NOTES FROM THE FANS FORUM 11 JANUARY 2019

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am Is it really still that big a part of football culture? If you’re happy spending 4-5 quid on a pint why not just go in the tbs for a few quid more and drink in that bar. I’m not saying don’t have a bar but I’d be surprised if that many people really need one.
I'd agree with that. Given most games you could leave the clubhouse at five to three and be back in there again at five to five if you need beer, is it really that big an issue?

In bigger stadiums where you need to be in earlier then I agree a bar is necessary, but at Victoria Road... Drink tea at half time!
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Americans are great, aren't they ? They could sell ice to the eskimos.

I had a good time - I saw two businessmen who appear to have fallen in love with the lower reaches of the English game. Two people with a passion for sport and a passion for improving things. And two people with their heads screwed on, who aren't prone to making rash decisions and throwing money about. They appeared knowledgeable, excited, committed and open to ideas and it was good to see. I think generally they are on the same page as the fans re ground improvements and moving up the leagues, they didn't come across at all as out-of-touch or elitist or overambitious, so that was good. The fact that they have experience with sports teams I think is a big positive - whilst it's a totally different environment in America I am sure that they will find similarities and it makes us seem much less of a millionaire's plaything - for example, that feller down at Billericay. I am sure that they will find direct comparisons between what they did in Memphis and in Pennsylvannia with what they're doing with us - not least one thing that was mentioned last night, which was getting the ethnic minority population coming to games. I appreciated Craig admitting that was hard, and that was something that needed looking at.

Now, on to Tim.
Auntie Merge wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 pm
Q - It seems at this level no one is really on a real long term contract or is a loan. How do you approach that as owners. Do you really think you should start looking at longer term contracts in order to build a team?

TH - I share the frustration and so does Peter Taylor. Football only works if you are trying to get better as a squad every single moment. You can rest assured that every single opportunity we have the option to sign a player we will do so. If we can’t get the player we want we will look for someone else.
I asked this question, as I said it's been a frustrating and turbulent week of potential departures and short-term extensions - and sadly it's something that we have come to be used to since we came down the conference, and it's been annoying me lately the constant uncertainty and upheval around the squad. What I took from Tim's answer (in which he, all 100 caps and mates with Barack Obama, looked me directly in the eye for about 2 minutes), is that we are going to stick with horses-for-courses style approach, which I imagine they know about from American sports, but if I (and the rest of the supporters) have confidence in the manager and owners with regards to player recruitment then that's fine.

(Then I had my picture taken afterwards with him like the 10-year-old boy that I am lol)

Shook hands with all three afterwards, fair play to them for coming out after landing this morning and having meetings all day. Looks like they're in touch with the supporters and want what's best for the club, and seem to want to do that in a responsible and measured way that keeps the current fans happy while trying to draw new ones in. Looking good !
Lcbdagger

Top work Arnu sneaking the roof question in :clap:
ARNU

No problem with a bar but surely you can get one or five before the game and wait an hour and a half then go up the pub. It’s not that necessary is it ?
Last edited by ARNU on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
AVincelotFlyingLeap

The number of knowing looks from Forumites after the roof question was quite large I must say
ARNU

Lcbdagger wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm Top work Arnu sneaking the roof question in :clap:
I wasn’t there. But I’m glad someone asked.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
RampantDuke

The Americans are all about social media and communication. It's re-assuring to hear directly that they are worried about us not having a decent striker to replace Wilko. I wonder how things would have been last season if there had been this kind of friendly open dialogue and honesty between the board and the fans instead of the mystery, intrigue and falsehoods that made the atmosphere so toxic for most of 2018? Anyway I digress - although I am gutted that we lost yesterday the owners will have seen Kandi and Mullings play so hopefully will be fully aware of the crisis we face up top.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Chigwellian

Granddad wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 pm Probably won't get much sleep tonight because Im still buzzing. How lucky we are to have such brilliant owners.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if our owners read this forum and if not can a direct line to them be set up so if any of us come up with money-saving or making ideas they will see them?
I actually tweeted Craig Unger about the catering a couple of weeks ago, and within a couple of hours, I had a reply (I had emailed ST first, but he didn't reply)
Auntie Merge

Peter Freund commented on Twitter
https://twitter.com/sportsholdings/stat ... 19232?s=21

Thanks for taking the time to post a transcript from the evening and thank you to all the @Dag_RedFC supporters for your comments on them...who knew BBQ Nachos would be such a popular answer in the UK? 😂

I created a poll...
http://viewsfromthesieve.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3724
EssexDagger!

Another good article about our new owners in The Times,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why- ... 218a6b5eb0
rebeldagger

I really enjoyed the forum and was able to bring down a few friends of mine along, all whom would be keen to return to Victoria Road in the near future, and they won't be the only ones, so on that front it's a win.

I was pleased to see how down to earth they are and how keen they seem to be in Dagenham & Redbridge. Their plans mirror what we've all be saying on here for years, and now finally we have the budget and the experience to put this into practice.
CheathDagger

Thanks for the transcript.

Really like the sound of the new owners, their enthusiasm and vision for the future of the daggers.

Couple of things, I've been coming here for more than a decade and it has always astounded me and my friends when they join me that you cant get a beer in the home end/sieve/bury road. There is PLENTY of room for a bar/kiosk out of sight of the pitch (which is obviously a stipulation), behind the bury road scoreboard, behind the sieve, where the current toilet block is in the corner, lots of space. And it would make money for the club. They have got to understand having a drink with your mates at the football is a huge incentive to come for a lot of people. A simple facility under cover with a bar and sky sports on TV would improve the terrace no end. Look at Bromley away or Maidstone, to be able to nip out of sight of the pitch and grab a beer and some food is easy and should be provided as far as im concerned. Id even suggest a bookies as well purely for the daggers game, you cant lose money, they never do!

And as for the Bury Road roof, I really don't think a slight hit to the capacity (6000 haha) is an excuse not to do it.
dagger4eva

With regards a home supporter bar (in the ground) as mentioned I don't believe for a second it will be difficult to tarmac or concrete over the space behind the Bury Road goal. Knock a serving window through the old SC shop and serve drinks through there. Wouldn't be hard to stick a steward or 2 at the end to ensure no-one 'escapes' from the area with a drink.

In the winter can install a canopy and/or a few heaters. Job done, no?
rebeldagger

It was also good to hear that there'll be more merchandise on the way too, and I may be wrong here, yet did any one see that when Peter held up his phone to take a photo of the room, he appeared to have a very sleek looking Dagenham & Redbridge black case on his phone with the old redesigned crest? Did I see this correctly?
mikew

the owners are super fan responsive -very active on twitter - and anytime i have had an idea - they never poo poo it -and you will get a reply. I think they are very very keen to engage with fans all the way through the process ( .I said the new build homes all the way down the A13 with our council links surely a welcome pack or leaflet could be dropped through the mat along with the council tax bill. ( lol.) but something like that - we need fans of the future sp marketing for new builds- or the schools etc with player visit once in a while- and broader marketing on twitter.