GOALKEEPER

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

We played two teams without out a second Goalkeeper in their match day squad last season.

If we went down that road in order to save on the budget who thinks it is an acceptable risk
Mike the Dagger

Fine to decide you don't want one on the bench on a particular day, but not having one in the squad? Asking for trouble.

Having said that a Dave Hogan type character could work.
Mark

Perfectly fine.

If we're cutting cost then it makes sense. Paying someone 500 a week to sit on the bench and play on average less than ten games is not a good way to spend the budget.

If the gk gets injured you can get a free or a loan at that point and lose half a game with an outfield player in goal. If you've got the money then a 2nd gk integrated with the squad is obviously better but we don't have the money.

Wonder who our gk will be. Not sure if we want to unload Justham due to wages or not. If you'd asked me before I'd say I don't fancy him at all, but with our budget maybe careful what I wish for!
SUSSEX DAGGER

Was thinking same lines as you Mark .
We had trouble in the past with Chris Lewinggton getting sent off/injured and got a loan in so for money purposes perhaps talking a punt may not be such a bad idea
ARNU

Considering the amount of activity any Dagenham keeper will be up against next season (mainly getting the ball from the net) Id have thought it would have been a good idea to have at least 3 on the books. :whistle:

Can i ask a serious question ?

Do we actually want to win anything ? What are we aspiring to be ? Is Just existing good enough ,really ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Alan

Come on, you support West Ham, who exist without having won a major trophy in getting on for 40 years.

Stabilise the club, then worry about winning things.
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:56 pm Considering the amount of activity any Dagenham keeper will be up against next season (mainly getting the ball from the net) Id have thought it would have been a good idea to have at least 3 on the books. :whistle:

Can i ask a serious question ?

Do we actually want to win anything ? What are we aspiring to be ? Is Just existing good enough ,really ?
As an ex Hammer, you ought to be totally familiar with the concept of just hoping to stay in the league you are in surely??

I'd hope we would give the cups a proper go for once too.
TommyD&R

Doubt Lewis Moore is on much if he’s still there. We usually have a duel reg keeper with a Ryman side too like McNamara last season and Anderson a few seasons ago
ARNU

Yes as far as West ham and me go,beating Spurs ,Chelsea ,Arsenal occasionally and finishing mid table has always been the most reasonable thing I could realisticly request of them.I genuinely enjoy it when they are bossing the championship rather than struggling in the Prem and a cup run is always nice. My fears as far as Dagenham are concerned are just that we seem to be almost accepting relegation right now,the manager is tasked with just staying up and to me that suggests a very difficult spectacle to watch.Ive laid my cards on the table,Im assuming nobody is ever going to complain when we lose,threaten to not come anymore or slate the board or the manager should things go a bit bumpy ( sadly as I expect ) My only act of treachery here is to not commit to a season of defeats,I can come and go as I please now.Hopefully we win the league and I am wrong,the club will then benefit from my full price attendance as id want to be there for that.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Richie

A fully fit Justham would be the least of our worries next season
Dr Monkatron

What’s Mark Keen up to these days? Best non keeper keeper we’ve ever had.
HGDagger

If we can keep hold of Justham then I think we could do a lot worse. If he gets injured or suspended then we could always get an emergency loan until he's ready to be in the side again. What's the point of paying a goalkeeper to sit on the bench and not get a game all season when that money could be invested into an outfield player(s) who quite frankly we desperately need at this moment.
Dagdale

Surely we should be able to get a fairly decent goalkeeper from lower down the pyramid, I've seen recently at least half a dozen keepers from the likes of the now defunct Bostik North and Evo stik Lges who not only would love to get the chance higher up the steps but from what I've seen too good to be that low, and would 'hefty' salaries be an obstacle? Did mention about patience on rebuilding our squad but is it the right thing whether were strapped for cash or not to offload so many players to an arch rival in the same league as us? Talk about backs against the wall before a balls kicked.
Adrian

We spent years doing just fine with someone that was really cheap and just there for a real emergency. Abi Baruwa and Dave Hogan were good examples.

The first time we really had two supposed first choice goalkeepers to battle for a place was Cousins and O'Brien. I don't think that really worked. It seemed to create unnecessary pressure on them and they ended up looking more scared of making errors than focused on the games.

I'd rather we saved the money and concentrated on having a more rounded outfield squad.
Last edited by Adrian on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

I agree with Adrian.

Now about that Boucaud chap.