Positives and Negatives

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Cockney Byrites

Totally against the grain.

Please have a little look at my latest Daggers post

Thanks in advance

http://cockneybyrites.blogspot.com
SUSSEX DAGGER

Good account but you will not get a lot of support on here mate.

Sadly the only recruits he has made since last season to be a success are Ayo ,Cousins,Cureton.Both Yasseff and Doidge need time but at have at least shown something. The rest have been given ample opportunity but have proved either we'll short or lack something vital.

Wayne has not helped himself by putting faith in Players like Batt who continues to show a could not care attitude and plays as if the job he is primary there to do I.e defend is all beneath him. This view I expressed after the very first game and came in for a pillaring on here for expressing it.

The midfield needs bite and altho I share your view about Abu the harsh reality is we are going to have to keep with him in midfield simply to get us up and down the pitch. He did not look 100% Tuesday night but he was box to box put Howell in with him and I think we will see a vast improvement in our ability to score from midfield.

That leaves Jack Connors who looks far better when he has somebody in front of him, his form seemed to go when we lost Hines last season .

Losing the two wide men in Medi and Zav has also been a big blow,I defy anybody to say they would prefer either Hemmings or Chambers.

Big month coming up and at the end of it I think we will know where we are likely to be next year, sadly unlike other times we have been in this situation we have all circled the wagons and stuck together. Sadly Wayne will not have that and that could prove to be vital.
Mike the Dagger

Comment 1: The font you use is really difficult to read. has been said before but hey... it's your blog.

Comment 2: I'd love it if we went on an unbeaten run and Wayne was able to stick two fingers up at his critics. Unfortunately, at the moment, any unbeaten run would go 0-0, 1-0, 0-0, 0-0, 1-0 etc. We seem to have stopped even trying to score goals in recent weeks.

Comment 3: Believe it or not, I go to football on a Saturday afternoon to meet up with my mates, have a laugh and enjoy a bit of entertainment from the game having been working all week. I've been around since Dagenham FC were in the Rothmans Isthmian League Division Two (with a few breaks when life intervened), and can say that for the vast majority of that time, a game at the Daggers has been, with the occasional exception, an entertaining afternoon out.

It hasn't been all a bed of roses, but you could always guarantee that a Daggers side would give their all within the limitations of the talent available, win, lose or draw. Also the players and the fans had something a bit special in common generally that other clubs higher up the ladder didn't have. This was the point of John Still's "to be a Dagger" speech after the Play Off final. A bit cheesy, but actually close to the truth. What other club could you stand and watch the highlights of them playing at Wembley with the manager and half the team in the club bar?

Since the ill judged public rant at his team by Wayne after they beat Wycombe 2-0 at the end of November 2013, at which point we had lost just once at home that season, I think I can say that rather than being entertained week on week with the odd disappointment, things have turned around to a point where it is rare to get any kind of real enjoyment out of watching the team play and it has become a chore.

As someone that has followed the club for over 40 years (and admittedly was lucky enough to be elsewhere during the dark days of the mid 90s) I have to say that the current regime have got me to the point where, even as a season ticket holder, I am taking any excuse I can find to not bother being at games.

This is a committed supporter so what chance have we of attracting new fans?

This can't be right, surely? Something has to change, doesn't it?

Comment 4: Quite apart from all that, the record of the current team managing and coaching the Daggers is poor enough to justify the club looking elsewhere and I am sure that pretty much any other team in the Football League would have sacked them ages ago. That is a fact of life for football managers, rightly or wrongly, whatever their contract says, it's a temporary position.

I'm not arguing that they aren't lovely people, and work really hard, but it just isn't working. For details of our ongoing lack of any kind of form see the various other threads on here, particularly "Stat attack" and "Form is temporary".
Chigwellian

Mike the Dagger wrote: Comment 4: Quite apart from all that, the record of the current team managing and coaching the Daggers is poor enough to justify the club looking elsewhere and I am pretty sure that pretty much any other team in the Football League would have sacked them ages ago. That is a fact of life for football managers, rightly or wrongly, whatever their contract says, it's a temporary position.
I thought I would add that many of us amongst us thought that John Still was here 'past his sell by date', and I even remember that we were saying that JS wont ever be sacked as it is probably due to loyalty towards him.

I was one of those that was probably in the camp of keeping him on due to loyalty.

BUT... Once he went, I remember that the forum was saying that loyalty to the management must not happen again if it was detrimental to the club, and lets face it, no manager, player or staff is bigger than the club

Why, o why are we giving this man the time of day with keeping him in a job he is not able to do with any competence... Is it due to loyalty yet again.....

Groundhog day !!
ARNU

Mike the Dagger wrote:Comment 1: The font you use is really difficult to read. has been said before but hey... it's your blog.

Comment 2: I'd love it if we went on an unbeaten run and Wayne was able to stick two fingers up at his critics. Unfortunately, at the moment, any unbeaten run would go 0-0, 1-0, 0-0, 0-0, 1-0 etc. We seem to have stopped even trying to score goals in recent weeks.

Comment 3: Believe it or not, I go to football on a Saturday afternoon to meet up with my mates, have a laugh and enjoy a bit of entertainment from the game having been working all week. I've been around since Dagenham FC were in the Rothmans Isthmian League Division Two (with a few breaks when life intervened), and can say that for the vast majority of that time, a game at the Daggers has been, with the occasional exception, an entertaining afternoon out.

It hasn't been all a bed of roses, but you could always guarantee that a Daggers side would give their all within the limitations of the talent available, win, lose or draw. Also the players and the fans had something a bit special in common generally that other clubs higher up the ladder didn't have. This was the point of John Still's "to be a Dagger" speech after the Play Off final. A bit cheesy, but actually close to the truth. What other club could you stand and watch the highlights of them playing at Wembley with the manager and half the team in the club bar?

Since the ill judged public rant at his team by Wayne after they beat Wycombe 2-0 at the end of November 2013, at which point we had lost just once at home that season, I think I can say that rather than being entertained week on week with the odd disappointment, things have turned around to a point where it is rare to get any kind of real enjoyment out of watching the team play and it has become a chore.

As someone that has followed the club for over 40 years (and admittedly was lucky enough to be elsewhere during the dark days of the mid 90s) I have to say that the current regime have got me to the point where, even as a season ticket holder, I am taking any excuse I can find to not bother being at games.

This is a committed supporter so what chance have we of attracting new fans?

This can't be right, surely? Something has to change, doesn't it?

Comment 4: Quite apart from all that, the record of the current team managing and coaching the Daggers is poor enough to justify the club looking elsewhere and I am sure that pretty much any other team in the Football League would have sacked them ages ago. That is a fact of life for football managers, rightly or wrongly, whatever their contract says, it's a temporary position.

I'm not arguing that they aren't lovely people, and work really hard, but it just isn't working. For details of our ongoing lack of any kind of form see the various other threads on here, particularly "Stat attack" and "Form is temporary".
Totally agree.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:
Totally agree.
That is so worrying.... ;)
Auntie Merge

I agree with Mike the Dagger and therefore Arnu too. Seriously worrying.
Diggerthedog

Auntie Merge wrote:I agree with Mike the Dagger and therefore Arnu too. Seriously worrying.
Arnu can come for tea and cakes too.
dagger4eva

Your comments about that Wycombe game got me interested in just how good/bad our results at home have been since.

Did you know that following that very comfortable 2-0 – we went on to play another 14 games at home last season, winning just 2.

This season we have played 13 home games, winning 4.

Total: Played 27 – Won 6

Don’t know if anything can be taken from these stats – probably not, but there they are anyway :lol:
Mike the Dagger

Diggerthedog wrote:
Auntie Merge wrote:I agree with Mike the Dagger and therefore Arnu too. Seriously worrying.
Only if the best chairs are kept for home fans.
Mike the Dagger

dagger4eva wrote:Your comments about that Wycombe game got me interested in just how good/bad our results at home have been since.

Did you know that following that very comfortable 2-0 – we went on to play another 14 games at home last season, winning just 2.

This season we have played 13 home games, winning 4.

Total: Played 27 – Won 6

Don’t know if anything can be taken from these stats – probably not, but there they are anyway :lol:
Scary isn't it, especially when we were very lucky to get the two wins after that in 2013/14, just hanging on with 10 against Wimbledon, and Howell's magic bullet triple rebound against Oxford. Up to the Wycombe rant we had played 9, won 6, drawn 2 and lost 1, and beaten Colchester in the Paint Pot.

Co-incidence that this was when it all went wrong?
Blackie645

Although I have been accused of being part of the coaching team by sticking up for WB, I have to say now think it is time for a change, but it is far too late now.
John Still when he took over had a ethos of being a Dagger, and everyone worked in the same direction to take the club forward, if you go back to Gary Hills time he was a motivator of players, and with Terry Harris was a great combination apart from the last year.
If John Still got a player in he emphasised as selling the club he was a dagger, he has taken this ethos to Luton, where everyone's a 'Hatter' even fans go into the team huddle before and after a game, and I heard one of the Luton directors say he has the club pulling in the same direction.
What I am trying to say is Wayne Burnett has not brought any ethos into the club, players only play for the money not for the club, there may be one or two like Doe who loves our club, but not many.
I remember Dave Andrews after the play off final saying it doesn't matter where we play, conference, football league, division 1, we have friends wherever we play, lake of ambition!
Finally if we go down every player will leave remember Doe and Abu are out of contract this year, new coach and manager, and redundancies at the club.
Beware if John Still is at one of our games he is after one of our players, I actually saw John Still with his grandson in Tescos at Roneo Corner not to long ago, if he is looking for a bargain he comes to his old club, I will support the daggers wherever we play.
Lcbdagger

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:
Only if the best chairs are kept for home fans.
Haha take a bow sir!
ARNU

I been on Burnetts case over that Wycombe thing since it happened,even asked him about it.

Flattered that you all agree with me these days,my work on earth is done. :shock:
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:I been on Burnetts case over that Wycombe thing since it happened,even asked him about it.

Flattered that you all agree with me these days,my work on earth is done. :shock:
Very true, and here is the proof: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=132

I remember sitting in the car listening to the interview that evening and wondering what Wayne was smoking. That has happened more and more since TBH. i bet he wishes he had had a few more poor 2-0 home wins since though.

Next up, ARNU was right all along about needing a roof at the Bury Road End....