From the glory days...

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

Today is the 13th anniversary of our biggest ever home crowd.

http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8222520
Dagger Steve

Same FA cup run that included Robbos 90th minute goal at Basingstoke, and tonking league opposition (again) in the form of Exeter 3-0.
Kevin

Cracking game that..was bonkers when we went ahead - yet another FA Cup special from Junior!! 8-)
Lcbdagger

Is that the season Ipswich went down but got in to Europe?? What a team we had then
The Romford Dagger

As somebody who is mainly an ipswich fan, ipswich had one hell of a team around this time. Was around the time i began being ipswich fan actually... I was 3 so didnt get to game so wish tbe game had came 5 years later tbh. Still dont know how we got the attendance so big that day. Cant imagine 5,949 in the ground tbh. And i missed the play of game which was over 4k.

1 day we will see a plus 4000 attendance again surely...
matt_drfc

The Romford Dagger wrote:As somebody who is mainly an ipswich fan, ipswich had one hell of a team around this time. Was around the time i began being ipswich fan actually... I was 3 so didnt get to game so wish tbe game had came 5 years later tbh. Still dont know how we got the attendance so big that day. Cant imagine 5,949 in the ground tbh. And i missed the play of game which was over 4k.

You support Ipswich??? You should have mentioned it.
The Romford Dagger

matt_drfc wrote:
The Romford Dagger wrote:As somebody who is mainly an ipswich fan, ipswich had one hell of a team around this time. Was around the time i began being ipswich fan actually... I was 3 so didnt get to game so wish tbe game had came 5 years later tbh. Still dont know how we got the attendance so big that day. Cant imagine 5,949 in the ground tbh. And i missed the play of game which was over 4k.

Realised right after i posted it... Sh1t mentioned ipswich already couple times this week. My bad but im not about the editing life mate so leave it how it is. Ahah
matt_drfc

The Romford Dagger wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:

Realised right after i posted it... Sh1t mentioned ipswich already couple times this week. My bad but im not about the editing life mate so leave it how it is. Ahah
:lol:
Auntie Merge

Kevin wrote:Cracking game that..was bonkers when we went ahead - yet another FA Cup special from Junior!! 8-)
Me too. I didn't see much of Junior's goal because the ground was so packed and a row of 6ft 6in blokes in hats were blocking my view, but the madness and atmosphere in the sieve was fantastic. That was the game where I decided that I was fed up with having to rely on tv/Internet to see the goals and transferred to the Carling.
dagger4eva

Fantastic day and that cup run as a whole, particularly the Basingstoke game will NEVER be forgotton.

Gotta say, the 2 games v Charlton, especially when considering what we were at the time have to be two of the greatest occasions in our history.

And I still cant get over how spawny John Salako's late equaliser was!! :D
Mike the Dagger

It was a bit mental that full in parts of the ground at least.

Here were my thoughts on the problems we had with the ground at that time: http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8222894

As you say, wouldn't it ge great to have similar problems again!
ARNU

6000 attendance nearly. Maybe if we get to round 3 of the cup we might draw Arsenal or something.

Very interesting piece Mike,cheers.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
The Romford Dagger

Mike the Dagger wrote:

It was a bit mental that full in parts of the ground at least.

Here were my thoughts on the problems we had with the ground at that time: http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8222894

As you say, wouldn't it ge great to have similar problems again!
Q
Cheers for that Mike. Didn't know there was problems that day. Has there been any more trouble between different sets of fans since? Just wondering tbh?
Mike the Dagger

The Romford Dagger wrote:
Q
Cheers for that Mike. Didn't know there was problems that day. Has there been any more trouble between different sets of fans since? Just wondering tbh?
There wasn't anything major, just the usual idiots that turn up at the big games not really caring about the game that much, looking for a bit of trouble, generally heard singing "bubbles" or some such nonsense. They accumulated at the Pondfield end of the Sieve to be as near the away end as possible and were obnoxious throughout. There was definitely a drink/cup/ plastic bottle (can't recall exactly what TBH) thrown at the lineo who stopped the game and reported it to the ref in that corner, and reports that coins were thrown into the Ipswich end which I never heard substantiated properly.

TBH 6,000 in Victoria Road is only possible if all areas of the ground get filled evenly, and we didn't manage to get that right at either of the big home cup matches. I'd hope we would do better now, but the chance of another match like those seems a long way off while we don't seem to take the cups very seriously. That is a big shame in my opinion, as you can't moan about being skint, then toss an opportunity away like we did in the FA Cup this season so lightly.