Best daggers XI of last 10 seasons.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
The Romford Dagger

Bear in mind I can just about remember the games from 10 seasons ago as I was quite young so may be a little bias towards the more recent players.

Here's mine...
Robbo
Ogogo Arbur Goodwin McCrory

Vincelot Gain Sam.Saunders

Benno Gayle Mackail-Smith

Bench - Strevens, Danny Green, Nurse, Currie, Griffiths, Doe, Akinde

As mentioned, I have little recollection of years ago but this is what I Can remember. Probably forgot someone. Anyone else wanna do a side?

Btw - stein was superb but was before the timeframe I put down otherwise he would have b day now in first XI.
mickeyblue

The Romford Dagger wrote:Bear in mind I can just about remember the games from 10 seasons ago as I was quite young so may be a little bias towards the more recent players.

Here's mine...
Robbo
Ogogo Arbur Goodwin McCrory

Vincelot Gain Sam.Saunders

Benno Gayle Mackail-Smith

Bench - Strevens, Danny Green, Nurse, Currie, Griffiths, Doe, (Akinde) :lol: :lol: :lol:

As mentioned, I have little recollection of years ago but this is what I Can remember. Probably forgot someone. Anyone else wanna do a side?

Btw - stein was superb but was before the timeframe I put down otherwise he would have b day now in first XI.
robbo

ogogo manny doe griffiths

green vincelot ritchie

m smith benno gayle

would get pounded as would get pounded in midfield but theres my quick beer view
but we finished 9th!
The Romford Dagger

Manny and m smith? Who are they? My age coming into play here. What years were they with us?
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Tony Roberts

Danny Foster
Magnus Okounghae
John Boardman
Scott Griffiths

Danny Green
Romain Vincelot
Peter Gain
Abu Ogogo
John Nurse

Paul Benson
Mike the Dagger

We did a series of polls on DiggerDagger in 2002 to come up with a best ever Daggers squad in the first ten years of the club.

How many of these still get in I wonder?

Thanks to everyone who pointed and clicked over the last few month. The Best Ever side is now complete and reads:

1. Tony Roberts
2. Lee Goodwin
3. Ashley Vickers
4. Steve Heffer
5. Lee Matthews
6. Tim Cole
7. Mark Janney
8. Ian Richardson
9, Paul Cavell
10. Mark Stein
11. Jason Broom

12. Paul Watts
14. Courtney Naylor
15. Paul Terry
16. Danny Shipp
17. Paul Gothard

Manager: Garry Hill
DI Mike Dashwood

I am guessing when he put M Smith he meant Mackail Smith, unless he was playing Mark Smith up top rather than centre half!! Manny I am not sure, but maybe he meant Magnus??

Last 10 years I would go:

Robbo

Abs
Scotty G
Arbs
Doey

Green
Vincelot
Gainy
Nurse

Benson
CMS

Subs (will go with 5, who knows how many subs you can have these days):

Magnus
Thurgood
Gayle
Josh Scott
Lewi (we have not had many keepers!!!)

All time I would go:

Robbo

Abs
Matthews
Doey
Vickers

Janney
Vincelot
Terry
Broom

Cavell
CMS

Subs:

Gothard
Heffer
Cole
Stein
Shipp

Quite hard when you think about it!!! I think I probably sub-conciously go for people who played for a long time as well, not sure.

Also hard to judge era on era. Shame the 2000-2003 side never got to play in League (obviously) as it would be interesting to them compare them to the players who have played since 2007.
Mark

Last ten years

Robbo
Abu Doe Wilko Griffiths
Green Vincelot Gain Ritchie
Gayle Benson

Incredibly hard to leave CMS out but Benson is a legend and Gayle is probably a better player than Macca.
Adrian

I'd have the same team as Mark, but with Arber for Wilkinson.

I'd probably have CMS for Gayle, only because he did more over a longer period for us, although overall Gayle probably is a better player.

It pretty much has to be a 4-4-2 when that's the formation most of those played in as well.
ARNU

Robbo
Abs,Arber,Doe, Griffiths
Sam Saunders,Vincelot,Thurgood,Ritchie
Gayle,Benson

Saunders,Strevens,Lewy,Nurse.Okungae,Gain,Danny Green

Note I put in a fit Mark Arber.You could swap around any of my subs for players in the 1st team.Not an easy thing to pick not even for me.Always enjoyed watching all this lot on their good days.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

Robbo
Ogogo, Doe, Arber, Griffiths
Green, Vincelot, Gain, Ritchie
Benno, CMS

Subs: Lewington, Okuonghae, Saunders, Thurgood, Nurse, Strevens, Gayle.
Chigwellian

ARNU wrote:Robbo
Abs,Arber,Doe, Griffiths
Gayle,Benson

Note I put in a fit Mark Arber.You could swap around any of my subs for players in the 1st team.Not an easy thing to pick not even for me.Always enjoyed watching all this lot on their good days.
Not sure you can count Ritchie as he was never our player
ARNU

Chigwellian wrote:
ARNU wrote:Robbo
Abs,Arber,Doe, Griffiths
Gayle,Benson

Not sure you can count Ritchie as he was never our player
I didn't read the full list of rules for this thread but if I have contravened them then just shove Danny green or John Nurse in for Ritchie and add Luke Howell to the squad.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

Is Matt Saunders on your bench Arnu ;)
NickMurphy

Robbo
Abu, Doey, Arber, Griffiths
Greeny, Gain, Romain, Ritchie
Benno, Gayle.

Subs: Cousins, CMS, Wilko, Thurgood, Saunders, Okuanghae, Strevens (The good incarnation).

Just looking at that 4-4-2 is beautiful. Imagine if we had any combination of Green/Saunders/Ritchie again, how great that would be. We could potentially have that now if we just went for a basic 4-4-2 system at home, just with different players obviously. Think that back five is the initial back five from our promotion campaign before Griffiths upped sticks to Peterborough.

Also, another sub-question - do you think we had a better squad in the 08/09 season or the 09/10 season? I know we won promotion in the '10 year but I've heard a few answers to it over the years.
TommyD&R

Been going since 2006 but only really a regular since 2008 so I'll go from 2008/09, mine would be

Robbo

Griffiths
Doe
Magnus
Foster

Ritchie
Vincelot
Ogogo
Green

Benno
Gayle

Bench: Hogan, Arber, McCrory, Gain, Saunders, first spell Strevens and Murphy/Cureton