Accrington Stanley Away

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

He was superb second half two fantastic saves one of Scott Doe who also had a very good afternoon. Same as tho we went deeper and deeper after we scored the two goals why of we do it just invited them onto us .
Mikins

Sounds like we still lack the confidence to hold onto a lead and start to drop back as soon as the pressures on. it'd bloody nice to win for a change but I'd be happier to hear the words "Both full backs played well" in at least one game this season :/

Seems odd that Batt kept his place over Partridge, who whilst not great as a central defender seemed the better option at RB
Sorry about your damn luck!
hockley dagger

What time are you getting home tonight Chris? A hell of a journey for you!
SUSSEX DAGGER

hockley dagger wrote:What time are you getting home tonight Chris? A hell of a journey for you!
Got back at 11 30 all the trains married up so good result all round:
redboy

Just because we burgled a win up there doesn't change my opinion on WB at all. We're more than a quarter of the way into the season and can anyone honestly say that we've played well in any game. The matches we have won have invariably been because we weren't quite as bad as the opposition. I'm doubting the ability of some of the players, I am questioning the nous of the gaffer. As for his post match comments every week, he should be on the stage at the Apollo. He's out of his depth. Maybe some of you with this 'pub team from essex' attitude are happy for us to finish in 22nd place, but this is a shite league, hence our 9th place finish last year which totally flattered us. If we had a decent boss, we'd be top ten, maybe even challenging for promotion.
Dagdale

Hardly an el classico, but a great smile on our faces walking out of the ground at last, first half awful, all over the place and could have been in worse trouble than a one nil down. Master substitution of course after HT, the lad seemed to find a bit of space and rounded both goals in to perfection, no doubt will be on our starting line-up now starting next Saturday. Could have got close to a draw later stages but praise the boys for defending well and as mentioned Cousins made two blinding saves. 2-1 last season and the same today seems were beginning to enjoy East Lancashire more than anywhere else and with the added tonic of a boozer a stones throw from the ground dishing out an excellent lager for one pound sixty-four a pint quite a good day out!
SUSSEX DAGGER

redboy wrote:Just because we burgled a win up there doesn't change my opinion on WB at all. We're more than a quarter of the way into the season and can anyone honestly say that we've played well in any game. The matches we have won have invariably been because we weren't quite as bad as the opposition. I'm doubting the ability of some of the players, I am questioning the nous of the gaffer. As for his post match comments every week, he should be on the stage at the Apollo. He's out of his depth. Maybe some of you with this 'pub team from essex' attitude are happy for us to finish in 22nd place, but this is a shite league, hence our 9th place finish last year which totally flattered us. If we had a decent boss, we'd be top ten, maybe even challenging for promotion.
How about getting off the poor blokes back, as Dagdale said we were shocking First half and on route to Dressing Room they got the Hair Dryer treatment from a large percentage of those who made the trip.

We then saw a much better effort Second half and in the only period that we took control we made a very good side pay. 2o minutes of the Second half was played in a downpour making it even harder for a team chasing the game

This crap Manager has taken a lad out of a bloody Burger bar and turned him into a player who single headedly took apart the form team of this League, yet according to you he is clueless.

This lad is a gem admitted got a lot to learn but heavens sake our so called crap Manager has found him put his faith in him and got his reward.

Lots of things that have disappointed me this season, more then a couple of his signings I personally think are a waste of space but for each one I consider a flop one has at least shown they are more then up to it and more besides.

I am not getting carried away by todays result, we have played much much better and lost, but I at least saw a team climb of the ropes and win a game that we struggled to get hold of from the first whistle.

The bloke can do no more then win games, he did this afternoon with an inspired switch and a second half display from his side that squashed all this nonsense that he has lost the Dressing Room.

We fielded a team that contained 8 players who were not here last season and has lost four of its most influential Players for all and at least part of this season.

FFS when Moyes lost his job last season the opinion at the doors was it would take time for his team to gel. The same has also been said of his successor. Dagenham and Redbridge are not Manchester United and if a bloke like Van Geal can expect time surely Wayne can.

As the seasons progresses I expect us to get better because the amount of changes we have made,b.ut it will take time simple as
leewilson

Just to play devils advocate, if Wayne gets so much stick (and rightly so) for his home record, then surely he deserves some praise for his away record.

I just had a look and since he became manager, in the league we have won 12, drawn 11, lost 12 away from home. Now for a team that is expecting to be struggling year or year in this league, to only lose a third of away games is bloody good going.

The first year he took over in Feb/March, we won 2, drew 2 and lost 2 on the road. In the first 6 away games of this season, we have exactly the same record. Last season we managed 8 wins, 7 draws and 8 losses away.

At least we're consistent. If you assume a pattern is forming and that we're going to achieve something like 25-35 points away this season, then if we can start to win a few at home, we'll be well placed this season. I think right now I'd take an 8, 7, 8 at home since we're currently 2, 0, 4.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, traditionally teams are good at home and not as good away. This can often cloud supporter's judgement a little as more fans watch at home than away. In the good years under Stilly in League 2, we were still crap away, we just build a formidable home record. I remember the season in which we lost to Shrewsbury on the final day, Shrewsbury were god awful at home but had a blinding away record which saw them snatch 7th. Wayne seems to have done that but to a lesser extent. If we end the season with around 30 points away and we can get the home figure up to around that as well, I'll take a 60 point season.
IanC

Here here great post
Lcbdagger

Cracking couple of goals on the highlights! Brilliantly taken on both occasions... messy goal to concede as once again we are taken apart too easily in the full back positions
Adrian

leewilson wrote:Just to play devils advocate, if Wayne gets so much stick (and rightly so) for his home record, then surely he deserves some praise for his away record.

I just had a look and since he became manager, in the league we have won 12, drawn 11, lost 12 away from home. Now for a team that is expecting to be struggling year or year in this league, to only lose a third of away games is bloody good going.

The first year he took over in Feb/March, we won 2, drew 2 and lost 2 on the road. In the first 6 away games of this season, we have exactly the same record. Last season we managed 8 wins, 7 draws and 8 losses away.

At least we're consistent. If you assume a pattern is forming and that we're going to achieve something like 25-35 points away this season, then if we can start to win a few at home, we'll be well placed this season. I think right now I'd take an 8, 7, 8 at home since we're currently 2, 0, 4.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, traditionally teams are good at home and not as good away. This can often cloud supporter's judgement a little as more fans watch at home than away. In the good years under Stilly in League 2, we were still crap away, we just build a formidable home record. I remember the season in which we lost to Shrewsbury on the final day, Shrewsbury were god awful at home but had a blinding away record which saw them snatch 7th. Wayne seems to have done that but to a lesser extent. If we end the season with around 30 points away and we can get the home figure up to around that as well, I'll take a 60 point season.
It's not just the record though is it. It's also the standard of performances. The two games we have won at home weren't exactly good games to watch. Having one bad season at home is ok if offset by a decent away record. Being consistently poor at home will in the long run lead to problems as supporters will get fed up and stop attending.

Back to the records though. Looking at full seasons in FL2 for Still and Burnett, their points away from home are:
Still - 2007/08 - 24
Still - 2008/09 - 29
Still - 2009/10 - 25
Still - 2011/12 - 20
Burnett 2013/14 - 29

The two good years for 2008-2010 when we got 29 points and 25 points. Apparently we were crap in those years away, but in one of those got the same points as last season when we had what is supposedly a good away record.
Diggerthedog

Lcbdagger wrote:Cracking couple of goals on the highlights! Brilliantly taken on both occasions... messy goal to concede as once again we are taken apart too easily in the full back positions
Them highlights show up how poor Connors really is, imagine what a decent winger will do to him.
leewilson

Adrian wrote:
leewilson wrote:Just to play devils advocate, if Wayne gets so much stick (and rightly so) for his home record, then surely he deserves some praise for his away record.

It's not just the record though is it. It's also the standard of performances. The two games we have won at home weren't exactly good games to watch. Having one bad season at home is ok if offset by a decent away record. Being consistently poor at home will in the long run lead to problems as supporters will get fed up and stop attending.

Back to the records though. Looking at full seasons in FL2 for Still and Burnett, their points away from home are:
Still - 2007/08 - 24
Still - 2008/09 - 29
Still - 2009/10 - 25
Still - 2011/12 - 20
Burnett 2013/14 - 29

The two good years for 2008-2010 when we got 29 points and 25 points. Apparently we were crap in those years away, but in one of those got the same points as last season when we had what is supposedly a good away record.
Burnett got 31 points away from home last season. 8 wins and 7 draws. Only 2 points more than you state but every little counts. Also worth pointing out that with 6 away games left in 2012/13, we only had 16 points away from home. When Burnett came in, with the same team that had been struggling, he managed to achieve half of that tally in just 6 games to take us to 24 for that season.

Although Still's record in 08/09 and 09/10 is quite similar, let's bare in mind the quality of player and squad we had then as well. We think of them as our glory days where Benson was firing, we had superb wide men, sturdy defenders etc. The likes of Gain in the midfield. Yet Still couldn't conjure up more than an average away record. The year we got promoted, we were bloody awful away. I remember going to Darlo fearing we'd muck that up because we'd only won 4 away games all year up to that point.

Last season, we had a very transitional squad where we were inbetween Still's remains and Wayne building his team and we managed to top all previous football league away points tallies gained by us.

You can give the performances argument if you wish and I can't really combat that but it's a results business when it's all said and done.
Adrian

leewilson wrote:
Burnett got 31 points away from home last season. 8 wins and 7 draws. Only 2 points more than you state but every little counts. Also worth pointing out that with 6 away games left in 2012/13, we only had 16 points away from home. When Burnett came in, with the same team that had been struggling, he managed to achieve half of that tally in just 6 games to take us to 24 for that season.

Although Still's record in 08/09 and 09/10 is quite similar, let's bare in mind the quality of player and squad we had then as well. We think of them as our glory days where Benson was firing, we had superb wide men, sturdy defenders etc. The likes of Gain in the midfield. Yet Still couldn't conjure up more than an average away record. The year we got promoted, we were bloody awful away. I remember going to Darlo fearing we'd muck that up because we'd only won 4 away games all year up to that point.

Last season, we had a very transitional squad where we were inbetween Still's remains and Wayne building his team and we managed to top all previous football league away points tallies gained by us.

You can give the performances argument if you wish and I can't really combat that but it's a results business when it's all said and done.
The Football League table shows 7 wins and 8 draws away last season. Our home record was 8 wins and 7 draws. So that's still 29 points away.
So to be clear in the season that we were so bloody awful away, we only got 4 points less than last season where we should be praising the manager for the away form. We lost as many games away that season as we did last season.
You only need an average away record when you have a good home record. What we have at the moment is a poor home record and an average away record.

Yes, it is a results business, but when both the results and performance presented to the customers that end up funding the club are as poor as they have been, the results and performances presented to a small subset of customers don't really matter a great deal.
nomis

For what it's worth, i'm gonna give my opinions on what I think about our current squad and manager !

Wayne Burnett reminds me a lot like Glen Roeder !!!

Good coach but crap manager
Remember these comments are just my own personnel opinion

Roeder couldn't manage but he gave it his best shot and is now back coaching and thats where he should be
I feel the same applies to Wayne

His man management skills are non existant
He obviously has his favourites as well because from what I see every week Conner's is shite week in week out yet is obviously in front of Nathan Green in Burnett's eyes

I have only seen Green play a full 90 mins once at Portsmouth Away and from what I saw he should be wearing the left back shirt every game

Wayne's game tactics are awful to say the least

Wagamama should of been playing from the start yesterday
He caused the Orient defence a handful and why he was substituted on tuesday I will never know

My biggest gripe about our manager was last season at home to Pompey when we were getting totally outplayed for the first 20 mins
Wayne done the correct thing and brought on an extra midfielder to stop Portsmouth from playing yet takes off our top goalscorer Luke Norris and keeps Chris Dickson on the pitch !!!

Week in week out he continues to say we need to improve as a team but sorry Wayne you need to improve as a manager
If things ain't working you change it
Just ask any decent manager
He is so stubborn and doesn't take to criticism kindly hence he won't change his system

Why o why do he insist on playing one up front all the time
The one occasion we go two up front in a league match this season was at the start of yesterday's second half and we score 2 goals in 15mins
Then takes off a striker when leading 2-1 to go one up front and put all the pressure back on again

I'm lost as to what his thoughts and tactics are
Why are we so shit at home ?
Ask Wayne

He ******** don't know but everyone in the ground would be more willing to be less critical if he take some criticism and not move the benches because he don't like hearing what's being said

The current squad we have is more than capable of achieving a play off place if they are directed in the right path and managed correctly
Unfortunately until there's a change at the top that ain't gonna happen guys

Who would I replace him with ?
Due to our board and their money restraints then it has to be one of the coaching staff already here but i'd be as bold to say i'd like to see Kenny Brown at the helm

These are just my ramblings off course but there many fans not happy with Wayne and i'm hearing rumours about supporters boycotting a home game in the near future

What will this achieve ?
Personnaly i don't think it will gain anything but I can understand people's frustrations

Another player who should of been playing from the start yesterday was Billy Bingham
What the hell he has done to upset Wayne is another thing !
MOTM on Tuesday night yet not good enough to start against Stanley

These opinions of mine are echoed by lot's of fellow supporters I attend with and we can't all be wrong or can we !
Surely if we were wrong and Wayne was right we wouldn't be looking at the bottom half of the table for results every game and would be concentrating on the top half

COYD....