Havant & Waterlooville

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mark

Surely you expect us to at least make a game of it and to put a relatively strong team out?
Mike the Dagger

Mark wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:27 pm Surely you expect us to at least make a game of it and to put a relatively strong team out?
The only changes from Saturday were Kandi (who scored as a sub v Bromley, 2 goals in 2 games) for Wilko (who we discovered was injured), Harfield for Munns, and Robinson for Loft.

The only real question there is why Harfield for Munns, and as Alan observed, Jack has rarely made it through 90 minutes and was blowing out of his arse by the end on Saturday.

I know Wright has his critics (I'm one of them) but he probably had his best game for us that I have seen against Bromley.

How is that not "a relatively strong team"?
lupins

Mike the Dagger wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 am I appreciate it was another Stilly cliche, but it is probably time to wheel out his "never too high, never too low" quote here.

Saturday we won 3-0 at home, and suddenly we are worldbeaters. Last night we lose 3-0 away and today the B&D Post headline is "Daggers endure disastrous defeat at Havant". Disappointing, definitely, but "disastrous"? Really??

We have come from nothing this season, certain to go down, and are now a win or two away from safety. We have a few quality players, and a few that are making up the numbers. When Wilko or Balanta aren't playing we look a totally different side to when they both are.

So, deep breath everyone, calm down. It was only a football match, and its dragged Barnet deeper into the mire as mentioned above.
As above

Undoubtedly a poor display after such a good one but I imagine the team prepared fully and properly. Sometimes in sport this happens. The season we drew at Charlton they had won their previous home game 3-0 against Arsenal.

And as for disastrous as per The Post that's just one more drama headline in a few this season they have cobbled together
Alan

The Post does seem to revel in any bad performance.
Mark

There was an 'and'.

The handful of changes made us markedly more defensive but ok let's ignore that.

We went to one of the worst sides around and lost by 3 having barely laid a glove on them. This is woeful by any interpretation.
Mike the Dagger

Mark wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:27 am There was an 'and'.

The handful of changes made us markedly more defensive but ok let's ignore that.

We went to one of the worst sides around and lost by 3 having barely laid a glove on them. This is woeful by any interpretation.
Yes, it was a disappointing result, no one is arguing that. However it was three changes not a handful, and one was due to an injury.

Also Havant have a decent home record if you look closer. Only Bromley oddly enough have spanked then at home, and they have scored a lot of goals.

This is a massive over reaction to a result, similar to the "Dreadfull" (sic) thread on the draw away at Harrogate, a team currently in the play off places and "Gutless" thread on the home defeat by Gateshead, a team one place outside the playoffs and a game we had more than enough chances to win but didn't take them.

Our team is inconsistent, has little strength in depth, yet is firmly mid table after being in deep shit after the first three months of the season. I don't really get all the angst TBH.
Diggerthedog

Mike the Dagger wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:10 am
Mark wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:27 am There was an 'and'.

Yes, it was a disappointing result, no one is arguing that. However it was three changes not a handful, and one was due to an injury.

Also Havant have a decent home record if you look closer. Only Bromley oddly enough have spanked then at home, and they have scored a lot of goals.

This is a massive over reaction to a result, similar to the "Dreadfull" (sic) thread on the draw away at Harrogate, a team currently in the play off places and "Gutless" thread on the home defeat by Gateshead, a team one place outside the playoffs and a game we had more than enough chances to win but didn't take them.

Our team is inconsistent, has little strength in depth, yet is firmly mid table after being in deep shit after the first three months of the season. I don't really get all the angst TBH.
Comes from the manager completely bottling the last two away games against two crap opposition side no matter how you dress them up. Wish everyone would stop harping back the the start of the season, things have changed and those terms no longer apply. There was praise for the performance on Saturday so cant have it both ways.

If the Americans have ambition they will look elsewhere as I saw nothing from the early season performances that would warrant a new deal, we can all spend a bit of money to put a half decent team together.
NBDag

Can understand being happy with how the club is performing right now given our position in August. In the grand scheme of things, I’m happy too. Rather have a team playing crap in mid-table than no team at all.

But there is a lot of talk on here about pushing for promotion/the title next year. I think it’d take wholesale changes on and off the pitch to achieve that, but I think it’s fair to say it’s currently the club’s expectation.

Which is why I’m annoyed at Tuesday’s performance. If our target next year is to go up then I feel like we should be showing that we’re on our way to being good enough now. We showed that on Saturday but then turned into the complete opposite against worse opposition, and the two previous matches to Bromley sound like we were again worlds away. Which in my book speaks louder. Irrespective of injuries/substitutions/whatever we need to show some consistency now. If we don’t then how can we be sure that Taylor will get it out of us next year when it will be needed every week?
Mark

NBDag wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:34 pm Can understand being happy with how the club is performing right now given our position in August. In the grand scheme of things, I’m happy too. Rather have a team playing crap in mid-table than no team at all.

But there is a lot of talk on here about pushing for promotion/the title next year. I think it’d take wholesale changes on and off the pitch to achieve that, but I think it’s fair to say it’s currently the club’s expectation.

Which is why I’m annoyed at Tuesday’s performance. If our target next year is to go up then I feel like we should be showing that we’re on our way to being good enough now. We showed that on Saturday but then turned into the complete opposite against worse opposition, and the two previous matches to Bromley sound like we were again worlds away. Which in my book speaks louder. Irrespective of injuries/substitutions/whatever we need to show some consistency now. If we don’t then how can we be sure that Taylor will get it out of us next year when it will be needed every week?
Yep
Chigwellian

Exactly NBDag... it's no good just defending for 90mins, and hope to get a breakaway goal, because only the inevitable will happen. It's bloody horrible to watch !