Playoffs

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Lcbdagger

Two games in... Four terribly average teams that have made me shake my head, even more at our inability to reach the top 7 this year
len

I thought Woking looked a very good side when they beat us comfortably at Victoria Road not that long ago but looked a shadow of that team last night.
Diggerthedog

Just goes to show how important it is to be in some sort of form going into the play offs despite having better seasons the home sides have gone out. Wood don’t have the fire power to beat Notts for me and for some reason I fancy Bromley to beat Chesterfield.
NBDag

Just shows that this season was easily the hardest season to win the league. But the quality of the top two did not carry elsewhere and we will struggle to find an easier year to reach the play offs. If we had our team of the 2016/17 season we would all have pre-booked Wembley in March.

Players, McMahon and the club management should be embarrassed at what they have done this year.
Dagdale

Keeping an eye out on these and participating clubs forums on the two Quarter Finals so far and more than just a couple of posts the unexpected could happen a Borehamwood/ Bromley final as they certainly look a determined pair, although love to get Notts County away from this league and any team that gets 107 points from 46 games thoroughly deserves it, but wasn't it Grimsby last year who finished 7th and had all the games away? (Bromley?)
Lcbdagger

Aware each match up is only one game, but Barnet were incredibly poor for a side who rested their first XI against us a week ago.

My only hope for us missing the playoffs is Notts County win their next two games comfortably and the top two go up, as expected.
A S dagger97

Lcbdagger wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:33 am Aware each match up is only one game, but Barnet were incredibly poor for a side who rested their first XI against us a week ago.

My only hope for us missing the playoffs is Notts County win their next two games comfortably and the top two go up, as expected.
As much as I dont care about notts, they do deserve to go up and it would benefit teams like us to have a better shot at top 7 for sure.

Considering only 1 team goes up automatically, this 1 leg format can be very harsh on the team who comes second who could be in county's position of being miles above the other 5 teams involved and still not go up by losing on a single poor ref desicion. But I would like to think the home advantage should give them enough in their semifinal anyway. Cant be having Borehamwood getting into the EFL :thumbd:
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
len

Agree that Notts County deserve to go up and are a big team at this level but if they don't, then it would be best for us if it was Chesterfield as the next so called big team, then at least get rid of one of them. Football however, does not always work out as it should.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

This format is stupid isn’t it. It’s ridiculous that Dartford can get 95+ points and finish second then lose one game on penalties and not get promoted. I hope it’s changed soon, it would work fine in a league where more than one got promoted automatically. It feels a bit overly dramatic
NBDag

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:21 pm This format is stupid isn’t it. It’s ridiculous that Dartford can get 95+ points and finish second then lose one game on penalties and not get promoted. I hope it’s changed soon, it would work fine in a league where more than one got promoted automatically. It feels a bit overly dramatic
This is crazy but also with the drop down to regional leagues, only two can go up and playoffs are always the most entertaining way to deciding second. Dartford can feel dismayed but ultimately it’s their own fault, no different if county lost today/at Wembley
Auntie Merge

It is 6 years today since we lost at Forest Green away in the playoffs.

How different life could have been…

Anyway, I’m pleased with the results today. Would like to see Notts County go up.

I sadly have to agree with all the comments in this thread about a disappointing season. We really need to start growing again as a club instead of shrinking.

The only place I have seen any change is in the number of advertising boards around the ground - there are far more than there have been for many years. James in the commercial team is clearly doing a good job.

But the club has lost direction. We are like a rudderless ship and that must change.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

NBDag wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:53 pm
AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:21 pm This format is stupid isn’t it. It’s ridiculous that Dartford can get 95+ points and finish second then lose one game on penalties and not get promoted. I hope it’s changed soon, it would work fine in a league where more than one got promoted automatically. It feels a bit overly dramatic
This is crazy but also with the drop down to regional leagues, only two can go up and playoffs are always the most entertaining way to deciding second. Dartford can feel dismayed but ultimately it’s their own fault, no different if county lost today/at Wembley
Yeah I get it but I still think it’s harsh. Tbh I don’t like the one legged games to decide such important outcomes to a season. I think it’s worth looking at
Diggerthedog

Either one of those two to go up is a good result, whoever loses the final will be installed as favourites for the title. Think Oldham will have a good season, had a very strong second half and now have the backing to do much better. I think anywhere this seasons position would be a positive with such a massive squad overhaul, we have to replace the strikers and the whole of the midfield.
len

With regard to your point about midfielders and forwards diggerthedog,
we have Effiong already on contract who scored lots of goals last season,I would also like to keep Sagaf, who I think is a very good player, Ibie up front could also be an asset and then add to these.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Great to see Jodi score the winner too. Hard not to be emotional watching that after everything he’s had to suffer