Confederate Flag

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Double standards much ???
Attachments
20180313_103520.jpg
Daggernewbie

dagger4eva wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 am Double standards much ???
And this was also highlighted to Glyn Hopkin before he pulled out and I wonder how long before this is deemed offence to post.
Alan

I note that it is not the Trump Daggers flag and is not being displayed at a Daggers game.
dagger4eva

And ?
Daggernewbie

Alan wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am I note that it is not the Trump Daggers flag and is not being displayed at a Daggers game.
The club deemed the confederate flag racist flag ( which the supporters club committee back them when they banned it at home games ) not the picture of Trump so it`s double standards what ever way you look at it.
ThatRoundThing

dagger4eva wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 am Double standards much ???

Brings back memories for me having played the Sunday night venue in at least 5 different bands over many years. I know the current organisers very well and also all the previous organisers. All those musicians pictured I have previously worked with at some time in various venues all over the UK.

I would say 99% of British Country Music venues display a variety of USA state flags including the Confederate flag and many punters like to dress in USA period western outfits which include Red Indian, Union and Confederate outfits as well as various Traditional and modern outfits. It has always added to the atmosphere at these venues when I started on the circuit from the early 70’s up until about 8yrs ago.

Many venues still have gun shoot outs or fast draw competitions. Lots of performers include reference to the Confederates in their song repertoire inc, The South Will Rise Again, If Heaven Ain’t A Lot like Dixie, The Night They Drove Ol Dixie Down and many more.

Last weekend held at the O2 was the massive 3 day Country2Country festival which brought in many USA Headline acts and although I didn’t attend this year I could be pretty certain that the Confederate flag could be seen in either merchandising, punters clothing or some guise or other. I would also have expected Southern State song reference to have been performed by some of the many artists that performed on various stages at the O2 over the 3 days.
Spring to Autumn sees the start of many Country Festivals throughout the UK that include American Civil War reinactments and most large Holiday camps hold Country and Line Dance events early Winter to keep their camps full after summer has gone. It would be a great shame if political correctness stopped some of the activities and atmosphere that has been created over 40+ years here in the UK and seen quite a few US presidents come and go.
I had the privilege of playing on stage in one of the many American Honky Tonk live music bars in Texas (The Broken Spoke) pre Trump, and the place was awash with Rednecks as were the other venues I visited where a Confederate flag was always on display even some pick up trucks in Confederate livery.
Blimey I do go on but memories do tend to live on. Lucky I didn’t go on about Chicken Shit Bingo in Little Ginnys bar 😂

Surprised that no one mentioned the many “Yiddo” chants that were witnessed on the televised Bournemouth v Spurs game on TV.
Mike the Dagger

The club had complaints about the Confederate flag when it was displayed and shown on TV at the home play off semi final last season. This was also picked up by the FA I believe who contacted the club about it being displayed.

The flag iteself is widely regarded as being a racist symbol both here and definitely in large parts of the USA. At around that time Donald Trump and North Korea were having a dick measuring competition over nuclear weapons. It is not something that the football club wanted to be associated with and particularly it would seem our new investor.

A few pretend cowboys use it in the clubhouse on Sundays. Yep, possibly double standards there, but that is not on live TV as a depiction of the football club, and by implication it's owners and it's fans.

Dave Bennett approached supporters at the second leg offering to pay to replace it, however this was rejected because it wasn't done through the right channels apparently (see various podcasts). The SC felt this could all have been resolved by going through them and a meeting in the summer which didn't happen. Paul Gwinn however re-iterated that the flag was banned and made a further offer to pay for the flag to be replaced in writing to the SC in July, but this was also not followed up.

Hopkin banned it and all other flags from home games, and after the issues at Eastleigh in August, which may or may not have been anything to do with the flags and their owners, Hopkin asked that future opponents be made aware that the flags were banned at Victoria Road setting off the whole "email" thing. The club maintain they only emailed Fylde and Maidstone, the banshees insist the "club must hate the fans" and it was sent to everyone (except Orient and Hartlepool).

The rest is history!

Picture below taken in Charlottesville, August 2017!

https://lifeandfaith.blog/2017/08/22/charlottesville/
ThatRoundThing

Mike the Dagger wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 pm The club had complaints about the Confederate flag when it was displayed and shown on TV at the home play off semi final last season. This was also picked up by the FA I believe who contacted the club about it being displayed.

The flag iteself is widely regarded as being a racist symbol both here and definitely in large parts of the USA. At around that time Donald Trump and North Korea were having a dick measuring competition over nuclear weapons. It is not something that the football club wanted to be associated with and particularly it would seem our new investor.

A few pretend cowboys use it in the clubhouse on Sundays. Yep, possibly double standards there, but that is not on live TV as a depiction of the football club, and by implication it's owners and it's fans.

Dave Bennett approached supporters at the second leg offering to pay to replace it, however this was rejected because it wasn't done through the right channels apparently (see various podcasts). The SC felt this could all have been resolved by going through them and a meeting in the summer which didn't happen. Paul Gwinn however re-iterated that the flag was banned and made a further offer to pay for the flag to be replaced in writing to the SC in July, but this was also not followed up.

Hopkin banned it and all other flags from home games, and after the issues at Eastleigh in August, which may or may not have been anything to do with the flags and their owners, Hopkin asked that future opponents be made aware that the flags were banned at Victoria Road setting off the whole "email" thing. The club maintain they only emailed Fylde and Maidstone, the banshees insist the "club must hate the fans" and it was sent to everyone (except Orient and Hartlepool).

The rest is history!

All agreed Mike but many USA people also believe the Confederate flag is a major part of American heritage and history and people have Confederate descendants.
I suppose in the same way British people still celebrate Guy Fawkes who in modern day terms could be labelled as a terroist who attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament which would have seen killing and maiming of innocent people that isn’t to dissimilar than what we have witnessed recently. Just another point of view really.
Mike the Dagger

ThatRoundThing wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm
All agreed Mike but many USA people also believe the Confederate flag is a major part of American heritage and history and people have Confederate descendants.
I suppose in the same way British people still celebrate Guy Fawkes who in modern day terms could be labelled as a terroist who attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament which would have seen killing and maiming of innocent people that isn’t to dissimilar than what we have witnessed recently. Just another point of view really.
Definitely another view, and having travelled extensively in the US I have seen the flag on a lot of vehicles and elsewhere. You can't deny it's racist undertone though. You won't seen too many African Americans wearing or displaying it.

At this point D4E will probably pop up and point at the National Front using the Cross of St George and Union Jack, but those are people trying to confuse patriotism with something else. The Confederate flag is actually a symbol from the South's war to retain slavery in the 1850s.
daggerfirst

Anyone know when these flags appeered?
Was Hop along Hopkins right to say they were
aimed at him.
dagger4eva

You underplay it if you wish by making it out to be a few fake cowboys.

The fact is, if its actually such a horrid, vile, racist flag (I actually have little or no view on whether it is or not) - then the club ought to have banned it many years ago from being put out at the club.

The fact it's a different circumstance to it being displayed at a football match is frankly neither here nor there. Either the club has a view on the flag or it doesn't.

Double standards.
ThatRoundThing

Mike the Dagger wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 pm
Definitely another view, and having travelled extensively in the US I have seen the flag on a lot of vehicles and elsewhere. You can't deny it's racist undertone though. You won't seen too many African Americans wearing or displaying it.

At this point D4E will probably pop up and point at the National Front using the Cross of St George and Union Jack, but those are people trying to confuse patriotism with something else. The Confederate flag is actually a symbol from the South's war to retain slavery in the 1850s.
Britain doesn’t come out too well when it comes to slavery as the TV programme Jamestown continued to show. Early British settlers in North America bought, sold and bartered slaves and the same could be said of the British Empire in India.
As I said earlier, it is all about double standards as I mentioned celebration of Guy Fawkes in most towns and cities, many run by local councils basically to celebrate part of our history which was nothing more than a terriost plot. At the same time we have various World Football Associations trying to ban the wearing of red poppys and it’s symbolism.

The worlds gone mad.
Mike the Dagger

dagger4eva wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 pm You underplay it if you wish by making it out to be a few fake cowboys.

The fact is, if its actually such a horrid, vile, racist flag (I actually have little or no view on whether it is or not) - then the club ought to have banned it many years ago from being put out at the club.

The fact it's a different circumstance to it being displayed at a football match is frankly neither here nor there. Either the club has a view on the flag or it doesn't.

Double standards.
It's a flag, in itself it is just a symbol. It is what that symbol is associated with that is the problem. Let's have a German night at the club and display a few swastikas.

The club had outside complaints about the flag therefore they acted. In this case I make them 100% right, it isn't a good thing to be associated with the club and its not somethuing I would want to be associated with personally either.

The NK flag at least had a bit of humour about it, this one, nah, nothing. It's mainly blue and red, that is it.
Dagger83

Mike the Dagger wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 pm The club had complaints about the Confederate flag when it was displayed and shown on TV at the home play off semi final last season. This was also picked up by the FA I believe who contacted the club about it being displayed.

The rest is history!

Isn't Guy Fawkes Night a celebration of the fact he didn't succeed rather than celebrating him?
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
admin
Site Admin

As admin please can I ask that the posts are edited to remove the images from this forum.
If you wish to demonstrate the flag, then a link to the news item is sufficient.

The club is going through a difficult period at the moment, and any random person browsing may now see certain images associated with our club and our supporters.