Shrewsbury

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Someone made a suggestion saturday to return Abu to RB position. We know he prefers to play in midfield but it woukd surely only help to shore up the defencewith him playing there?

Howell is due to return so he can play CM instead, perhaps alongside Bingham??
oddsi

I also recall a chap called Wilkinson chipping in with 5/6 no so long ago, but he was deemed surplus to requirements !! I think he's already chipped in with a couple at Luton & what with Griffiths scoring on Saturday........ nuff said I think.
leewilson

dagger4eva wrote:Someone made a suggestion saturday to return Abu to RB position. We know he prefers to play in midfield but it woukd surely only help to shore up the defencewith him playing there?

Probably a controversial opinion but I don't actually think the back 4 is THAT bad. I think Batt gets far more stick than warranted. I can accept the left back position is weak but I'm not putting that down to all our troubles. For me, our big problem is that we drop too deep as a team when we're in front. The points dropped from winning positions back that up. Our general defensive play when we're up the pitch I don't think is too bad really, aside from the diagonal ball over Connors shoulder which Green deals far better with. I don't think Ogogo dropping in to right back will solve anything really. As a team we simply need to be braver and step up.
dagger4eva

In the latter part of his interview on Daggers Player he was asked why it was so difficult to play against 10 men.

He replied "They found a little bit more space, and upped their game a bit"

You wouldn't think it was possible for a team with LESS men to find and gain MORE space. Baffling...

Also says that it's fine lines and from one moment where the team could have been heroes (the 3 v 2 situation) people are instead calling for his head.
SUSSEX DAGGER

leewilson wrote:
dagger4eva wrote:Someone made a suggestion saturday to return Abu to RB position. We know he prefers to play in midfield but it woukd surely only help to shore up the defencewith him playing there?

Probably a controversial opinion but I don't actually think the back 4 is THAT bad. I think Batt gets far more stick than warranted. I can accept the left back position is weak but I'm not putting that down to all our troubles. For me, our big problem is that we drop too deep as a team when we're in front. The points dropped from winning positions back that up. Our general defensive play when we're up the pitch I don't think is too bad really, aside from the diagonal ball over Connors shoulder which Green deals far better with. I don't think Ogogo dropping in to right back will solve anything really. As a team we simply need to be braver and step up.
Please, i have said it since he bloody we'll went into midfield with comments like play the best right back in the league at right back only to be shouted down . The only consolation is that if we had I don't think he would still be here.

Even when Wayne took over in one if his first interviews he done he said he saw him as a right back.

In our league one season I thought next to Romain he was our stand out player and his long lay off cost us dear. Remember that fateful day at Peterborough when awful lined up in his place I resigned to the fact we were going down at 3pm despite thinking the whole week previous we had a chance.

Would have been interesting what would have happened if we had hung on against both Wycombe and Shrewsbury wouldn't it.

As for Lee's comments about our back four we'll if a game last 80 minutes nobody would disagree with you.Im told we would be third and Wayne would not be hanging onto his job by his fingertips and would be a hero and not the mug the vast majority on here are asking us to believe.

We are not a million miles away from getting it right, I still remain positive it's just utter frustration at making the same mistake week on week out killing me .
Adrian

dagger4eva wrote:In the latter part of his interview on Daggers Player he was asked why it was so difficult to play against 10 men.

He replied "They found a little bit more space, and upped their game a bit"

You wouldn't think it was possible for a team with LESS men to find and gain MORE space. Baffling...

Also says that it's fine lines and from one moment where the team could have been heroes (the 3 v 2 situation) people are instead calling for his head.
In different circumstances that would be quite funny.
He has lost the plot hasn't he? He can't really believe that otherwise surely?
dagger4eva

Ha ha yea l know what you mean.

Im sure there is a perfectly good explanation for it .... somewhere or other ???
Richie

leewilson wrote:

Agreed. Batt and Connors take a battering every week and Boucard walks around aimlessly and attracts no comment. Still prefer Partridge to Batt though for what it's worth
Adrian

leewilson wrote:

Batt was pretty decent in the first half on Saturday, especially getting forward, but them disappeared in the second half. But so did Boucaud, Labadie and Porter.

I think that was the first time I've seen Green play left back for us and I liked what I saw. He won loads of headers, didn't muck around with the ball and was hard to get past. Essentially, he looked like a proper left back.
matt_drfc

I also thought Batt had a good game, probably his best that I've seen actually, wanted him to prove me wrong, hope he continues now! And like Adrian said I thought Green was really good, won a lot of headers that Jack doesn't, but probably because of his size compared to Jack he isn't targeted as much. He's not 100% perfect but he could be very good in future. Lee's post is spot on as well.
The Romford Dagger

Adrian wrote:
leewilson wrote:

Batt was pretty decent in the first half on Saturday, especially getting forward, but them disappeared in the second half. But so did Boucaud, Labadie and Porter.

I think that was the first time I've seen Green play left back for us and I liked what I saw. He won loads of headers, didn't muck around with the ball and was hard to get past. Essentially, he looked like a proper left back.

Green got forward alot which is an added bonus. Didn't stop running and main thing I liked was that he acted like he WANTS TO BE ON THE PITCH. Unlike some who couldn't give a toss sometimes.

Bingham, Green and yuseff didn't stop running and all deserve a starting place versus southport. Imagine if Wayne rests players... Our second string defense would get annialated by a non league club and three would actually be a riot.
Lcbdagger

There is an equal amount of 'bugger' and 'all' in the chances of anyone being 'rested' at the weekend... this is a bigger must win game than any League Two game coming up in terms of the future of the manager and the support of the crowd... A loss on Saturday with a peceived weakened team would be suicide... especially after the 'training ground knockabout' performance we got from those who came in to the ESC game
Mark

First half best I've seen Batt play. I think all the defence were helped by a change to a more direct approach, they were getting it forward much earlier than usual rather than playing 15 passes in our own half with Boucaud.