Manager Brad Quinton has left Braintree Town by mutual agreement

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
stanton101

They're not hanging about, that's Braintree and Dover now. At least they're giving themselves a chance to change things round.
The right time to do it imo, no good doing it at Christmas when the games come thick and fast.
The new man in charge will have at least 6/7 weeks to sort things out before that period.
Diggerthedog

Not forgetting Maidstone already did it, let’s hope the same mistake does not happen again, like when they took several months to find the bullets to put Burnett out of his misery.
Auntie Merge

stanton101 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:27 pm They're not hanging about, that's Braintree and Dover now. At least they're giving themselves a chance to change things round.
The right time to do it imo, no good doing it at Christmas when the games come thick and fast.
The new man in charge will have at least 6/7 weeks to sort things out before that period.
Yep. Remember how we thought Burnett would be gone by the FA Cup game? But it was always one more game, one more game.

Taylor needs to be gone before the FA Cup game on the 20th October imo. Any later is suicidal.
Alan

Out of interest, who would those wanting Taylor out bring in and how would that person make the current squad better players?

Football teams generally finish in a position that’s dictated by their playing budget. Our squad was extremely cheap - and look it. It was a squad assembled when we had no budget. We’ve got loan players who we are paying nothing for. They’ve all got a catastrophic error in then and none seem to have a moment of brilliance about them. So the question for me is whether the new owners are putting in enough money to improve the playing squad. If they are not, I don’t see any way out whoever the manager is.
Diggerthedog

I hear a lot about budgets on here, anyone know how much it is? I would guess at least £500k given the turnover and most of the high earners have now gone. It’s £25-£30k per head on a decent sized 18 man squad. Taylor was quoted saying some kids are on £250 per week so you could get some decent players if you’re saving in those areas.
Alan

Don’t know what the budget is, but compare your hypothetical figure of £0.5m to, say, Ebbsfleet’s £1.6m last year and £1.8m the year before. Or perhaps to FGR’s 2.1m in the 2 years before they went up.
Voice of reason

Alan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:38 pm Out of interest, who would those wanting Taylor out bring in and how would that person make the current squad better players?

Football teams generally finish in a position that’s dictated by their playing budget. Our squad was extremely cheap - and look it. It was a squad assembled when we had no budget. We’ve got loan players who we are paying nothing for. They’ve all got a catastrophic error in then and none seem to have a moment of brilliance about them. So the question for me is whether the new owners are putting in enough money to improve the playing squad. If they are not, I don’t see any way out whoever the manager is.
You've hit the nail on the head Alan
Thommo has said himself that the difference between players at the top level and ours is consistency
Most of our guys have had a chance elsewhere and not taken it
ARNU

Maybe someone could make some flags.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
NickMurphy

I think all supporters have every sympathy with Taylor given the hand he was dealt in terms of recruitment in the summer.

But that doesn't excuse making baffling decisions like switching to three at the back last week and breaking up the centre-half partnership that was working so well between Goodliffe and Pennell, for example.

I'm not saying that's grounds to sack him. But I imagine some peoples' gripes come from the way he's choosing to set-up and start the team, rather than who he's been able to bring in.
Mark

I wouldn't be rushing to sack him but the last two team selections have been diabolical imo.
stanton101

Mark wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm I wouldn't be rushing to sack him but the last two team selections have been diabolical imo.
Just out of curiosity Mark, how long would you give him. Bearing in mind we have high flying Wrexham up next then the cup and then equally high flying Harrogate. Both league games of which most of us wouldn't be holding out to get anything from.
Dover I'll be a six pointer, but for me it's the few sides above us that we need to reel in.
As much as I think Taylor is a decent bloke I'd get shot before the cup match and give the new manager a chance to see what's what. I'd write off the two league games, but obviously if we get anything it's a big big bonus.
What would you do?
davei

So let me understand this. John Still (the best manager this team has ever had) in the eyes of many left Wayne Burnette with a pile of shit team; Wayne Burnette after he was gone, left John Still with a pile of shit team in return, and as well, JS discovered he had little or no money.

John Still leaves, as does half of the pile of (his) shit team many on this forum accused him of building and Peter Taylor inherits an absolute pile of, well nothingness, not even a shit team, and as well, has no money, actually a minus amount of money and is expected to build a contender for the playoffs, or at the least mid-table.

Given the reputation and bad press this team had at the end of last season, the crap that went on and has gone on for the past 2 years if not more whether it be from on the field fiasco's, a financial perspective (more fiasco's) and other internal ****** ups, it is any wonder Peter Taylor found 11 guys even willing to don a Dagenham & Redbridge shirt. I bet guys playing at Parsloes Park would have declined an offer.

I know there are some who will be critical of Taylor's on field decisions, but anyone who thought we would really be elsewhere in the standings given ALL that has gone on at Victoria Road in recent years was delusional to think we would not be grinding it out for every game of the season and losing most of them.

No matter who you would have brought in, anyone being handed this overall situation of a total ******-up, under no circumstances could have changed a sow's ear in to anything like a silk purse, more like a plastic bag. This overall TOTAL re-build is a 3-5 year job, with perhaps another relegation to happen before we are done, leave the guy alone to figure it out.

Oh, and suggestions for a replacement, perhaps some of the guys who have already been let go so far this season, I think not. Any right minded individual currently not out of work, would never apply for this job, and those out of work, well, just ask why they are out of work...……………...
Mark

stanton101 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 pm
Mark wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm I wouldn't be rushing to sack him but the last two team selections have been diabolical imo.
Just out of curiosity Mark, how long would you give him.
I struggle to think of anyone who could keep this squad in the division and we're exactly where I thought we'd be. I can't criticise him for assembling them either as it was done on a shoestring.

The question comes if there is money and if we trust Taylor to use it correctly. Time will tell I guess. I do think Munns and Bellamy will help once they are ready to start.

If we don't get a win this month I think you have to look at it but I don't see what it will achieve without a financed squad surgery. We need about 4 good conference players.
Auntie Merge

Alan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:38 pm Out of interest, who would those wanting Taylor out bring in and how would that person make the current squad better players?

When John Still took over from Wayne Burnett we’d probably had stayed up had he taken over 3-4 weeks earlier. I don’t recall Stilly going on a spending spree but with better tactics and playing players in position, and also in control of discipline, he got results.

That’s the difference between a manager and a coach. I like Peter Taylor a lot; I think he is good for our club, but not as a manager.