Lose tomorrow and Burnett has to go surely?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

Never mind our abysmal home form which has been done to death, in our last 46 games, the equivalent of a full season, we have 49 points.

Sounds like relegation form to me.
Lcbdagger

Don't imagine for a second he will step down willingly, or that we will actually let him go... but he did himself no favours before the Home game basically saying that we had to get through to the next round and had no excuses for not progressing... dug himself in to a corner if we struggle
AVincelotFlyingLeap

I'll move to #WayneOut if we lose tomorrow. FA cup is still massive for me
oddsi

Not a chance of that happening whilst the weak lily livered board we have continue to run the club. Thompson was quoted on the radio saturday of saying he would be happy if we finish 22nd !! With ambition like that that we may as well all give up hope .
dagger4eva

Interesting contrast in the last two threads.
One saying lose V Southport and the manager must go and the other saying it’s time to stick together.

I was at the Wimbledon game and one thing I think couldn’t be faulted was the effort put in by the players. The 200+ of us were united in getting behind them and the truth is, we absolutely did not deserve to lose the game. Were well worthy of at least a point and probably would have had it were the ref and his compadres note a bunch of total arse wipes !!

Having said that, despite defending soundly for almost the entire game it is yet another soft, soft, soft goal that we literally gifted AFC. Corner is swung in, free header to knock down, another free touch in the area and a free strike at the ball.

What also bugged me almost more than anything is the way the effing team is set up.

Doe (our best defender) being dropped. You could see he was massively pissed off not to be in the team. OK, the penalty Vs Shrewsbury was a total shocker and I guess it wasn’t his 1st of the season but does it really warrant dropping like that ??

Also, and my biggest criticism is WB quite clearly states we were to play the one way we always do, i.e. attack and try to win the game. All well and good but then he stick THE club’s most inexperienced 1st team player up front on his fking own !!!!!!!
I really rate the young boy and his work rate is second to none but he was SOOOOO isolated upfront with barely any asssitance. Chasing down high, long pumped balls. He got virtually no sniff whatsoever.
All this time we had Murphy AND Cureton getting splinters up their arse when either of them up top with Yusuff would have assisted massively I’ve no doubt.

This 1 up top tactic is so annoying and is not working whatsoever. When we brough JC & RM on together with very little time left the difference in the way we attacked and penetrated the AFC defence was like chalk and cheese !!

And what’s up with Doidge ?? Even the new loanee DEFENDER from Charlton got on in injury time in front of him. He is a massive unit of a man but still……

Next two games are critical for me. Two losses and the entire Management Team must go. Anything else I think is probably only delaying the inevitable.

I can’t help but think we have the players to get us out of this mess but unfortunately, don’t have management with the required tactical nouse to complement them.

So yes, Saturday was an improvement in many respects but the harsh reality is that it’s yet another match with Nil Poi.

The way is up…………… if only !!
Last edited by dagger4eva on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diggerthedog

oddsi wrote:Not a chance of that happening whilst the weak lily livered board we have continue to run the club. Thompson was quoted on the radio saturday of saying he would be happy if we finish 22nd !! With ambition like that that we may as well all give up hope .
This. The interview was nothing short of embarassing and disrespectful. Our budget is not as small as he likes to make out and had smiliar turnover to Brentford when we were both Promoted a few years back, lack of ambition is hindering what we can really do. All this we need to finish as high up the table is boring, hows about saying we are in it to win it because we should be. The guy is an absolute gimp who used to run a social club and the business has outgrown him, walk away Thommo and let someone who knows what they are doing run it.
Mike the Dagger

dagger4eva wrote:Interesting contrast in the last two threads.
One saying lose V Southport and the other saying it’s time to stick together.

I was at the Wimbledon game and one thing I think couldn’t be faulted was the effort put in by the players. The 200+ of us were united in getting behind them and the truth is, we absolutely did not deserve to lose the game. Were well worthy of at least a point and probably would have had it were the ref and his compadres note a bunch of total arse wipes !!

Having said that, despite defending soundly for almost the entire game it is yet another soft, soft, soft goal that we literally gifted AFC. Corner is swung in, free header to knock down, another free touch in the area and a free strike at the ball.

What also bugged me almost more than anything is the way the effing team is set up.

Doe (our best defender) being dropped. You could see he was massively pissed off not to be in the team. OK, the penalty Vs Shrewsbury was a total shocker and I guess it wasn’t his 1st of the season but does it really warrant dropping like that ??

Also, and my biggest criticism is WB quite clearly states we were to play the one way we always do, i.e. attack and try to win the game. All well and good but then he stick THE club’s most inexperienced 1st team player up front on his fking own !!!!!!!
I really rate the young boy and his work rate is second to none but he was SOOOOO isolated upfront with barely any asssitance. Chasing down high, long pumped balls. He got virtually no sniff whatsoever.
All this time we had Murphy AND Cureton getting splinters up their arse when either of them up top with Yusuff would have assisted massively I’ve no doubt.

This 1 up top tactic is so annoying and is not working whatsoever. When we brough JC & RM on together with very little time left the difference in the way we attacked and penetrated the AFC defence was like chalk and cheese !!

And what’s up with Doidge ?? Even the new loanee DEFENDER from Charlton got on in injury time in front of him. He is a massive unit of a man but still……

Next two games are critical for me. Two losses and the entire Management Team must go. Anything else I think is probably only delaying the inevitable.

I can’t help but think we have the players to get us out of this mess but unfortunately, don’t have management with the required tactical nouse to complement them.

So yes, Saturday was an improvement in many respects but the harsh reality is that it’s yet another match with Nil Poi.

The way is up…………… if only !!
I know I said that the home thing has been done to death but, the thing is here, it was another away game where we played "well" and were apparently unlucky. Being fairly local there were more Daggers there to see it, and I think this has led to a few stating that it offers hope going forward, but we just seem to be totally clueless at home and I don't see this changing any time soon given it has been a year now.

I have a feeling we will actually win tomorrow, as it's an away game and Southport aren't much cop as our official website report pointed out, which will paper over the cracks for another couple of weeks or so, until we get beaten by Carlisle, are "unlucky" at Bury and then dumped out of the cup by Eastleigh at least. Next up after that is Tranmere at our gaffe which will be a massive game whoever is in charge.
Richie

Am having similar thoughts to Daggers4Eva.

If I didn't go on Saturday I'd be in agreement that a defeat would have to see him leave, but Saturday was good. As I said to someone on the way out there is a "good" way to lose and that was definitely an example of it. However I also see Mike what Mike is saying and that the home form is the over-riding issue.
Lcbdagger

Richie wrote:Am having similar thoughts to Daggers4Eva.

If I didn't go on Saturday I'd be in agreement that a defeat would have to see him leave, but Saturday was good. As I said to someone on the way out there is a "good" way to lose and that was definitely an example of it. However I also see Mike what Mike is saying and that the home form is the over-riding issue.
Can appreciate this in theory... but surely the 'good way to lose' is only relevant if it isn't part of a longer losing cycle... if it was a first loss in 5 and we were terribly unlucky then it's a different story
SUSSEX DAGGER

Share your frustration D4E.

We spoke at half time not only did I think the goal was bad but we were once again the architect of our own downfall. If you are at the very best dodgy at defending Dead ball situations then at the very least start cutting of the source. Once again Saturday I can't be the only one who thought that the corner that lead to the goal was a needless one and the ball should have been put out for a throw at worst and the further down the pitch the better.

Not only do we need to look at the soft goals given away from restarts we badly need to stop giving cheap corners and free kicks away in the first instance.
dagger4eva

I dont remember what % he gave but I always remember Stilly banging on reltenlessly about most goals coming from "restarts" & a lot of his tactics were based around trying to avoid conceding this way.

I'm not necessarily saying I'd like us to go back to those tactics but something must be done PDQ to sort this obvious weakness out.

And dropping our best defender I feel ISNT going to assist us in this respect.......
ARNU

We should be beating Southport home or away really.I want us to win,I think we will win but the game that shoudl decide Burnetts fate must be Carlisle.If we cant beat them at home who can we beat anywhere ??

Im still not concvinced this defence will ever shape up.

I've said all along get out and loan in some decent defenders,be honest,thats where our trouble has lied all season.None of them get off the hook even the immortal Scott Doe.Being our best defender dosent mean there aren't others out there who would be better.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Dagdale

I suppose truthfully anybody whether directors, coaches and fans would say finishing 22nd they'd be happy, but IF saying that from EARLY season? too right that's no swing in the right direction, and surely as a fairly decent supporter of this club I feel why cross the turnstile if that's the bloody outlay of this club? Completely frustrates me that daggers by far have the ability to become a really good side and with the right pieces fitted in at the right places should easily be going upwards and growing in confidence. Only seen one side this season that's really tanned us (Northampton), for a side struggling playing one man up front, especially quite inexperienced lad is mad, leaving our best player out is mad and its completely mad that this has been going on far too long now and hasn't been sorted. btw great post D4E! a very good summary.
matt_drfc

I assume Burnett knows that Southport is a lot more 'must win' than the Dons game was, so left out Cureton so he can play tomorrow. Murphy isn't fully fit, so fair enough he didn't start. That leaves 1 from Yusuff, Goldberg or Doidge, personally Yusuff is the best of those 3. Tbh, it is understandable, would rather how it was on Sat than 2 of the mentioned 3 up top and leaving out 1 of Abu, BB or Howell.

I certainly would have liked to see Cureton or Murphy starting, but as i say, it's understandable why it was how it was.
matt_drfc

I expect the team tomorrow to be something along the lines of:

Cousins
Batt, Partridge, Saah, Green
Porter, Ogogo, Bingham, Hemmings
Cureton, Yusuff