Joe Quigley

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mark

You cannot replace Wilko. He's big strong quick skilful and scores goals. Nobody else in the whole division last season fit that bill.

We obviously needed a big man, whether he starts every week or not. The goals have to come from wide and midfield which is why we've added Brundle, Luque and Dobson.

I'd love an extra poacher but this signing is useful. Harold is dreadful but he's got a medal round his neck.
SUSSEX DAGGER

This one really is a punt ,Peter Taylor obviously thinks can come off.Two year deal says that to me, then.again he could be as cheap as chips

Dont like judging potential.goalscorers on past records as they are dependent on the service even tho I respect lee,s opinion.

looks a big lad who could be useful in game management when trying to defend a result either holding the ball up or height defending set pieces in our own box. Lets face it we have never been the best at keeping needless corners and free kicks to a minimum for sometime now.

Lets hope it works out and we should give the lad a chance. That said I am a tad disappointed we did not use the money generated by the sale of Wilkinson in getting a proven goalscorer in if only for,a year.
Alan

The money generated by Wilkinson? The release clause was to repay us his summer wages.
LondonDagger

I think a lot of you need to wake up and see that the team we have here is a bottom half team. Hardly any of these players are good enough and comparing Quigley to Wilkinson is a joke. Wilko had a bad attitude and wasn't wanted at Gillingham, however he had and could score goals. Quigley has been down here for a while and was released by Bromley.

Have a look around the table, teams like Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County, York will be up here in a few years. These teams will be fighting for promotions and Taylor just hasn't done enough in this market. He has signed some poor players which are no better than what we have released.
HGDagger

LondonDagger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm I think a lot of you need to wake up and see that the team we have here is a bottom half team. Hardly any of these players are good enough and comparing Quigley to Wilkinson is a joke. Wilko had a bad attitude and wasn't wanted at Gillingham, however he had and could score goals. Quigley has been down here for a while and was released by Bromley.

Have a look around the table, teams like Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County, York will be up here in a few years. These teams will be fighting for promotions and Taylor just hasn't done enough in this market. He has signed some poor players which are no better than what we have released.
I agree this season will be the most competitive league season since we've been down and we'll be lucky to stay up, however it is still early days, and you just don't know how the team will turn out.
len

I think it is ridiculous to write the team off before the season has started. A friend of mine is a gills season ticket holder who told me when we signed Wilkinson that he had been given every chance their but was useless, well how wrong was he, as well of plenty of others. Give the team a chance at least.
BB-Dagger

I agree this season will be the most competitive league season since we've been down and we'll be lucky to stay up, however it is still early days, and you just don't know how the team will turn out.
[/quote]

Tough league yes, lucky to stay up!! Are you for real? Think of the dross we started with last season, this coming season we have a more experienced line up and although I don’t expect to win the league I certainly don’t think we will be in any trouble.
We have a totally different approach this year with a bit of financial backing and I will be a bit pissed off if we aren’t around the playoffs or there about next April, but if we aren’t I would expect to have another manager in by then anyway.
lupins

HGDagger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 pm
LondonDagger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm I think a lot of you need to wake up and see that the team we have here is a bottom half team. Hardly any of these players are good enough and comparing Quigley to Wilkinson is a joke. Wilko had a bad attitude and wasn't wanted at Gillingham, however he had and could score goals. Quigley has been down here for a while and was released by Bromley.

Two of the more ridiculous pre season forecasts and based on what exactly
SUSSEX DAGGER

Alan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:33 pm The money generated by Wilkinson? The release clause was to repay us his summer wages.
So a year on and we are still using money from the sale of players to pay debts. The statement was that we did not want to sell him and wanted him to stay. So I find it hard to swallow that if we were prepared to pay him his wage demands then the money was already there to pay for a quality proven replacement .All I am saying is the money raised could have been used to subsides quality replacements wages if only for,a year. If you are now saying that the statement made by the owners were nothing more then crocadile tears then it was a misleading statement and it dont bode well for the future. Sorry but you cant have it both ways
BB-Dagger

The way I understand it when Wilkinson agreed to sign for us in January he insisted on a release clause if a league club wanted him, the release fee basically covered his wages while with us, this in effect enabled his agent to hawk him around and gave us little choice when oricunt approached him. Don’t think our management could do anything about it. I’m not suggesting I’m 100% right on this but it’s basically correct.
leewilson

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 pm
Dont like judging potential.goalscorers on past records as they are dependent on the service even tho I respect lee,s opinion.
Appreciate that. I find this a tough one to get behind though. Going into the summer, there were a few forwards I feared us signing if Wilko went and Quigley was one of them (Cassidy and Bird were the others). I've seen him play a fair few times now and every time I've seen him, he's rarely troubled the defence. I trust other supporters in this division. If fans of Boreham Wood, Wrexham, Maidstone and Bromley are all saying he's pants, then I don't doubt that he was.

Here's a few more views on Quigley: https://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/inde ... ley&o=date

If he ends up being useful, then I'll eat humble pie. But I very rarely write off a player before they've joined us. I didn't write off Wilkinson before signing even though I was a little unsure because I'd never seen him play. Unfortunately, on this occasion, I know we're getting a donkey.
Diggerthedog

Just scored 3 minutes into his debut.
SUSSEX DAGGER

BB-Dagger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:16 pm The way I understand it when Wilkinson agreed to sign for us in January he insisted on a release clause if a league club wanted him, the release fee basically covered his wages while with us, this in effect enabled his agent to hawk him around and gave us little choice when oricunt approached him. Don’t think our management could do anything about it. I’m not suggesting I’m 100% right on this but it’s basically correct.
You are corrrect but the issue about what caused him to leave are not in question.

When we signed him in January we did so as we have been told on league one wages. One would assume league one wages would be around 2k a week.

We wanted him to stay allegedly,so we had in.our budget 52x 2k = 104k . We sold him for 40k, again allegedly. O
In reality we now have 144k to fund a replacement.

If you take the 40k away which we would never had if he stayed as Alan suggest to pay his wages then that still leaves a lot of money which we were committed to .

Firstly you have to accept that we wanted to keep him, if you accept that spin then there must be at least 104k in the budget for next year to fund a replacement, that money.was already committed by the terms of his contract signed last January.

Therefore you have to be a bit disappointed with what we ended up with . Its no disrespect to those we have signed but they are not whatt you would call proven are they?

If it was the case as Alan suggest that the money paid by Orient went to pay his,wages for his extended stay then it is nothing more then complete codswallop by People saying in authority it was always our intention to keep him.

All I ask for is honesty ,if we could not afford to keep.him I would accept it but to pretend otherwise and with their actions since makes it sound like the statement made on the day of his transfer to be nothing more then.spin.

Please remember we were trying sell season tickets at the time and perhaps a lot of what was said and promised were affected by that fact
Last edited by SUSSEX DAGGER on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark

Agree Sussex. Said all along that this was all spin and they've known since day 1 he'd leave this summer.
SUSSEX DAGGER

I have no issue with that Mark.

It is the bollocks that came with it that I object to. Because with the choice of replacements it sounds to me it was an economic reality.

The two that have come in I would think would cost only a bit more then what we have let go . If that is the reality of the situation and the full extent of the.investment promised then so be it .

If you are going to try to spin then I would suggest our board need a better memory then what they appear to have.