Logo gate, some thoughts

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

I kind of appreciate what the club are trying to do here is simplifying the badge to make it easier to print and embroider, although as I recall, when it was embroidered on the shirts a little larger a few kits ago (which one was that?), it really stood out, was readable and distinctive.

Reaction to the new badge has been pretty universal derision. I hate it, so does my 17 year old son, and pretty much all the comments on Facebook and Twitter are against too, so who exactly is this supposed to appeal to exactly? This new logo strikes me as another case of throwing out the baby with the bath water, fixing something that is barely broken with something totally naff.

Did the club engage anyone outside to look at this? There must be someone who has a knowledge of graphics design who was consulted, surely?

What did Arsenal and Spurs do when faced with an historic badge that was a little bit cluttered and complex... they picked an element out and simplified it for the shirts and other purposes, while, I am pretty sure, the historic crest remains the official one.

so

Image becomes Image

and

Image becomes Image and eventually Image

This is against what Morecambe have done, which again I personally dislike immensely, not least because the "shrimp on a shield" concept is so generic and pretty much copied off Arsenal (and Canvey Island!).

Image became Image

So if you are looking to do the same at Degenham, why not pick out an element of the current badge and use it as a subset of the whole club crest for the shirts? Oddly enough, this has already been done, for car stickers.

So

Image becomes something like

picking out the top quadrant of the current shield, crossed keys and a dagger, replacing the "pub team" with something like, "The Daggers", "Founded 1992" or even the old Dagenham club motto "Judge us by our deeds".

Surely better than Image

Thoughts?
rebeldagger

I agree, the new logo has little to do with how I see our club, bar the colours I can't connect it with Dagenham and Redbridge FC. I understand the need to update the crest, however, as pointed out I think it has gone too far, over and and beyond what any one would want.

I, and I'm sure others, take pride in our little club, and I took pride in our crest, the uniqueness of it. My only problem with it though, and what I believe is the driving force behind the change was that it wasn't clear enough.

I can't see why they just didn't make it bigger and remove the gold leaves from around the edges of it. That would be ideal in my mind.
Dagger Steve

Couldn't agree more mate. I understand the descision to modernise the badge (not that I agree with it)
I haven't seen that car sticker before but it's pretty much perfect for what they are looking for. Couple of tweaks, job done.

No comparsion to 2 meaningless plastic swords.
ARNU

So the club have had a competition for months to re-design the Logo and now its all been decided,only now do people want to have their crack at it.If really pushed Id say the old one is a bit cluttered with too much fine detail and unless you were actually shagging someone with the shirt on they'd never be able to tell what shirt it was you were wearing.The new logo does what it says on the tin.I like it.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
IanC

here here Arnu,im with ya.TBS next!
ARNU

IanC wrote:here here Arnu,im with ya.TBS next!
Don't forget the roof in the new ARNU WUM stand when I buy the club.(Well bribe the appropriate officials at the council anyway)
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:So the club have had a competition for months to re-design the Logo and now its all been decided,only now do people want to have their crack at it.If really pushed Id say the old one is a bit cluttered with too much fine detail and unless you were actually shagging someone with the shirt on they'd never be able to tell what shirt it was you were wearing.The new logo does what it says on the tin.I like it.
I entered the contest.

Here is my entry...

NickMurphy

I'm with Mike. Not against modernising it if it looks half decent and retains some of the heritage of the club.
ARNU

I like Mikes design too but Im not sure how it encapsulates all this nostalgia and "non league heritage" you are all going on about. Its just a coat of arms with Dagenham and Redbridge written underneath.At least the new one has the clubs founding date on it.Unless people can read the club name clearly it will not be any more recogniseable than the current one.I do like your one though just as much Mike.
Lcbdagger

Some will like it, the (vocal a least) majority think it's a shocker! If Some one tells me this has helped a team 'brand' in twelve months and increased merch sales then fair play... until then, it's a terrible design done on MS Paint... even the 'winning' design could have then been given to a professional designer to tighten it up and make it look professional
Dagger Steve

Lcbdagger wrote:even the 'winning' design could have then been given to a professional designer to tighten it up and make it look professional
Exactly, that's whats most worrying.

The design has had no "cleaning up" of any kind and gone straight onto the effing mugs.
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:I like Mikes design too but Im not sure how it encapsulates all this nostalgia and "non league heritage" you are all going on about. Its just a coat of arms with Dagenham and Redbridge written underneath.At least the new one has the clubs founding date on it.Unless people can read the club name clearly it will not be any more recogniseable than the current one.I do like your one though just as much Mike.
Worth pointing out that "my" design, is not my design, its a photo of a car sticker available in the club shop. I suggest we cancel the cheque to this fella and use that if we have to simplify it for the hard of thinking.
Mike the Dagger

Here is a new club badge done properly, modernising it without making it unrecognisable from what went before, oddly enough by our opponents this Saturday.

Image Image
Dagger83

You mean a badge that most of the Shrewsbury support hated?
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mike the Dagger

Dagger83 wrote:You mean a badge that most of the Shrewsbury support hated?
Yes that one. Recognisably the same club, evolution not revolution and all that.