Thommo Interview

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagger83

I thought he came across really well. You can tell the excitement and passion the guy has for the club. I'm optimistic for the future.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Granddad

As far as Im concerned Thommo has done more to save our club than anyone, so its a hearty three cheers for him from me. :thumbu:
BB-Dagger

I echo the points made above, everything looking secure for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for your hard work Mr Thompson, and let’s not forget all of those who have helped along the way weather through volunteering or donating to get us through the dark times.
ARNU

You cannot be in any doubt the passion and the deep care this man has for the club. Things are looking up.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
daggerfirst

Good interview but can't stand this luv in for Thommo. He helped get us in the mess.
Daggerman

daggerfirst wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:07 pm Good interview but can't stand this luv in for Thommo. He helped get us in the mess.
Always an easy target when your at the sharp end of things when they are going wrong, unfortunately in any business there are ups and downs, difference here is that unlike other businesses the managing director doesn’t put his own home on the line.
It’s time for a few to wind their necks in and stop believing the bullshit spread around by those who know nothing that goes on behind the scenes, I’m not suggesting he’s perfect but the club has always been his priority.
stanton101

Plenty of positives there and a good listen.
I just hope that they don't give PT any money to spend and get a manager in who can do the job, now that money will be made available. He's done an admirable job, when many would have avoided us like the plague and hats off to him. He's undoubtedly a very good coach, but as a manager he's not up to the job. I would love to see him in a coaching capacity at the club, but we need a manager. There's a big difference between coaching and managing.
lupins

Apart from the fact that bearing in mind what Peter Taylor had to deal with and work with it would be incredibly harsh to now look elsewhere I struggle to understand what you base that view on
Diggerthedog

The fact we have won a game surprises me, Taylor has worked a small miracle with the tiny budget given in what is a very greedy industry. He deserves a chance to be given a proper budget to work with. Some of these players are getting £250 per week and many would have never came had it not been for the opportunity to play under Peter. Their young and a good coach is what they need at this stage of their careers, we can all benefit from that.
stanton101

lupins wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:40 pm Apart from the fact that bearing in mind what Peter Taylor had to deal with and work with it would be incredibly harsh to now look elsewhere I struggle to understand what you base that view on
It would be even harsher for everyone concerned if we went down. The consortium thats taken over may just decide that playing in a lower league is not what they want and bail out, then what?
I think he has worked wonders given the constraints he's been under and he is a fantastic coach, of that there is no question.
But as a manager whose had more clubs than Tiger woods, I just don't think he's capable of keeping the club up. I hope I'm wrong, I really do and I'll be the first to eat a large portion of humble if I'm wrong. But good coaches don't make good managers and while he's assembled a decent side who are at least having a go, that may not be good enough come May.
I would love to see him as a coach here, but I think we'll be needing another manager at the club who can spend a budget wisely and help push the club forward with Taylor's help of course, if that's possible.
lupins

Still struggling to see what you base it on other than a sweeping good coaches don't make good Managers
Guardiola might beg to differ
Do you think someone who can recruit a new team, get them organised, exceed expectations, engage supporters is a Manager or a Coach?
Lets hope you get to eat that pie
stanton101

lupins wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 pm Still struggling to see what you base it on other than a sweeping good coaches don't make good Managers
Guardiola might beg to differ
Do you think someone who can recruit a new team, get them organised, exceed expectations, engage supporters is a Manager or a Coach?
Lets hope you get to eat that pie
Recruiting players fair enough.
Organised, 50/50 at best
Engaging supporters? Honeymoon period is still there and an element of sympathy given what's happened, that will disappear if results continue in the same vain. Given the fact that we now have money.
Exceed expectations? No not really they were never that high anyway.
And yes anyone in football knows Peter Taylor is a very good coach. But as a manager, his record is poor and he's been sacked quite a few times.
Good managers like Pep have the likes of Arteta and Brian Kidd as his coaches, he will ultimately have the last say on formations, transfers etc. It also helps of course if you can spend what you like as most of the top managers do, that's why they hand pick the top sides with the most funds available.
It's all about opinions at the end of the day.
Diggerthedog

Taylor has been sacked a few times but so has Jose Mourinho. Taylor has five promotions on his CV and has more contacts than anyone we can attract, Gillingham fans hate him but the Hull fans love him. Given he has got us to anything that resembles a team and have not been tonked once this season is simply brilliant. 2 or 3 More rubs of the green and we would be play off contenders so I say give him some of the dollars and let’s see what he can do.
stanton101

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:06 am Taylor has been sacked a few times but so has Jose Mourinho. Taylor has five promotions on his CV and has more contacts than anyone we can attract, Gillingham fans hate him but the Hull fans love him. Given he has got us to anything that resembles a team and have not been tonked once this season is simply brilliant. 2 or 3 More rubs of the green and we would be play off contenders so I say give him some of the dollars and let’s see what he can do.
All fair comments Digger. but the reason we haven't been tonked maybe is the fact that apart from a select few this league is very poor. Anyone can beat anyone.
I'm not knocking him, but I do know a few people in football who say he is without doubt a terrific coach but not a manager. I've no doubt that if we had a manager and Taylor as coach we'd piss the league next season. But the Yanks have bought in to the club for a reason and they I suspect will get tired of getting beat by the odd goal most weeks, you can't be unlucky every week. I've know doubt he knows the area very well, but so do other people.