Centre Backs

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TheLion

I said on this forum months ago that until we had a commanding centre half who would win most headers in our half and be very useful up the other end as well, then we would struggle as we did last year at set pieces.

The first two games have done nothing to sway me from that view.

If we can get such a player, then I would play Doe at right back. I know he was useless in that position when he first came to us, but he is a much more mature player now and must be much better than what we have been playing in that position so far.

Until we get a very tight defence, (and I have not even mentioned the goalkeeper here), then we will struggle against whoever we play, regardless of how many we score ourselves.
Diggerthedog

Does at right back? no thanks. I think they are good enough but get no help from the full backs or midfield and are over run at times. I'm all for this passing game but if you want to play this way then out of possesion you need to put pressure on the ball something we do not do and it becomes too easy for the opposition.
bearaab

Play our best centre back at right back?
ARNU

Until we sort this problem we'll be getting a whole lot more of the same.We need 2 big lumps at the back and furthermore they need to know what they are doing.Can we blame any 1 individual ? Don't think so but Doe had another shaky old game and saah didn't look like he knows what to do with the ball when its rolled out to him.Too many pass backs to the keeper and many of those put us under great pressure.Morcambe would have beat Brentford last night as they had a pretty sound defence.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Pondfield Dagger

spot on Lion.. Brentford's player wearing no.6 last night is a classic example of this- centre back built like a brick shithouse who can also score..

Someone told me he first played for us, bugger!!!
leewilson

Doe and Saah are hardly tiny. We just don't have enough brawn in other areas of the pitch which sees us struggle when we have to defend set pieces as a collective.

Whilst we're at it:

Roberts

Foster, Leberl, Arber/Uddin, Griffiths

Saunders, Southam, Rainford, Sloma

Benson - Mackail Smith

Find me the big lumps there. It's about the way you attack the ball. That team there is not much, if at all, taller than the current one, yet you can guarantee the likes of Arber, Uddin and Rainford would have been first to an aerial challenge.
SUSSEX DAGGER

ARNU wrote:Until we sort this problem we'll be getting a whole lot more of the same.We need 2 big lumps at the back and furthermore they need to know what they are doing.Can we blame any 1 individual ? Don't think so but Doe had another shaky old game and saah didn't look like he knows what to do with the ball when its rolled out to him.Too many pass backs to the keeper and many of those put us under great pressure.Morcambe would have beat Brentford last night as they had a pretty sound defence.

I have a fantastic idea, its starts with probably the best right back in the League playing errrr right back.

With all our options in Midfield this makes sense, then when you done this blindly obvious thing forget about anymore wide men and forwards (looks like we have enough of them ) and go and find a commanding Centre half. The three we have at the moment are ok as individuals but as a unit absolute woeful.

Just a thought.
matt_drfc

Doe at right back? Na you're alright. With corners etc.. Like Lee said it's not just to do with height, it's about wanting the ball and attacking it, that will come I hope! Labadie has some height anyway and I noticed at our goal kicks we put Porter, Ogogo, Chambers, Labadie, Hemmings in a 5 man line with their defence, that's obviously been done in training, worked fairly well as we certainly won more in the air last night than Saturday. Thought Partridge looked comfortable, should get the nod on Saturday.
nomis

Re: Centre Backs
by bearaab » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:42 am
Play our best centre back at right back?
bearaab

Sorry mate but you must be on another planet
Doe was pathetic last night
Was at fault for the first goal and couldn't pass the ball and gave away a 10 yard pass that led to the corner and also at fault for third goal

The problem lies with the Manager !!!
If you keep making mistakes time after time and you don't get dropped then you know as a player that it do t matter how many mistakes you make you ain't t gonna get dropped

If Wayne Burnett has any balls he should drop Scott Doe and come to think of it the keeper as well

It's all to easy to keep your place in this team of ours and not be punished for your errors

In any other job if you kept making the same basic errors then do you think you'd stillbe working for the same employer
matt_drfc

It's been 2 games this season ffs! He was fantastic last season, can't drop someone when he's done more good than bad.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

We were talking about this on the train home yesterday. I don't think there's anything wrong with our 2 centre halves, they're both fantastic on their day and Doe in particular has just had a poor couple of games. I actually thought Saah was OK yesterday. So the solution we came up was, play the midfield a lot deeper to protect the centre halves when they go on their runs/inevitably get caught out of position. So either play 4-1-4-1 with Abu just in front of them or 4-2-3-1 with Abu and Labadie/Bouchard just in front of them, basically covering them in case they do anything wrong (which is often). The midfield last night all basically played in the same position (I think this season we've missed D'Ath a lot actually, at least he got up and down the pitch a bit), reckon we should stick 2 of them very deep and let the 4 forward players (presumably Hemmings, Chambers, Porter and Cureton until Rhys comes back) to do their own thing as some combination of them scored most of our 6 (6. In one game) goals last night. Only downside is it means we can't fit players like Howell and Bingham in, sure we can find a place for them somewhere
matt_drfc

Said it for ages 4-2-3-1 is our best formation now.. I'd go with this Saturday:

.............Cousins
Partridge, Doe, Saah, Connors
.......Ogogo, Labadie
Porter, Chambers, Hemmings
...........Cureton
Diggerthedog

matt_drfc wrote:Said it for ages 4-2-3-1 is our best formation now.. I'd go with this Saturday:

.............Cousins
.......Ogogo, Labadie
...........Cureton
Labadie should be no where near our team, he offers nothing*. Luke howell has more effect and offers a goal threat.

*My opinion.
matt_drfc

Diggerthedog wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:Said it for ages 4-2-3-1 is our best formation now.. I'd go with this Saturday:

.............Cousins
.......Ogogo, Labadie
...........Cureton
Labadie should be no where near our team, he offers nothing*. Luke howell has more effect and offers a goal threat.

*My opinion.
That's fair enough, he wasn't quite 100% last night but he's a big guy could be good in the 'holding' 2.. I doubt he will start tbh, assume it will be Boucaud or Howell with Ogogo but Hopefully Labadie can get some minutes.
Diggerthedog

matt_drfc wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:

.............Cousins
.......Ogogo, Labadie
...........Cureton

*My opinion.
That's fair enough, he wasn't quite 100% last night but he's a big guy could be good in the 'holding' 2.. I doubt he will start tbh, assume it will be Boucaud or Howell with Ogogo but Hopefully Labadie can get some minutes.
For sure hope he proves me wrong, perhaps it was nerves or something last night.