Altrincham Match First Game for Fans

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DaggerJoel11

That wasn't worth waiting over nine months for. As good as it was to be back inside Victoria Road, the novelty has swiftly worn off after that display. Really flat, insipid and one-dimensional.

Altrincham were a well-drilled, organised outfit who thoroughly deserved the three points, but it's another part-time team we've ultimately been defeated by. We had a couple of decent 5/10 minute spells but largely played into their hands completely.

The booing at the final whistle showed the discontent of the fanbase. I don't see much to indicate things are going to get any better, especially with a trip to leaders Torquay now on the horizon.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
BarkingRambo

I’m happy with the defence after that game. The goal was probably their only serious attack of the game.

Forward wise....umm...where are the shots. McQueen worked himself into some decent positions in first half. Took a touch too many trying to run round the keeper maybe. Then we decided to make the game all about the crosses and never abandoned it when it was clear none of them could actually connect with one. Needing a plan B is one thing but that plan B feels as simple as just shoot at the bloody goal and see what happens.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Got up and thought no I cant be bothered and paid for the stream. Waste of time and money , by halftime the picture froze and I could not even be bothered to re set it .
5 home league games and only two goals and the bloke who scored them cant get a start ffs.

Because we cant score we have only a goalkeeper to thank that we are not bottom of the league, even he has not been without fault, but where would we be without him.

But it's more then this team and this Manager , the Club has completely lost it's way. Not missed many in the past couple of seasons one way or another and I am having trouble trying to recall the last time I even got remotely excited by what I am watching.

You live in hope that it is the Manager and the Players simply cant do it for him because otherwise we have lumbered ourselves with a bunch that simply do not look good enough ,barring the odd exception.

We go to Torquey on Tuesday and have to without one of the very few players who has looked anything
this season Rance, but even there disciplinary issues are becoming a problem, he must have been booked every game he has played this season.

The whole thing gets less enjoyable by the game and how ever much you try can you honestly see it getting any better with the team we have assembled.
hockley dagger

I watched the stream. Pretty uninspiring stuff. A draw wouldn't have been an unfair result but we didn' t really test their keeper. My wife's cousin went, enjoyed having a chat with his pals and was totally underwhelmed by the performance and won't be hurrying back. I guess the potential move of the borough to tier 3 will put attending to bed. A shame for those who have worked hard to get the ground covid secure. I hope the owners don't lose interest like many fans seem to be.
Mark

We're terrible. We've beaten 3 teams, 2 of those are terrible and 1 of them we could've easily got beat. We have lost to Aldershot who are again calling for their manager's head tonight, probably second best against Yeovil who are bottom, lost to Barnet who are likely going down.

We've tried 4 different systems this season with a host of players and it's still rubbish. All these players and we still have no good wingers except Weston, no good full backs, and nobody in midfield who can actually influence the game other than Abu who, let's face it, is playing well below his level and was a panic signing after the squad was already assembled.

The game plan is non existent, we just lump it straight or pass it sideways slowly.
HGDagger

I expect the next attendance to half after that performance :boss:
Diggerthedog

Mark wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:15 am We're terrible. We've beaten 3 teams, 2 of those are terrible and 1 of them we could've easily got beat. We have lost to Aldershot who are again calling for their manager's head tonight, probably second best against Yeovil who are bottom, lost to Barnet who are likely going down.

We've tried 4 different systems this season with a host of players and it's still rubbish. All these players and we still have no good wingers except Weston, no good full backs, and nobody in midfield who can actually influence the game other than Abu who, let's face it, is playing well below his level and was a panic signing after the squad was already assembled.

The game plan is non existent, we just lump it straight or pass it sideways slowly.
Exactly this and the points we have got have been fortunate as pointed out by Sussex. How much worse can it get, at least Taylor had a game plan that sometimes worked but it was awful to watch this one has no game plan and it’s awful to watch.

How many times we had a free kick around half way play it side ways to a full back then back to Croll and Clark who punted it aimlessly long, thrilling stuff. We also had a throw in by their corner flag toward the end and the ball end up back with Justham, pathetic that a Full time team does not have the intelligence to outwit a part time outfit.

I honestly think we we have enough in McCallum to stay up but that was not end goal here, one step forward and two steps back and It’s just not getting any better is it so why wait to get rid of him just do it immediately yes it’s more money but do we want him wasting more on players just for the same end product?
ThatRoundThing

First time ever in all my 12 years of going to Dagenham & Redbridge that I didn’t spend any money. No programmes, drinks at the bar ,50/50, golden goals. I took my own hot flask, I didn’t want to chance any possible cross infection at in house catering outlet.
Other than usual Dagenham crap football and having to use my phone torch to illuminate the gents, it was good to do something different for at least one Saturday.
DI Mike Dashwood

As others have said, the matchday experience and organisation worked very well. Easy to get in, lots of stewards, no issues at all. Bit frustrating there are a few selfish people about with regards to standing spots in the sieve. We arrived at 2.20pm to make sure we got a decent spot in plenty of space, whereas others turned up at 2.55pm and wanted to stand right next to us. Small gripe though, and after 9 months of witnessing half the population act in a selfish way its not really any surprise!!!

Was nice to chat, from 2 yards, to a lot of people I haven't seen since that miserable Tuesday night in March, and until about 3.35pm it was an enjoyable and positive afternoon. The less said about the remainder of the afternoon the better I would say.
rebeldagger

I went, along with two friends, and safe to say it was good to see them, yet half way through the second half I asked myself why wasn't I at home, in front of the fire and warming my toes on the new carpet we had fitted this week.

That performance was dire, not one player really stood out for me being honest, and again I'm left questioning the team selection as there is some noticeable absentees, unless I have missed something?

Yet I do trust the manager, what other choice do I have? There must be some reason as to why Robinson hasn't kicked a ball in ages, or has his music career taken his eye off the ball, so to speak.

Where is Eleftheriou? I appreciated his work rate and feel he has possibly more to offer the what I saw yesterday.

There was just no plan, as has been said earlier this is not McMahon's style. What's happened ?

PS
The atmosphere from the kick off to when we conceded was good, reminded of why I first fell in love with coming to Dagenham, more of that please.
Diggerthedog

Robinson had Covid and his partner has given birth also, Eleferiou had to isolate or had Covid it’s not quite clear with which, both started back in training this week.
rebeldagger

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:42 pm Robinson had Covid and his partner has given birth also, Eleferiou had to isolate or had Covid it’s not quite clear with which, both started back in training this week.
Thank you, didn't realise that, best of luck to them both and in particular Robinson with the birth of his child.
Mark

Robinson was complaining he couldn't visit the delivery room, probably a good job he didn't if he's then tested positive!
Daggerman

Mark wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:36 pm Robinson was complaining he couldn't visit the delivery room, probably a good job he didn't if he's then tested positive!
Consider himself lucky, I’ve had to be a the birth of 3 and believe me it ain’t a spectator sport! Best to stay away from the doing end and concentrate on the abuse from the gobby end!!
SUSSEX DAGGER

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:35 am
Mark wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:15 am We're terrible. We've beaten 3 teams, 2 of those are terrible and 1 of them we could've easily got beat. We have lost to Aldershot who are again calling for their manager's head tonight, probably second best against Yeovil who are bottom, lost to Barnet who are likely going down.

Exactly this and the points we have got have been fortunate as pointed out by Sussex. How much worse can it get, at least Taylor had a game plan that sometimes worked but it was awful to watch this one has no game plan and it’s awful to watch.

How many times we had a free kick around half way play it side ways to a full back then back to Croll and Clark who punted it aimlessly long, thrilling stuff. We also had a throw in by their corner flag toward the end and the ball end up back with Justham, pathetic that a Full time team does not have the intelligence to outwit a part time outfit.

I honestly think we we have enough in McCallum to stay up but that was not end goal here, one step forward and two steps back and It’s just not getting any better is it so why wait to get rid of him just do it immediately yes it’s more money but do we want him wasting more on players just for the same end product?
Any team that averages a goal every 225 minutes at home is going down Digger, but I admire your spirit and faith.

That stat alone proves that if it was not for the goalkeeper we would be bottom without a home point all season.

Football is a simple game as one genius once said.

I will add to that if you dont score goals you dont win football matches ,if you dont win football matches you dont get points and if you dont get points you get relegated. Really is that simple,my

Son tells me who watched it that as somebody already commented late on in the game yesterday we had a throw ten yards from their corner flag two touches later it is in our Keepers hands, just think about that for a minute 1 nil down at home against a bunch of part timers and that is our thinking.