Alex Ferguson.

Discuss matters to do with anything football related
rechitski kinzhal

I have not read his book, nor do I intend to, but there has been plenty in the press about what is in it.
Why? Why, would he write such a thing?
Now clearly the newspapers print the most provocative extracts, and put spin on it that may well not have been intended .... and also, I am sure he was put under pressure by the publishers to "make it meaty".
But I still cannot understand why he would wish to do it. Why would he even want to write a book .... surley can't be vanity, and surely can't be for money.
I have no idea what his annual salary was at Manchester United ..... but I think I can safely assume it was "lots of money", undoubtedly more than the average person could ever spend, and he brought this money in every year for 26 years. So it is unlikely he has been short of cash. Even now, he would be able to command huge fees by being a TV pundit, giving interviews, after-dinner speaking - the list is endless.
So why would he wish to write a book in which he comes across, rightly or wrongly, as a deeply bitter and unpleasant man. As a football manager his behaviour was often quite pathetic and unforgiving, but that was accepted as being part of the high pressure job he had. The end of match bottle of fine wine he used to give opposition managers was, we thought, an example that in real life, away from the pressures, he was a decent chap. Now his legacy is likely to be that of a nasty man.
Any ideas?
Darkling

I havent read it, just saw some key marks from the news, but I didnt like at all the "everybody else is wrong" attitude.

Keane was wrong, Beckham was wrong, Rooney was wrong, Wenger was wrong, come on now please. Especially for all your players this is quite unfair since science is not so improved so to clone and have 11 Fergusons in the pitch...!

The whole book might be different though, I dont know.
I m afraid of nothing, not today
DagenHammer87

I think it would make an interesting read. I don't mean the success years, I think the first couple of years would be the most interesting chapters.

He was always going to cash in on a book deal. Football fans worldwide would have an interest, even if they aren't united fans. Who can blame a bloke for upping the value of his estate at his age, so eventually it can be passed on to his wife, kids and grandkids?

Being the sort that doesn't particularly like his bully boy tactics and inflamed sense of self worth, I'd still read this book. Whatever you think of the guy, he's done it all - albeit at a time where football is on the verge of a financial imploding, at a ground where more penalties are awarded to the home team and the infamous Fergie time, you have to say he's done really rather well.

As for spilling the beans now, he reminds me very much of someone who would be professional enough to do the job, knowing full well that he would get the final word.

As for the Keane backers, have you watched him for the last 20 years? Head majorly planted in his own back doors. Him and Chiles on itv punditry is enough to turn any reasonable bloke into a teacup throwing, boot kicking, red nosed, shouty, sweaty - put it all in a book 26 years later arse!
Paul from Barking

I lost a lot of respect for fergi when his book came out - but I will say that to the contrary David Beckham went up in my esteem wjen he didn't take the bait and slag back
anthony

I've read it and the only players he has a go at are keane and Hargreaves. Keane gets it for being a total know and Hargreaves because he couldn't overcome his injuries and lied to him. It's a great book with a lot of insight into the man and the way he did things. He's very complimentary about all of his players bar those two. Read it you'll be surprised at how the media twisted it
Mike the Dagger

anthony wrote:I've read it and the only players he has a go at are keane and Hargreaves. Keane gets it for being a total know and Hargreaves because he couldn't overcome his injuries and lied to him. It's a great book with a lot of insight into the man and the way he did things. He's very complimentary about all of his players bar those two. Read it you'll be surprised at how the media twisted it
Media twisting things?? Gasp!

;)