Maybe, give him until the end of the season
2%
No, he is doing a fantastic job
7%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 41
DevonDagger

The whole thing is quite puzzling really.

There are not many who can sit here and say "I told you so" about McMahon's performance this season, if you are one of those who lies the blame at his door entirely. There were very few negative views posted on any platform and most had him down as a top 3 target, if not first choice. I don't think we can say the club hasn't learned from its lessons, the majority were asking for a young, fresh-faced up-and-coming manager namely McMahon, Strevens, Garrard or Currie instead of the older generation like your Stills, Taylors or Hills of the game. We got what we asked for. I agree with age being no bearing - it's always a cycle of replacing old with new, then wanting experience when that goes wrong, then back to 'someone young and fresh' when that goes wrong. Like any player, If you're good enough, you're old/young enough.

After a good start, Daryl seeming finding a new level in the very medicore squad, of course you'd expect more this season and to be frank - I personally have a feeling Daryl might've signed the wrong players more so than having suddenly turned into a bad manager *tactically* overnight. He's relied heavily on players he's not only managed before, but also played with. Don't get me wrong - the buck stops with him on that too, this isn't a Premier League club where a Director of Football signs who he wants and the Coach has to somehow make it work.

I was watching the highlights of us beating Notts County 2-0 during the Kings Lynn stream - we had so much pace and energy in the team with Kandi and Reed up front, the pitch looked twice as long and wide because I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen one of our players in so much space to run at a defence so often. Where is the pace and power in our team now? Weston? Possibly, not getting any younger though. Possibly Gordon, Eletheriou and a couple others can be quick but after that I'm struggling. We seem very pedestrian and to say we play a patient game is putting it mildly. We often appear to lack creativity, but if the game is played at walking speed then there's little hope of the creative players we have being able to pick a pass. Look at our recent goals against Kings Lynn, a bundled in set piece, a fluke and a corner. They all count but as I've been banging on about on Twitter all season - we seriously lack goals and it makes the defense look worse than it is.
Diggerthedog

I see the new Stockport owners have a vision and despite being in a great league position have sacked their same old Manager and have really gone for it with the coaching team they now have in place, obviously it may fail but they have a vision. like a previous post like us have gone for someone they already knew and is local. We need this type of future, rip up the historical copy books of the club and take a new path.

Garrard was my top choice, sets his teams up brilliant and churns out tons of players that are sold on for money 10 times what they signed them for. Has had many sides decent sides and has had to rebuild at BW yet they are always nearer the top never struggling at the bottom. McMahons track record is pretty much the same at this level but spending a hell of a lot more in the long run, how are Ebbsfleet doing these days.

Sack McMahon now and go and get Garrard ASAP. Enough time to save the season, if it continues.
ThatRoundThing

If for whatever reason we were unable to get Luke Garrard to the club I would go for my original choice at the time of McMahon signing.
AFC Hornchurch have the pairing of Mark Stimson and Tony Gay who have guided the club to 8th in their League. They have been together for what seems a lifetime, I first noticed them for their time at the now disbanded Thurrock FC but his managerial career includes Grays Athletic, Stevenage, Kettering, Barnet and Gillingham. He was of course a former coach at Dagenham for a short while.
He knows the Non League scene and players inside out and nurtured George Saunders up until the time we signed him. He even has managed to get Chris Dickson to score a few goals at Hornchurch.He would obviously be experienced with working with low budgets and like Stilly, should still find the non league “nuggets “
Diggerthedog

No thanks on Stimpson, there is a reason he use to manage at this level but no longer does. Dickson is scoring goals now as he too has found his level.

We need to invest in an academy or at least a youth system, we have zero nothing zilch and for a club of our level it’s embarrassing. Having to enter the local college team into the FA Youth Cup each year to end up being hammered is well simply a shambles. Even if you don’t create one attach yourself to one, my sons side in South East London is prime example of what can be done two or 3 teams at each age group all the way from under 7’s to under 18’s all run by volunteers. Reminds me of a story, a big supporter of ours who had badges applied to be a coach for one of our younger youth teams and got it only for someone to change their minds as he had been spotted at a no to Tamplin protest. Same old.
themightydagger

I dont think it will be long until we are looking for a manager. I think that Cowleys are out of the question. They were at Huddersfield, so cant see them dropping, but money talks. Be good to get some fresh air in the club. Clear the board and stop the whole friend group and get colleagues in there who know about football. The fans dictated the signing of McMahon IMO.
Mark

I've said on here before that I'm not a massive Garrard fan, so maybe this will seem like bait, but just wanted to provide an alternative perspective and use him to illustrate a more general point.

Boreham are 3 points ahead of us, in what is a topsy turvy season. They haven't won in 5 in all comps, and we beat them on their own patch. Fair enough they made the playoffs last year, but the year before that they were in a relegation battle with us.

In terms of producing players, I agree Boreham have done better but I can only think of Thomas, Goodliffe and Ferrier in recent years - 2 of those came through the academy and one of them was them capitalising on our misfortune. I guess this is more a function of how well you recruit into your academy and how good the youth coaching is.

I think Garrard is relatively fortunate in that Boreham are a smaller club, the owner trusts him even when results are not so good, and they don't have fans demanding promotion. As a club, they seem to have far more ethos and direction than us, and that definitely helps. I also don't think they're short of a few quid - they've got Coulthirst, Whitely, Mafuta who are probably on good money, and they beat loads of clubs to Tshimanga's signature. I would agree the budget is likely much smaller than ours, and we've spent quite badly this summer, but I guess a manager only spends what he's given.

Once again I'd point at deeper issues at our club compared to somewhere like Boreham. I'm definitely not trying to give the manager a pass here, he's part of the problem, but I wouldn't like to say with any certainty "go and get this guy, he'll fix it". Especially as we have to pay severance, and they pay compensation for the replacement. Is this just another attempt to throw money at it?
themightydagger

Mark wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:41 pm I've said on here before that I'm not a massive Garrard fan, so maybe this will seem like bait, but just wanted to provide an alternative perspective and use him to illustrate a more general point.

Boreham are 3 points ahead of us, in what is a topsy turvy season. They haven't won in 5 in all comps, and we beat them on their own patch. Fair enough they made the playoffs last year, but the year before that they were in a relegation battle with us.

In terms of producing players, I agree Boreham have done better but I can only think of Thomas, Goodliffe and Ferrier in recent years - 2 of those came through the academy and one of them was them capitalising on our misfortune. I guess this is more a function of how well you recruit into your academy and how good the youth coaching is.

I think Garrard is relatively fortunate in that Boreham are a smaller club, the owner trusts him even when results are not so good, and they don't have fans demanding promotion. As a club, they seem to have far more ethos and direction than us, and that definitely helps. I also don't think they're short of a few quid - they've got Coulthirst, Whitely, Mafuta who are probably on good money, and they beat loads of clubs to Tshimanga's signature. I would agree the budget is likely much smaller than ours, and we've spent quite badly this summer, but I guess a manager only spends what he's given.

Once again I'd point at deeper issues at our club compared to somewhere like Boreham. I'm definitely not trying to give the manager a pass here, he's part of the problem, but I wouldn't like to say with any certainty "go and get this guy, he'll fix it". Especially as we have to pay severance, and they pay compensation for the replacement. Is this just another attempt to throw money at it?
Very good point, especially on the compensation. How long is Daryls contract? I think there is a good chance the season becomes Null and Void. So what if we wait, he gets furloughed for the season? Could be an easier way. I dont think we'll go down, so? Pretty negative way to think, but if i was the Americans, i wouldnt want to waste any more money.
Diggerthedog

Can't disagree with any of that, think if he had a slightly better budget and a decent home crowd behind him Garrard should be able to lift us up the table. Like you say there are no easy choices but the last 4 appointments have all been wrong in my view, how is that even possible to keep getting it wrong it shows the selection process is poor or even guess work. I'm really interested to see how it works for Stockport.

The club needs a vision and a plan, at present we have neither and are simply putting an expensive plaster over a gaping wound that's been open for 10 years.
Auntie Merge

Votes at 16:31 6/2/2021 (Wrexham away)
A60BDF55-2F71-4FB5-A0D7-8261B5E577AC.png
NBDag

I think I’m back on the fence with this one.
Alan

Can we add a new option “sack him before the end of this match”

Surely the only thing keeping him in a job is the cost of paying him off at a time of no income and the prospect of the season ending in a few weeks.
Mark

This is a disgrace. Worse than the 9 nil. At least we had ten that day.
Dagdale

Ok Notts County are a fairly decent side especially at home and will be rightly up there at the final curtain but opposition with a player short again and from what it sounds a soured response, we never seem to dictate a game from the start, were just blowing wind all the time, a big yes on this thread title!
HGDagger

Looks like it's another sh!t season where we're lucky to avoid relegation again
Alan

Graham Carr is available.