Potential Replacements - The Obvious Ones

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

Not Peter Taylor. Whatever we do, please not Peter Taylor.
ARNU

leewilson wrote:Not Peter Taylor. Whatever we do, please not Peter Taylor.
Former England manager.Not as if we are gonna get that calibre ever, if at all anyway.
Why don't you like him ? Or more seriously,as it shouldn't be about personality,what did he do wrong that Dagenham wouldn't profit from ?
Surely we'd love a proven manager.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
DaggerSince92

ARNU wrote:
Former England manager.Not as if we are gonna get that calibre ever, if at all anyway.
Why don't you like him ? Or more seriously,as it shouldn't be about personality,what did he do wrong that Dagenham wouldn't profit from ?
'Proven manager' your lack of knowledge is astounding.
DI Mike Dashwood

I would hardly say he is unproven though. His record is mixed I would say.

Did good job at Leicester to start with, and has had good spells at Gills amongst other clubs, and did an excellent job with England Under 21s (different sort of job that obviously).
Auntie Merge

This. How many clubs has he been sacked from / got relegated?
leewilson

ARNU wrote:
That was a long time ago. His record since leaving Hull in 2006 says it all. Failed at Palace. Failed at Stevenage (quite terribly actually). Had a good season at Wycombe (despite not being overly popular) but left the following season. Failed at Bradford. Struggled at Gillingham.

Back in the day he had a good spell with the U21s. Had a good first six months at Leicester before it all went to shit. Had a good season at Brighton before resigning and a couple of good ones with Hull. This is nigh on 10 years ago though. He's failed pretty much eveywhere he's gone over the last 10 years. Bradford fans moaned about his extremely negative football. Wycombe fans moaned about his negative football. Stevenage fans raged over the fact he took them from 4 points off top to 22 points off top from November - May.

He is a dinosaur. It's clear from his success of the last 10 years that his methods are outdated. If we're going to sack Wayne, there will be far better candidates out there. I'd take Martin Ling, Sammy Mcilroy etc over him in a heartbeat. I'd consider enquiring about Dougie Freedman as well. It never worked out for him at Bolton, his stock will have fallen. But he's not the first manager to fail at his 2nd club after huge success at his first. A club like us with quieter surroundings may just allow him to get his head down and rebuild his reputation.

I'm all for experience but like John Still, if I'm looking for an experienced manager I'd be looking for someone who knows the lower league like the back of their hand.
leewilson

Some quotes on Peter Taylor from supporters of the clubs he's managed. I've not chosen these just to suit my argument either. These are the first ones I've come across:

"Taylor would be a good Director of Football or a scout, but a manager he is not. Tactically inept." - Gillingham fan
http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.p ... try5956194

"Peter Taylor is the footballing anti-christ. He got us promoted thanks to some excellent players left here after the Lambert reign (fortunately a lot of which were defenders which obviously suits him). Once he started bringing in his own players we went down hill very quickly." - Wycombe fan
http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.p ... try4369094

"How has this guy been so successful in his career? During my time watching Bradford I have never seen a more defensive minded manager, who even when losing would prefer to have 10 men behind the ball. The problem is with him is that he has no clue about what our best starting XI is. I'm pretty sure we haven't started with the same team for 2 games on the run. The guy is clueless. Of course, he hasn't been helped with injuries to all of our key players, but with the squad that we have, we should be doing so much better than this. I seem to recall Wycombe fans telling us about his negative ways when he first came here, I honestly didn't think it would be this bad. The guy has no tactics apart from defend, and we can even do that properly! The fact that we had to cancel the supporters coach to Aldershot tonight due to lack of interest shows where this is going. Attendances are on there way down as well, with a lot of people not renewing their season tickets for next year. These are bad times to be a Bradford fan."
http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.p ... try4369094
ARNU

Well after a well thought through and well researched argument by you Lee I have no other alternative to agree Taylor is probably a c*nt :lol: .

I don't think he is so poor that he couldn't do something with the daggers not least revitalise his own reputation.
I like the shout for Sammy MCilroy,admired him as a player(saw him play a few times probably before most on here were born)and his work with Morecambe.He'd be good for us.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

Auntie Merge wrote:

You lot really are deluded. Here we are a Club without a pot to piss in and you think a successful Manager is going to rock up here.

If and when it happens it will be a seriel failure like Taylor or an inexperienced one like Wayne Burnett.
DI Mike Dashwood

Absolutely spot on Sussex. And before anyone reverts to my lists from the other day, most of those were tongue in cheek.

If people think we are going to get a top quality manager, meeting all the criteria people are laying out on here, then they have another thing coming.

And Lee, what experience of the lower leagues does Freedman have (thats genuine question by way)?? was he at Barnet or am I imagining that??
Auntie Merge

That is why I think Martin Ling is a good bet. He wants an opportunity to prove himself again. He would enjoy being part of our family-friendly club. He has experience of success.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Diggerthedog wrote:
AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote:Everyone mentioned so far would be great (Sturrock can ****** off though). Mark Yeates is a great shout, I always thought he was a very good manager

He would certainly know how to get results at this level.

Errrr so why was he sacked by Cheltenham oh yes for failing to get results at thus level.
leewilson

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Auntie Merge wrote:

You lot really are deluded. Here we are a Club without a pot to piss in and you think a successful Manager is going to rock up here.

If and when it happens it will be a seriel failure like Taylor or an inexperienced one like Wayne Burnett.
Sorry Chris. There will be good managers out there who have had a bad spell at one club or so that has hurt their reputation and are looking to get back into the game who will be capable of doing a decent job at us. Why should I accept a managerial dinosaur who is clearly past it when such candidates are out there? Martin Ling is one who would be far superior to Taylor. Steve Tilson made the mistake of staying at Southend for too long and then went to a club going through a rough patch in Lincoln. As a manager, I think he has a lot to offer still. Mark Yates did a very good job at Kiddiminster and started superbly at Cheltenham before making some poor decisions in the transfer market and PR wise. Does this make him a terrible manager? I don't particularly like him but he's far more 'current' than Taylor would be.

I think you underestimate us somewhat. We are a Football League club. Regardless of our financial situation, we are an opportunity for a manager who is looking for a route back into league football. That will be an attractive proposition for some. Whilst I agree that we're not going to attract someone with widespread success (they'd be heading up the pyramid), we can certainly attract someone who has been successful but is currently off the radar due to whatever reason.

And Mike, I wasn't referring to Freedman as someone who had a real experience at the lower levels. The point I was trying to make was that I'm not against experienced managers providing that they have done well at a lower levels in the past, such as Still. It probably wasn't the best point I've ever made.

Freedman hasn't had any real experience at the lower level but then neither had Ince, Rowett etc. Sometimes if you're good enough, you're good enough. Freedman showed enough good signs at Palace to show that he has some nous about him. Who knows if it'd work here but it's a name that may not be completely unrealistic.
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Auntie Merge wrote:

I don't think anyone thinks a successful manager is going to come to us. However, that doesn't mean we have to accept one of the long list of out of work managers that tend to bounce from job to job every 18 months (or less).
There will be people looking to get going again but aren't serial failures and people at lower levels looking to make a move up.

One thing I would say is that until there is a realistic option to bring straight in there isn't actually much point in sacking the current management team.
Diggerthedog

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:
AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote:Everyone mentioned so far would be great (Sturrock can ****** off though). Mark Yeates is a great shout, I always thought he was a very good manager

He would certainly know how to get results at this level.

Errrr so why was he sacked by Cheltenham oh yes for failing to get results at thus level.
He built a great side at Cheltenham but like all clubs they got sold or left for bigger contracts then results dipped, previous to that they did very well on a limited budget.