Oh my days how bad was that

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

Total compitulation second half we went from good to very very poor . Never got a kick second half , once again our defending was absolute abysmal.

Great finish by the master which proves the adage you never lose it,sadly the rest of his Colleagues have never had it the only one of our defensive players to emerge with any credit Matt Patridge, the rest were totally dreadfull.

Forget anymore wide men or forwards we need a left back now ( Connors has gone at the game) and a Centre half . Above all else we need a leader and we have not got one.
TheLion

What a surprise.
leewilson

Completely disagree with Sussex today.

I thought first half we put in an excellent away performance. Chambers and Hemmings were penetrating forward and Cureton's runs and link play was fantastic. We defended anything thrown at us with ease and they didn't test O'Brien at all.

Second half we fell too deep and only mustered 1 real attempt on goal which was a low curling effort from Ogogo that just went wide. Despite us dropping deep, I thought we showed a lot of fight. We stood up strong and limited them to largely half chances. Their one real chance saw their striker get through but O'Brien made a good 1v1 stop to his credit.

Then the referee changed the game and gave a penalty which I am convinced was never a penalty in a million years. I hope the replays show that the defender completely got the ball because that's what my eyes saw. Once they scored, we seemed to deflate and unfortunately the 2nd goal was very poor defending as we let their player turn effortlessly in the box and have a free strike on goal.

Aside from that one moment, we did well today and it's a sickener that we've lost. Connors had a tough 2nd half against Akins who is a very big and powerful winger/forward. I think at that point, we needed to drop the winger in as they started to double up on Connors when they recognised a potential weakness.

Just horrible to lose but no way did we play bad. 1st half excellent. 2nd half full of fight but a very bad decision turned the tide and sad to say that we didn't have the mental toughness to dig a draw out. Things to work on but certainly not a disaster from a long term point of view.
Dagdale

Very true, first half we really run the show and they hardly got anywhere near making a break to equal our leading goal but yet again the demon half time comes and we shackle out a different side second half and sometimes we are dead lucky and can hold firm with our backs literally against the wall and grasp the three points but a vital win was blown away simply because we couldn't capitalize from our pretty good display earlier and just let Burton Albion run total play later stages and pretty sure we could all see at least a draw coming, to then grab a second and a winner all in 6 minutes left of the game is just a right effing pain to bare and a shitty way to do business yet again in the Midlands, Kee's killer instinct done us again! Btw on the brewers forum tonight most posts even admit that was no way a penalty and the ref's contribution to the game was dreadful! Only glimmer of hope like mentioned previous beginning to notice Partridge's decent impact yet again, can he play centre back? Think he looks solid as a rock and just hope he keeps up the good work. ****** knows about Hartlepool? They're struggling too, making the effort, but were all turning to each other now wondering where's the first win coming from! That's 11 conceded in three, OMG!
SUSSEX DAGGER

leewilson wrote:Completely disagree with Sussex today.

I thought first half we put in an excellent away performance. Chambers and Hemmings were penetrating forward and Cureton's runs and link play was fantastic. We defended anything thrown at us with ease and they didn't test O'Brien at all.

Second half we fell too deep and only mustered 1 real attempt on goal which was a low curling effort from Ogogo that just went wide. Despite us dropping deep, I thought we showed a lot of fight. We stood up strong and limited them to largely half chances. Their one real chance saw their striker get through but O'Brien made a good 1v1 stop to his credit.

Then the referee changed the game and gave a penalty which I am convinced was never a penalty in a million years. I hope the replays show that the defender completely got the ball because that's what my eyes saw. Once they scored, we seemed to deflate and unfortunately the 2nd goal was very poor defending as we let their player turn effortlessly in the box and have a free strike on goal.

Aside from that one moment, we did well today and it's a sickener that we've lost. Connors had a tough 2nd half against Akins who is a very big and powerful winger/forward. I think at that point, we needed to drop the winger in as they started to double up on Connors when they recognised a potential weakness.

Just horrible to lose but no way did we play bad. 1st half excellent. 2nd half full of fight but a very bad decision turned the tide and sad to say that we didn't have the mental toughness to dig a draw out. Things to work on but certainly not a disaster from a long term point of view.
Well you disagree with me Lee and it is all about opinions however we only appear to differ about our second half display. As I said we looked good first half never gave them a sniff but our second half performance was at times embarrassing to watch. Yes we stood up to the onslaught, some more by luck then judgement, but we constantly gave the ball awayand could not get it out and were pushed further and further back. We were completely over ran Second half and Burton Albion to me showed why they have missed out on automatic promotion for the past two years, they simply don't score enough goals.

The decision to withdraw Cureton may leave a few scratching their heads but he had done his job and had become so isolated it is not one I will argue with. Perhaps Doidge will be ideal tactical sub in a similar situation as a big strong Centre Forward who could hold the ball up may have made a hell of a difference but that said you have to be able to hit him.

So at the moment being a Dagger looks a question of is your glass half empty or half full. Sorry I know how I see it.
Auntie Merge

I wasn't at the game but looked at some of the stats.

We made a double substitution in the 72nd minute and 12 minutes later they got the penalty.

Were the substitutions the right choice?

How was O'Brien?
Adrian

Howell scissored their players leg - it was a foul. It was yet another case of us not being able to deal with a ball into the box as well.
Dagdale

I'd say Gary Rowett easily got the better of the two, he's two substitutions really gave us big problems and were spot on, also that Akins guy on the right wing flank was causing Jack and the rest mayhem, with WB's well can't make out why Howells wasn't bought off, he, I think looked like he'd taken a knock and had certainly had a dropped down performance after the oranges. Couldn't understand Jamie coming off, especially as the hope of us scoring one more would have been the icing on the cake at that time, although Hemmings was doing well. If I could take heart with our boys that we can really play some good football in periods especially like first half cameos but cannot for some reason attain it for 90 plus minutes. We just need one good win to bring out the confidence and as long as we can now deal with the awful home form once and for all and the added conclusion of a Murphy, Hines and who knows young Doidge who could send out a good display we could be quite easily be on our way up. Many Brewers fans thought we showed them a lesson for a good part of the match and well, generally I'd say they would have settled a game like that to a draw.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Adrian wrote:
Howell scissored their players leg - it was a foul. It was yet another case of us not being able to deal with a ball into the box as well.
with you Adrian said at the time it looked a cert to me and watching replay only confirms it.

Notice the Manager made comments after about some of the goals we have let in and seem to blame the Goalkeeper for the first last week against Morecambe.

No mention of his Captain turning away on the end of the wall and also no mention yesterday going to ground on their second yesterday making Bily Key job so much easier.
Richie

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Adrian wrote:
with you Adrian said at the time it looked a cert to me and watching replay only confirms it.

Notice the Manager made comments after about some of the goals we have let in and seem to blame the Goalkeeper for the first last week against Morecambe.

No mention of his Captain turning away on the end of the wall and also no mention yesterday going to ground on their second yesterday making Bily Key job so much easier.
Labadie made his job easy enough judging by the highlights. Gave him acres to turn and shoot
Lcbdagger

Adrian wrote:
Spot on... Highlights dI'd nothing to change my mind on this one despite our protestations and Wayne's comments
E17 Dagger

Looks like Adrian and Sussex missed their annual check up at the opticians over the summer!
NickMurphy

Was convinced at the time that it wasn't a penalty, although looking at the highlights it appears more dubious.

Then again, I'm not really sure what we expected after sitting back for the whole of the second half. As mentioned, one foray forward meant we were asking for it. If I remember rightly we did similar last year at the Pirelli, albeit with Connors sent off, and paid the price late on - and it's almost a carbon copy a year later. To sit back like that after we played fairly well in the first half seems criminal. I didn't expect us to go bombing forward at every opportunity by any means, but a little bit of positivity wouldn't have gone a miss. Sit back like that against a side like Burton and we were asking for it, especially when Aikins was having Connors for dinner all afternoon.

Although the thing that really grinds me is that once again, it's Billy Kee that's done the damage. I count that in the last three years we've gone to Burton, he's scored every time, and every time he's allowed to find space and do it again. It's ridiculous, and the thing that wound me up the most yesterday.
Adrian

E17 Dagger wrote:Looks like Adrian and Sussex missed their annual check up at the opticians over the summer!
On what basis? Howell scissors the leg and thats a foul all day.
Lcbdagger

Another game sadly when a penalty decision skews the comments and makes it seem like we were just unlucky or had a bad decision go against us... the winnig goal is an absolute shambles... no League Two team ( or lower really) should allow a striker to take a ball in the penalty area, turn and then get a shot away without even the slightest hint of a challenge. Terrible stuff