NL: Altrincham (A) 5 Aug 2023

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

Start of the season. Altrincham finished 17th last season. This season they are sitting in 2nd while the Daggers are in 7th. That is based on alphabetical order since none of the clubs have any fixtures complete. My suggestion is to not base anything on the current standings.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
A S dagger97

For anyone going to the game, are people going to or know of any bars there for pre match? i most likely won't have any drink as Im driving there but wondering about somewhere to stay pre/post match
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
Dagdale

Parking fairly okay obviously the earlier the better. Alty's Moss lane ground is quite central to their town centre a roughly ten minute walk away and along with that market there certainly worth a look around and five minutes the other way a very decent pub with food the King George Hale where if were lucky sitting outside sends out a great start off point. Also last visit in April I stumbled on a really good big bar within the ground, decent food access where Alty fans I found most welcoming, shouldn't imagine any segregation so all in all not at all a bad place to kick start our season but let's improve our record there for once please..
A S dagger97

I'm confident the boys will give us a brilliant kick start to the season. Made some exciting signings and some of the very few good performers of last season sticking around. Alty is the closest ground for me to visit this season as im living in Cheshire but still a 1hr Drive. Really hoping it's a good day for us COYD!!
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

McLeansvilleAppFan

Well it is match day now here for me a bit past midnight. Early morning in Dagenham. Let’s get this season off to a great start. COYD!
Daggerfan

I’m disappointed with the fact that there is no way to follow this game it’s not on National League TV, it’s not on the BBC, and it’s not on Mixlr. :banghead:
McLeansvilleAppFan

Daggerfan wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:25 pm I’m disappointed with the fact that there is no way to follow this game it’s not on National League TV, it’s not on the BBC, and it’s not on Mixlr. :banghead:
I found this
https://www.radioalty.co.uk/listen.html
McLeansvilleAppFan

Did Phipps score and then in celebration receive a yellow card? Tied it all up at 1-1 at the 98 min mark.
DaggerJoel11

What a moment that was. You could just see Phipps' header was angling beyond the fingertips of the keeper as soon as it graced his head. Think that will be looked back on as a very good point.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
rebeldagger

A few perplexing results today, so yes this will be seen as a point gained. Will be looking forward to the highlights, for those at the game can any say was the goal we conceded done so in poor form?
Dagdale

If with all honesty we should have quite easily been 2-0 down before they scored but the boys showed fantastic true grit and actually not sure who it was but almost won it last minute or so, don't think I've ever done a game still playing at ten past 5? and trying to think where all the added time came from but all in all about the right result. Great support considering how awful weather wedged on that open terrace but a day though that goes down with one bang of a hit on navigating over delayed and cancelled trains, even standing in entrance & exit bays for hours as 2 train loads of passengers put onto one and just try getting to drink/food cars, mayhem, modern day life experiences, but staff have to say spot on and really helpful.
A S dagger97

Looks like we gonna have to get used to all these later finishes with the refs in all divisions adding time for everything including throw ins and corners meaning most games are now playing over 100 minutes, Altrincham players being on the deck every 5 minutes might also have had something to do with all the additional minutes. Well cant gripe about that right now as it came in our favour yesterday giving us time to nick a point😀

NBDag

Can’t see this rule with the injury time continuing for much longer, as it is just so backwards. There is only one fool-proof way to crack down on time wasting and that is consistent bookings, even if it leads to a red card.

A good point all in all, however. Let’s hope we can step things up a notch ahead of next week
Kevin

A several thousand mile trip up north, with monsoon conditions on a pudding of a pitch would usually see us getting whacked 3 or 4 nil - I'll certainly take the 1-1..
SUSSEX DAGGER

As I Saw It Through The Rain.

Firstly i dont subsricbe to the view that we were anyway fortunate to get a point. Personally I thought we were well worthy of that point, the late hour it came may be considered fortunate but in my opinion we had done more then enough in the proceeding 106 mins to earn it and a draw to me was a very fair result.

Firstly thought we battled hard throughout and could be unlucky not to have been ahead ourselves before Alty scored. The reason we were not was due to two uprights ,a very good goalkeeper and something we did not address in the summer . More on that later.

The defence look solid throughout the only player who caused me any concearn was in fact the one who turned out the hero, Harry Phipps.
Thought Eastman was outstanding and Paige and Hare not far behind.

The only thing Eastman lacks is pace. What he lacks in pace however he certainly makes up in presence. Got his head on everything and the fable of restarts and set pieces never looked likely to occur . That in itself was very pleasing. Eastman was Very unlucky with the booking ,clearly
Won the ball .

Next on my hero list was Effiong who was always going to find it hard in the way we set up and was sometimes isolated.

He did brilliantly holding the ball up all afternoon he never hid and chased down everything. Really unlucky to crack the bar with his speculative punt. He also called on the Keeper to make a first class save from a header and his header back across the box from the Hare cross that saw Kendell just failing to conect at the back post in the last attack of the afternoon summed up his afternoon ,in that any luck was not with him.

Altho Alty looked the most likely in my opinion they were far from the better team throughout and in the end it was not our Goalkeeper was in no hurry to get the ball back on play after the Kendell near miss.

For the last 20 minutes ( including the added time)I thought we were far the better side and with more luck could have scored three or four in that period. Sid had one off the line two very good saves , granted we scored from the resulting corner on one of them and the inches from Kendell boot at the end meant we could have nicked it.

Now to the brutal truth and what we did not adress in the summer. The quality of the ball in from Miles Weston was extreamly poor all afternoon. Second half alone he had at least four opportinites to deliver from a wide postition and frankly each time the cross was boardering on pathetic. He has served us well and its rather sad to see him now just a fraction of the player he once was but the harsh reality is that on what i saw yesterday you can no longer fancy him as an impact sub and Ryan Hill hopefully will be able to return from injury soon if we are not going to give Sid a chance. He had one cross into the box yesterday when he replaced Weston and it was telling and again impressed me.

My other concearn has to be our squad depth . If we are going to play an extra 20 minutes a week then that is going to bring fatigue injuries and extra bookings and those injuries and suspension are going to cost us.

We can not also be blind to the fact that the commitment i witnessed yesterday is going to see us having to see out games with reduced numbers on the pitch and a few red cards are going to be an absolute cert.

Personally i used to resent the games were went down to defeat and afterwards see that we did not pick up a booking or two, its not going to hapoen in my opinion with this group of players who already look like they have fully taken onboard what this Club is all about and are all prepared to put their bodies on the line to acheive it. With that passion however comes the obvious consequencies when things are mistimed or passions boil over.

Talking of what this Club is all about, how refreshing it was to see the appreciation the players /Manager showed to the teavelling support both before and after yesterdays game. It was also really pleasing to see the boss take an active role in the pre game warm up.

I have no doubt after yesterday we have the Players( a couple more would be welcomed) and a Manager totally committed to the cause and altho i dont think we have the depth to manage a playoff challange , i dont think i will ever have cause to question the commitment which i have all to often had to do in recent sessons.