebrations etc. but a great atmosphere throughout the city we found.
Although possibly drunken carnage to some I suspect would have occurred later into the night.
Made a mockery I felt of cancellation of football, more to do with over stretching Met Police for everything that is going on in London. Cancel one area, cancel the lot I think.
Anyway we met two regular Daggers fans that we knew on the train and a further 6 around various pubs.
Had a few beers and a chin wag in the afternoon with some before we set off to Drakes Fish and Chips, Petergate, York, which I can highly recommend, before heading off to the station for the 7.30pm journey home. (Delayed 20 minutes).
So I live in Greensboro, NC and I have a daughter that moved to Richmond for her master's degree and now work. 218 miles by car and the Amtrak train is a bit non-direct along the way. So not sure of the exact railline mileage but 240-250 mils I am guessing.

Train is scheduled for 5 hours and 20 minutes, and I have taken the train round trip twice and it has been at least 90 minutes late on both northbound and both southbound trips. My wife did the southbound by herself when our daughter was moving in and was 2 hours late back to our home station.

And $40 a seat in coach, though we had some coupons for Business Class free upgrades and that would have been another $40 a ticket one way so $160 round trip for Business Class or $80 round trip for coach class for a comparable distance it seems.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
ThatRoundThing

And $40 a seat in coach, though we had some coupons for Business Class free upgrades and that would have been another $40 a ticket one way so $160 round trip for Business Class or $80 round trip for coach class for a comparable distance it seems.

That seems quite expensive train travel although our rail travel has savings to be made for advance booking roughly 12 to 13 weeks in advance.
Annual Rail Discount Cards are available to purchase offering about 1/3 off the price. These cards are for 16-17, 16-25, 26-30, Disabled,Veterans,Over 60’s, 2 travelling together and Family & Friends.
The train companies cause further confusion by having different fares depending on day and time of travel.
Thankfully Train Apps make comparisons fairly easy. Checking just now my same journey for today,with discount, would be £66.00 or £68.20 for a return journey.
McLeansvilleAppFan

Amtrak does offer some deals but most deals are for more local traffic as Amtrak does work closely with state governments. So I can get a multi-ride from Greensboro to one daughter in Raleigh, NC and save some money and I am a member of a Rail Passenger Association so that affords a small discount.

We do have nice controlled access highways in this country, but I do love a nice, on-time train ride. Even the ride to Raleigh and back is often late, sometimes an hour late for a 90 min ride.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.