Standard of officiating in this game!

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
RM1Dagger

Just when you think you've seen it all. First of all obviously NOT offside for Walker goal and then the most blatant pen you'll ever see at any level not given. Absolute joke.
Now the SE27 Dagger
McLeansvilleAppFan

Maybe it is just my middle-aged eyes but was the referee a teenager?
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
RM1Dagger

Haha, yes, I'm 52 and in the same vein of thinking all police officers look about 15, the same goes for some referees..
Now the SE27 Dagger
ThatRoundThing

I only watched it on TV and had the advantage of replays. I think I saw that the Offside was marginally correct but the pen shout was the faintest off contact and should have been given.
My judgment could have been clouded by 5 pints in my Social Club so I won’t disagree with other opinions.
RM1Dagger

I watched on TV too. None of the pundits could see why it was given offside and I agree (no drink taken either!)
Now the SE27 Dagger
McLeansvilleAppFan

RM1Dagger wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:28 pm Haha, yes, I'm 52 and in the same vein of thinking all police officers look about 15, the same goes for some referees..
My wife is 52 and I am 53. I am constantly going on about being a child of the 60's (born Sept '69 and she was born May '70) and her being from a different decade and she would never see things the way I do. :grin:

I teach high school/secondary school and am around 14-18 year old students a good bit. That referee could easily be a physics students of mine this coming semester about ready to graduate and head off to college/university.

At best the legal drinking age in US is 21. I might have been able to buy him a pint post match in England but no way I could have done so in the US.
RM1Dagger

Haha, other way round here, me '70, her '69. I occasionally make 'before my time' references if she refers to something from days gone by😀
Now the SE27 Dagger
Diggerthedog

Less said about the officials the better, luckily for them we still managed to win the game and it wasn’t decided on their errors.

Great performance with drive and pressure on the ball, sure we could have scored a few more but the most important thing is the 3 points. If only Weston was a few years younger! Great defending at the end to secure the game.

Huge game on Saturday.
len

Agree it was a good performance, in a game that we should have won more easily, on a pitch that gives an unfair advantage to the home team and also will never understand how the referee did not see that as a penalty. With regard to Miles Weston, if he was a few years younger he would probably be plying his trade in league 1.
Kevin

Was pleased to see the team keep going all the way to the very end.

A lot of our chances ended up being on target, only to find either the Maidstone keeper or defenders blocking the way..and that's on top of the two very iffy calls from the officials.

It wouldn't have flattered us to have banged in 4 or 5 - for the boys not to let their heads drop with it still being 0-0 late in the game showed good character imo.
DaggerJoel11

After spurning countless opportunities to push forward into the play-offs throughout the past, we must have all been thinking this was another after two appalling decisions coupled with plenty of missed chances, but we refused to accept it wasn't our day and conjured up a moment of brilliance.

That's what Weston gives you. Most assists in the whole division last season, six for us this campaign - he is absolutely crucial for us and no matter how the opposition tries to contain him, he will always have a dangerous run or top delivery in him. It was the latter here, Walker connecting beautifully, which he deserved after having the earlier goal chalked off.

Thankfully that decision plus the penalty proved immaterial as we got over the line, and how pleasing it was to see bodies thrown at the ball late on.

The bottom line is it's only two 1-0s over a Maidstone side that will go down, and bigger, more credential-defining tests lie ahead like Saturday, but we're Goal Difference off the playoffs with up to three games in hand on some competitions.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
NBDag

3 points are 3 points at the end of the day, and it’s refreshing to see us so close to the playoffs for once and back to back clean sheets! Feels like a lifetime since that last happened… A cracking goal from us and a shame that if it wasn’t for the poor officials, Walker may very well have had a hattrick.

Only downside for me is that Taylor just doesn’t seem up to it. His crossing was appalling. George was good when he came on, but I’m not sold on him as a defender. I’d really like to see us bring in a better wing back soon. Then with Manny & Phipps back, could we finally see this team playing to its full potential?
McLeansvilleAppFan

RM1Dagger wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:52 am Haha, other way round here, me '70, her '69. I occasionally make 'before my time' references if she refers to something from days gone by😀
Love it!