Oliver Hawkins SHOCK NEWS UPDATE !

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Adrian

leewilson wrote:What I don't like is the title. SHOCK NEWS UPDATE. Completely sensationalising.

I'm very wary of 'family members' commenting. Their priority is going to be the player obviously. The potential is there to spin anything to make it seem as if everything is against Ollie and that the club aren't acting properly.

At the same time, although I don't think Stilly lied in his interview today, I'd wager he didn't tell the full story either.

There's clearly something going on as the club only comment on these 'rumours' when there is some substance. However, I don't believe Ollie is being held hostage. My guess would be that he knows the club are in a difficult spot with only 1 year left on his contract and he's putting the feelers out to see what the reaction is from us and other clubs. Both parties will be treading carefully as it benefits neither to have him exiled from the team.
Well said.

To be honest it looks like we've already sorted out replacements ready. Both Cheek and Bloomfield are a good size.
We're going to try and get he best deal we can - if a couple of clubs are showing interest then we'll try to get them bidding each other up if we can.
Adrian

RampantDuke wrote:Did anyone watch Hawkins after Xmas? - he lost his place to an aging Benno FFS. Waiting to see what he does this season is too risky - I would cash in right now. Remember that plonker Brian Woodall. Could have made a tidy sum when Millwall came in for him but waited too long. Get rid of Hawkins now.
He only lost his place to Benno when he got injured at Lincoln.
He didn't score as much but still did more than a lot of people on here make out.
NBDag

After reading what John Still has said I don't know if the valuation of Hawkins is a little high. In January he was putting them in for fun and was a key part of our promotion push. So imo, to buy him in the middle of the season added a bit of a premium onto the asking price. But now we have 1/2 good replacements and the season hasn't started so I don't think he's worth as much to the club. Especially as he didn't set the world alight in the second half of last season.

If we get whatever this number is for him then it's a good bit of business by the club. But I'm surprised that we turned down the bid that fell just short of our valuation given what I said above. Part of me hopes he stays however, despite the annoyance to then see him leave for nothing next summer.
lupins

Let the Manager manage that's what he is there for and he's pretty good at it

And let this be a lesson of the folly of starting threads like this it served no use promoting rumour and is a distraction when it would seem there is a nice air of positivity around the club at the moment
Diggerthedog

Difference between now and all the last times we sold players is we can hold out for the actual valuation thanks to Glyn. With the money now involved in football teams can expect to pay the real price these days, specially clubs the size of Portsmouth.

As John Still said this is a business not just a football club.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Thought we have been told on a number of occassions that he don't read forums !