Just how stupid and gullible is the average football fan?

Discuss matters to do with anything football related
rechitski kinzhal

I only ask in the wake of the Hull City "the supporters can die as soon as they want" quote. Surely there can't be anyone so naive as to believe it was a misinterpretation. A lot of people are misinterpreted in the press, but in this case the owner has clearly said "it is my club, and I couldn't give a toss what you think".
Would you put up with such a person in charge of this club?
A lot of people from Hull will accept it, in the same way that a lot of people in Cardiff did when their owner did a similar thing with the club colours rather than the name. And of course the "acceptance" of such things wanted is palatable at this time as the clubs concerned are successful.
Oh well, foreign owners of football clubs in this country is a very good thing ..... I know that because one of them said so.
Mike the Dagger

Quite gullible sadly. The big problem is though that fans of almost every club in the country want to be playing higher than they are now, so someone coming in and promising the moon (and signing a load of expensive players the club can't really can't afford long term) will almost always be welcomed.

A few will make a noise, and walk away, maybe even form a "FC United" style club, but a lot of fans will still turn up if the "Tigers" are winning or playing one of the big boys, and stop coming along if they are losing and sliding back down the leagues. These guys come along and turn what is a Championship level team by tradition into a Premier League club with their investments and most people in the cities concerned are happy with that.

Most of these guys who come and buy into our clubs from abroad now are so rich that they are used to getting their own way on stuff, and if they want their team playing in red, or to move to Milton Keynes, or change their name, well, "its my money... where would you be without it?"

I'm pretty sure that if you skip forward ten years, clubs like Hull and Cardiff will be "doing a Pompey" and playing below their natural level while they work out how they get over the chronic overspending of an owner that has moved on having run out of patience or money. Just don't come round my way with a bucket collection or anything.

Once again glad to be a supporter of a pub team from Essex, still effectively run by its fans. Long may it continue!
Crushed Dreams

He's not really from abroad in the sense normally taken - lived here 35 years and was more or less penniless when he arrived. Left Egypt to escape the Nasser regime. Been a benefactor to a number of institutions in Hull.

However, I agree with the sentiment of big money players buying into a club and treating it as their toy.
Richie

On the case of the "Hull Tigers" am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal? If he was getting rid of Hull I'd agree but is "City" really something to care that much about?
Tranced

Richie wrote:On the case of the "Hull Tigers" am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal? If he was getting rid of Hull I'd agree but is "City" really something to care that much about?
It is a big deal. It's their name; their history. "Hull Tigers" sounds like something straight out of America. ******** embarrassing.
Mike the Dagger

Oh great, the FA are going to "consult" fans... sorted then!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25347644