What are Ben's options here?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

What can Ben do to fix this ?
Ok he has some key players injured, which is reasonably a fair argument. Can he get loan players in right now ( budget permitting)
Can he sign anyone ?
Or are we stuck with this dross till the transfer window?

I know it's well documented what I think are his dud signings,
(Hess,Vincent,Kendall,Rees and Page)and there's obviously a couple of inherited players who are pretty awful. This is a relegation team we have here isn't it. Club, if it can needs to support Ben here if they care about our league future.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
RayleighDagger1986

I think it's too early to say these are dud signings and a relegation team in the waiting. Some teams do take a while to get going.
But what I saw of Saturday and last night is a worry, and we do need to add "quality" to the squad. We haven't really replaced Morias or Walker from last season, and to me, that is a priority along with a midfielder and defender.
Johnson last night was awful as one noticeable performance. He was not all that last season so why have we continued with him.
Pablo

Teams with wholesale changes do need time to gel and I am convinced that Ben is a good manager - indeed an upgrade on the last two -but he has inherited a mess with players on contracts he probably wouldn't have wanted to keep - certainly Mussa and probably Weston and Johnson too. My problem though is with the midfield where the acquisitions all seem to be the same - allegedly ball winners with little pace or flair. More obviously we have three rookies plus Effiong only upfront. I think we have to go into the lone market just to ensure we have a team to field for the next couple of games. By my reckoning we have only 12 senior players available for Saturday. Then we have to hope that cohesion follows and some of the injured return.
ryo198122

Who are the injured players somehow I've missed the news. I can't see us bringing in anybody else on loan I think our budget is done. Sold our goal scorers last season and not replaced them properly slashed the budget big time. Football league more like national league south. Something needs to be done
Diggerthedog

There is no transfer window in the national league so signing players now it’s not a problem. The major sticking point is budget, there is none left as per the manager but I would imagine if things get any worse the owners will have to act accordingly.

I think we have signed some good players we just needs to fit them in in the right shape, it’s hard to do that on a limited budget.

We need strikers at least 1 other decent one for when Effiong is not playing, to start the season with 1 senior pro striker was criminal. We could have signed Appiah but was too tight about it, have a side that picks itself is not good and that’s currently what we have.
Mark

I believe it is still a half decent budget for this level, although it seems we have to continue spending a chunk of it on Mussa and also Balanta rumoured payout.

I wonder if our club has taken advantage of these pretty unfair new NL contracts whereby we can reduce salaries after 12 weeks of inactivity. I hope not, but I suppose it could provide some financial respite for reinforcements if the current batch of crocks are longer term.

One thing Ben needs is time, something we afforded McMahon as he threw wads of cash around. I'm not massively keen on the recruitment so far but not every signing can be a hit and also they may improve as they gel. I do feel we have neglected physical attributes in our signings, the pace thru the team has all been offloaded in the last year and we are left with a team of one-paced plodders. Perhaps if we look at the loan market this could be resolved.

In an ideal world someone would finally take Mussa and we could bring in two, a quality striker and a more athletic centre mid or winger.
Danamite

How do people no what Mussa is on ? I see alot of people on here suggesting we could sign 2 players for the wages he's on. What gives any one the impression he's on alot of money ? Or do people no what he's getting some how.
EssexDagger!

Did anybody see Vilhete on Tuesday night? I saw him in the club shop with a friend of his checking out the new shirts..

Wonder if he we will bring him back on a short term deal?
NBDag

I can’t see why. Strevens didn’t want him so I wouldn’t expect him to go back on that. I think it’s more likely that we bring in loan players, especially as they’re likely to be cheaper.
SUSSEX DAGGER

RayleighDagger1986 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:29 pm I think it's too early to say these are dud signings and a relegation team in the waiting. Some teams do take a while to get going.
But what I saw of Saturday and last night is a worry, and we do need to add "quality" to the squad. We haven't really replaced Morias or Walker from last season, and to me, that is a priority along with a midfielder and defender.
Johnson last night was awful as one noticeable performance. He was not all that last season so why have we continued with him.

I agree far to early but we have this every year the old " You got to give them time to gel" by that time we are 20 points behind our target which i still thought was playoffs or to put it into perspective finish in the top third of the league.

As for Nick Haywood from Haircut 100 think we have to take a step back and count.
21 players signed
2 Goalkeepers
1 thrown out the squad
4 injuries ( six if Tueday night are added)
14 fit outfield players and People ask why is he selected.
With all respect just do the numbers
SUSSEX DAGGER

ryo198122 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:39 pm Who are the injured players somehow I've missed the news. I can't see us bringing in anybody else on loan I think our budget is done. Sold our goal scorers last season and not replaced them properly slashed the budget big time. Football league more like national league south. Something needs to be done
Hill
Paige
Long King
Hare
Travares is just back from long term injury and should not be pkaying 90 minutes like he did Tuesdau
After Tueday it dont look good for Eastman or Lawless in short term
Add in Musa and you are as somrbody said 12 fit o/f players and one of them Blair still cant get a look in let alone a start
NBDag

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:35 pm
ryo198122 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:39 pm Who are the injured players somehow I've missed the news. I can't see us bringing in anybody else on loan I think our budget is done. Sold our goal scorers last season and not replaced them properly slashed the budget big time. Football league more like national league south. Something needs to be done
Hill
Paige
Long King
Hare
Travares is just back from long term injury and should not be pkaying 90 minutes like he did Tuesdau
After Tueday it dont look good for Eastman or Lawless in short term
Add in Musa and you are as somrbody said 12 fit o/f players and one of them Blair still cant get a look in let alone a start
And to tie this back to the thread’s title, there is nothing Ben can do to fix this. Not unless the owners back him so he can bring more players in. But they are clueless so they won’t.
Diggerthedog

NBDag wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:24 am I can’t see why. Strevens didn’t want him so I wouldn’t expect him to go back on that. I think it’s more likely that we bring in loan players, especially as they’re likely to be cheaper.
Perhaps he did want him but didn’t want a pay cut like the deals offered to those that declined and now play elsewhere.