Not a great start

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

When is the last time the Daggers or even the clubs that merged into Dagenham and Redbridge started this badly? Did we start this badly in L1 or before being relegated back to the NL from L2?
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
Sagres

Abysmal start bottom of the league - Something needs to change fast!
RayleighDagger1986

How about moving up the league 😏
SUSSEX DAGGER

Cant see where the next posative result is coming from myself. Could not make it today but followed every post on twitter and they did not report a single shot on target.

Cant even think about getting out of this mess if we cant score goals. 42 games left and 43 points would probably see you relegated this year, so a point a game on average is not going to be enough and we are miles from that

Left Altrincham feeling confident that altho we would not pull up many trees we had enough about us to avoid a relegation fight. Granted we have had 5 big injuries but then that exposed another big failling that the squad is simply notdeep enough.

Half expected right up untill kick off today to see at least one if not a couple of loans announced as that is the way we have done it in the past but nothing.

At the moment there is no competition for places if your fit you play. We even had one who nobody wanted to see in a Daggers shirt again play a part today .

Since February its been a right mess both on and off the field
Dagdale

Worse start imaginable, having seen 4 out of 4 and with Barnet and Wealdstone next up before the months out be very surprised if it don't stay 1 point out of 18! Certainly things are being created but simply just no fire power to seal a goal, exactly as mentioned previous did the Magpie goalie make one real save? I'm not exactly sure there was an improvement from the last two also, as with two heavy defeats on your own backyard surely the incentive should have been there at normally low drive Maidenhead to move on up a good gear, slowly losing the faith and wondering are we the new Torquay of this league this season?
Daggerman

Let’s face it this bad start is not a surprise is it, the teams in this league that want to get promotion do the right thing and invest in their squad, if you cut the budget and cut the squad size there is only one way it’s going to end… relegation! At that point (if not before) the owners will realise that all of the previous investment has been flushed down the toilet. Just look at Luton for instance, 10/12 years ago we were in the same league, we were financially better off than they were apparently, but with investment and a vision for the future look where it got them.. the premier league, it might/ will be for just one year but the money being generated will keep them in the top two divisions for years to come, and here we are languishing at rock bottom and barring a miracle we are going to be dropping down the football pyramid without a hope.
ARNU

Everyone can see the new additions apart from the big defender are duds. Rees contributed nothing again yesterday, Kendall ,was he even on the pitch??, Hessenthaler tackled his own team mate and the ball went to Maidenhead, Vincent had his best game so far and was just crap. We have another fragile few on their sickbed and now it looks like Effiong is gonna be missing a while.
So what do we do ?
Rock bottom of the league 4 games in is better than later on in the season. Get some decent loans in with a view to replacing this sorry lot.
Even at the desperate end of the Burnett and Peter Taylor reigns it didn't feel this hopeless.
And Darryl just didn't get us in the playoffs, I still felt we were good enough.
This is 'orrible !!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

This is a whole new team on a much smaller budget, it’s going to take sometime to adapt to it all. People’s expectations are way above where they should be that includes the manager. If we’re in this position in another 5/6 games I would expect big investment unless the owners want a relegation on their CV.

I’m expecting a signing or two in the next week, no way we can go into Barnet if nobody returns from fitness from the current ones out.
HGDagger

Could see this coming tbh. We're gonna be in for a long hard season
ARNU

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:57 am This is a whole new team on a much smaller budget, it’s going to take sometime to adapt to it all. People’s expectations are way above where they should be that includes the manager. If we’re in this position in another 5/6 games I would expect big investment unless the owners want a relegation on their CV.

I’m expecting a signing or two in the next week, no way we can go into Barnet if nobody returns from fitness from the current ones out.
That's a fair comment about people's expectations. But the club has sold it to us as a "Strevolution" like things were going to be better. We bin ed Darryl for underachieving but at no time did we feel it was a hopeless case. We had the tools it seems McMahon just did t handle them properly. Right now it seems blindingly obvious we don't have the tools , Pep Guardiola would struggle with this lot.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
A S dagger97

Tbh there's a lot of parralels to the start of our final league 2 season when we bought in a bunch of new midfielders like Ferdinand and Matt Richards who ended up being useless and we never recovered from it,
Fortunately we can make signings throughout the season in the NL so if it does get desperate changes can be made but it is gonna have to turn around for us ASAP or we will find ourselves in deep s*** before the season is even in full swing
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
redboy

This comes as no surprise to anyone. This constant demise and so called under achievement over the last few seasons has 1 common denominator...The board. Nobody has a scooby about football, the owners must be using us as some sort of tax loss or just have $$$ to burn. DM had the budget but no idea how to use the players, now Strevs is consigned to a group who seem clearly punching above their weight. Barnet must be licking their lips next w/e.
Reg Varneys wife

The board is not one to panic. But if I were a board member I think it's time to PANIC after only 4 games.
I've never seen a team as bad as this at the start of a season, we haven't got a clue and seems the manager hasn't either.
McLeansvilleAppFan

redboy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:37 pm the owners must be using us as some sort of tax loss.
He is rich, as in, I think, billionaire rich. He has also picked up MANY more minor league baseball teams since he bought the Daggers. As far as tax offsets I am very curios how that is handled. I am not sure how that works with international losses and US tax, but I assume his gains and losses are payable to the British government. If the Daggers is all he has in GB then I am not sure how he can offset his losses. I am now on a mission to learn about this and will report back.

I think he might be somewhat distracted by his vast baseball holdings and thousands of miles a way is part of it as well.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
NBDag

redboy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:37 pm This comes as no surprise to anyone. This constant demise and so called under achievement over the last few seasons has 1 common denominator...The board. Nobody has a scooby about football, the owners must be using us as some sort of tax loss or just have $$$ to burn. DM had the budget but no idea how to use the players, now Strevs is consigned to a group who seem clearly punching above their weight. Barnet must be licking their lips next w/e.
This this this!

They are bloody useless. Yes they saved us, but tbh they have done sod all else for us since then. Constant poor decision after poor decision. They don’t have a clue what they’re doing and they have set Strevs up for failure from the moment he was signed. They seem like lovely people and I’m sure their heart is in the right place for the club, but they just cannot deliver despite all of their good intentions

In more important news however, it’s good to see that Inih is stable and apparently no underlying issues were detected. I hope this episode was from exacerbating an illness he has apparently had recently and he is now on the mend. However I think we need to rest him for at least a month now, and definitely should look to bring more numbers in for cover.