Statement from Peter B Freund

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
len

It is good to read his statement outlining his commitment to the Daggers albeit on a lower budget for next season. Clubs with lower budgets than ours have performed better than us over the last couple of seasons, so hopefully things can still can be turned around. A busy time for Ben over the next couple of months to get the right players in to improve our league position next season.
SUSSEX DAGGER

len wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:18 pm It is good to read his statement outlining his commitment to the Daggers albeit on a lower budget for next season. Clubs with lower budgets than ours have performed better than us over the last couple of seasons, so hopefully things can still can be turned around. A busy time for Ben over the next couple of months to get the right players in to improve our league position next season.
Did I miss something because I can't see anything in his statement that says anything about the budget other than the type of player he wants to see.

That type of player was what this Club was renowned for and will be welcomed by many.

Start August afresh and altho was reluctant to commit for next season and was going to pick and chose games with Strevs taking this Club back to its roots is something I am prepared to buy into.

Personally i think It will take a lot of luck to get us anywhere near the target of getting back into EFL and think as fans we have to accept that being the best we can be is the only realistic target. With the turnover of players expected to be high this summer perhaps it would help if unrealistic targets were not banded about and next season is promoted as one of consolidation with anything better a bonus.
Dagman

Agree that we should be more realistic in our outlook but I am always optimistic. I did not see it coming when we won the Conference as we were not exactly setting the league on fire in the seasons before that.

We can only expect to be the best we can as our attendances are not high so the core income means that the budget for players is low. However there are lots of players just in Essex that have the basic talent but have not been spotted yet or have been let go by other clubs because they just did not fit that managers ideas.

I have been watching the Daggers since the late 60's and always liked the way we brought in unknown talent to nurture but expecting to lose them when they showed any ability. Hope we revert to our old ways.

As the Mandolorian says "this is the way".
jag

I am prepared to try the old approach that Peter has mentioned as we lacked some of the grit our supporters demanded at times, however I will give it 1 more season because we should remember that this league has changed for the better over the last few years, the quality of football has improved and is a much more competitive league, to keep pace we will need to show grit but also raise the quality of the players and coaching staff if we are to achieve reaching the playoffs. COYD.
len

Sussex, I made the assumption about lower playing budgets based on the fact that Peter Freund said that "they had invested a great deal into the club and that playing budgets were almost impossible to keep up and a new approach was needed". In addition to this high wage players such McCallum, Walker and Junior have gone and it seems possible that Robbo was offered less money. I made be wrong but that's how I read the situation, however, I am more pleased that Peter Freund still seems committed to the club.
Diggerthedog

Freund got fed up with McMahon repeatedly begging for more cash, backed up by Thompson’s deluded loyalty and now they want to scale back a bit. Nice one Thommo. The most important clear out required for this club to move forward won’t happen.

Still not renewed, let’s see some signings first.
NBDag

All I’m taking away from this is that the club is not going to go anywhere new next season. Thommo still has the owners blind backing so the commercial side of the club will remain non-existent, the management of the club will continue to be reactive and the accountability for results will just not be there.

It’s good seeing the owners having the enthusiasm that they have. But it isn’t going to amount to anything if they continue to have someone making poor decisions on their behalf.
stanton101

What a load of bollocks.
So they can't afford Robbo and probably Justham but they could afford to pay an incompetent arse of a manager practically all season who squandered a budget on rubbish. Not only that they offered Balanta a contract when he's single handedly kept Bupa in employment.
Then when the penny finally dropped they cut the playing staff and have praised Thompson for his efforts in the process!
If you really want to be promoted or reach the playoffs then get someone over here to see what's really happened to your money. It's all very well giving it large from across the pond, but they're clueless when it comes to football.
Good luck Ben, you'll need it.
As far as season tickets go, not for me I'm afraid.