Artificial Pitches

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

Diggerthedog wrote:
bearaab wrote:If the players are happy to play on it then go for it. If they're not then don't. Don't see why people wouldn't want to attend due to the type of surface.

It slows the ball right down. Even managed to help Andorra snatch a draw against Wales, that pitch even made Bale look like he could not pass or control the ball.
Wales won 2-1. Bale scored a late free kick.
Mike the Dagger

Diggerthedog wrote:
It slows the ball right down. Even managed to help Andorra snatch a draw against Wales, that pitch even made Bale look like he could not pass or control the ball.
Won't effect the Daggers game at all then, ball hardly ever actually touches the ground.
matt_drfc

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:
Won't effect the Daggers game at all then, ball hardly ever actually touches the ground.
:?
Diggerthedog

leewilson wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:
bearaab wrote:If the players are happy to play on it then go for it. If they're not then don't. Don't see why people wouldn't want to attend due to the type of surface.

Wales won 2-1. Bale scored a late free kick.
I missed out the nearly bit :roll:
mickeyblue

How is it cost effective
no way we all train onit but it will still ware and tear.
plus its crap to play on.
You cannot slide tackle unless you like to be sore for 2days after

non league wont doit either and its utter nonsense to change football this drastic

if it was any good all the prem teams would have it now.

Just pffft imo no idea how any football person would think this a good idea
but we finished 9th!
steeevooo

mickeyblue wrote:no idea how any football person would think this a good idea
Tim Flowers might have approved of it ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN2F6WQk8zk
Richie

The pitches these days are nowhere near as bad as they were, if they can be used in Rugby they can certainly be used in football in terms of grazed skin etc.

However I'm still in favour of grass, as Ian says. The Football League has a prestige about it, a prestige that should mean grass
Daggyjack

Forfar Athletic have had a 3G pitch installed at a cost of £370k, of which Forfar only paid around £20k, due to funding received from the "Cashback from Criminals" scheme.

It goes far beyond not having matches called off as matches can still be called off due to the terraces and surrounding areas to the ground being deemed unsafe, although this hasn't happened often.

Forfar's benefit, which could be the same of Dagenham's, is the 7 days a week use of the facilities. Given the poor attendances at present, it definitely is an option worth considering as a revenue stream and although artificial pitches are not my preferred option, I think that for Forfar, it has proved very successful. The same could happen for Dagenham.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... h-1.141776
IanC

This is pissin me off now,football is played on grass not a poxy rug.
IanC

Hiring out a pitch to locals who already show no interest in the club is pointless.For what we would make out of it aint gonna make our team any better.It will be what it always has been,your bennos,greenie,frenchie,cms,gaylie.Cup runs of wich we havent had for a while,thats how daggers do it.Thats where we get the bucks,no amount of people on a rug all week will help the team.Floodlight costs in winter etc,it aint gonna happen.
bearaab

So it works for For far but suddenly Dagenham try it and it operates at a loss? Think you'd need to be an accountant with access to some figures to make them assumptions rather than just wildly speculate because you don't like the idea.
Daggyjack

IanC wrote:Hiring out a pitch to locals who already show no interest in the club is pointless.For what we would make out of it aint gonna make our team any better.It will be what it always has been,your bennos,greenie,frenchie,cms,gaylie.Cup runs of wich we havent had for a while,thats how daggers do it.Thats where we get the bucks,no amount of people on a rug all week will help the team.Floodlight costs in winter etc,it aint gonna happen.
Sorry Ian C, absolute nonsense.

Forfar, a Scottish League 1 club have found huge benefits from 3G, for the club and community. Who's to say that youngsters playing regularly on a smooth surface...sorry rug...as much as they can will not help then become the next CMS, Benno, Greeny.

You really need to look at the bigger picture of whether 3G suits Dagenham & Redbridge, rather than yourself, even if you don't like it.
Adrian

From what I can see here, it is wrong to jump to the conclusion that it might not be as good financially as some suggest, but fine to jump to the conclusion that it would be good financially.
Strange.

There would be some be benefits, but also a lot of costs that some don't seem to want to consider.
I'm not sure there is really much benefit from hiring the pitch out, there would be limited demand is have thought.
Daggyjack

Adrian wrote:From what I can see here, it is wrong to jump to the conclusion that it might not be as good financially as some suggest, but fine to jump to the conclusion that it would be good financially.
Strange.

There would be some be benefits, but also a lot of costs that some don't seem to want to consider.
I'm not sure there is really much benefit from hiring the pitch out, there would be limited demand is have thought.
No conclusion being jumped at to say that it is financially a good idea but actual factual evidence that it works for other clubs, which means that the idea should at least be given consideration instead of just writing it off.

Costs? As I said, it cost Forfar £25k I think with the rest coming from grants so really a no-brainer for them.

As for limited demand for pitch hire, well I would have though that Dagenham would have had more demand for it's use than Forfar.
If you're telling me there would be little demand, then maybe Forfar are a bigger club?
Adrian

I can o ly assume you haven't read the rest of this thread if you think no conclusions have been jumped to about it making financial sense.

I'm not sure what the size of the club has to with demand.