GOALKEEPER

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Ally Fraser

Adrian wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:48 pm We spent years doing just fine with someone that was really cheap and just there for a real emergency. Abi Baruwa and Dave Hogan were good examples.

The first time we really had two supposed first choice goalkeepers to battle for a place was Cousins and O'Brien. I don't think that really worked. It seemed to create unnecessary pressure on them and they ended up looking more scared of making errors than focused on the games.

I'd rather we saved the money and concentrated on having a more rounded outfield squad.
Abi spent years on then bench, then when needed didn’t we bring in Boston’s keeper, so he left just before kick off.
Sagres

Paul Bastock (ex Boston United) played 1 game back in 2004/05
Adrian

Ally Fraser wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 pm
Adrian wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:48 pm We spent years doing just fine with someone that was really cheap and just there for a real emergency. Abi Baruwa and Dave Hogan were good examples.

The first time we really had two supposed first choice goalkeepers to battle for a place was Cousins and O'Brien. I don't think that really worked. It seemed to create unnecessary pressure on them and they ended up looking more scared of making errors than focused on the games.

I'd rather we saved the money and concentrated on having a more rounded outfield squad.
Abi spent years on then bench, then when needed didn’t we bring in Boston’s keeper, so he left just before kick off.

Bastock was brought in to play instead of
Martin Brennan, after Robbo was sent off for the second time that season.
Alex O Reilly played instead of Baruwa after the first sending off.
Baruwa was around for less than a year.
Danny Naisbitt and Paul Gothard were back up before him.
Alan

Was it Naisbit who scored in the ESC?
Lcbdagger

Happy in theory with the one keeper... but if it's Justham, he can't have proven his fitness for the season already surely
DaggerJoel11

Last year was the first in ages we've actually had a keeper injured. Therefore it seems counterproductive to go through all these money-saving exercises only to then pay a keeper to sit on a bench all season. Should stick with Justham and then if necessary get an emergency loan in should he get injured, unless it's during a game at which time an outfielder can simply go in goal. Sutton had that problem at Torquay a year or so ago and it's quite common in non-league.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''