Maybe, give him until the end of the season
2%
No, he is doing a fantastic job
7%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 41
DI Mike Dashwood

It's all a very very strange situation which I can't get my head round in all honesty.

Yesterday was poor, a huge anti-climax (although I actually thought till they scored we were playing ok). I can't see how Balanta is not in the team if he is fit. Leaving out him and Deering leaves us almost totally reliant on Myles for any creativity or guile. We seem to lack an identity or way of playing. All this passing back and forth at the back is not for me I'm afraid. I always feel at our level you need some very very good players for that to be a worthwhile game-plan.

The real strange and sad thing is, it's been like this for 9 years now in my eyes. Since we were relegated at Peterborough that day it has been a generally hard slog year after year. Barring one season under Wayne we then hovered around the bottom half in League Two till we went down. Then barring the first season back in the Conference we have hovered around the bottom half of the Conference. The spark has gone on and off the pitch, the enthusiasm and enjoyment seems to drain further away season after season. Yesterday for 30 minutes it was back due to the circumstances, and then again it vanished by 5.00pm.

I don't think it is just us by the way. A lot of the old non league clubs who went into the League are in the same boat. Yeovil were in the Champo about 10 years back and now sit below us. Morecambe and Stevenage are a near constant presence at the bottom end of League Two playing in front of crowds half the size they used to get in the Conference. Barnet are in freefall and were thumped 6-0 yesterday. Burton are sinking fast after a couple of years in the Champo. Macclesfield are in a worse state than anyone. The list goes on. The old Conference clubs who fought for so long to get into the League, and then in many cases who went on to even higher divisions,now back worse off than when the journey started. Maybe it's just a case of careful what you wish for!!!

In terms of other managers, anyone thinking about the Cowleys is living on another planet. Absolutely zero chance of that happening. My good friends from the HLP will remember me mentioning these chaps many years ago when they did well at Concord and started making an impression at Braintree. I said then they would go on to big things, when most hadn't heard of them. I think that was about the same time Mr Still was off for a pay rise at Luton and there was a vacancy at our club..................
Alan

Not sure that throwing money at it is the problem, it’s how the money is spent and his the team is set up and sent out.

The recruitment was crap and he doesn’t have the players to create crosses for McCallum. . Players do not look fit - Deering looks wider than he is tall and playing him on the wing was never going to work but is even less likely to work with him looking so unfit, although the fact that we had to play him on the wing speaks volumes for the poor recruitment.
jag

I support two teams, Dagenham and Arsenal and I have been really disappointed with both of them, they seem to be playing without creating enough chances and a game plan, they are more or less both having the same problems, just cannot score or defend set pieces also not able to produce a shot on goal and the same old format of passing out to the wing and crossing the ball in the hope of getting a lucky touch on goal, Darryl and Miguel just can't seem to change the way their teams play, only difference being to many passes ie, 20 to 30 for the Gunners before they get to the final third and Dagenham on Saturday's performance find it difficult to put more than 3 passes together, I am suffering really bad with this situation at the moment, will I give up watching my teams? Hell no !!
Does anybody have the answers.
Auntie Merge

EB37BDF7-C39C-4D3C-86DE-DCB65849D17E.jpeg

As people can change their options, here’s a screenshot of where the poll is at today.
Penfold

Is the tweet from PF a modern day or "new normal" confidence statement from the board prior to the sack?

While we do not have an official transfer window, any new manager will have to make a quick assessment of what we have and make some changes quick if we need to bring in higher ups. Of course, if we go for hungry lower downs we do not have that problem.

Realistically, the assistant manager (has anyone ever heard anything from him? would go and so would the fitness guy Jupp, so who could cover on the interim basis until we appoint the next one?
"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."

"You never realize what you have until it's gone. Toilet paper is a good example"
Diggerthedog

Bump
Alan

It’s worse than under Taylor. But more expensive. The pandemic is saving him at the moment: no crowds booing him every week, plus finances and the likely suspension of the league means club may not feel like paying up his contract to get rid.
Diggerthedog

I guess there is little point sacking him if he can be furloughed for a few months in the next week or two.
themightydagger

RampantDuke wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:54 am
Mark wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:52 pm I think the solution involves at least 3 new players but can't keep throwing money at it.
I think that throwing money at it is the problem and not the solution. We keep overpaying for mercenary players looking for a nice pay day who are not 'Daggers'. You can slag off John Still all you like but surely we would be quicker, more motivated and cohesive under him than we are right now.
This is the problem with this club. Everyone wants to go back to JS after this because we're comfortable under him. Well he's fed you lot lie after lie and you still believe him. He is not what the club needs, he left us when we needed him most, so lets move on. Get a YOUNG, hungry manager who has fresh ideas.

Lets sort the boardroom out, lower the average age, actually get a footballing brain in there. The latter should be up to the Americans if they're really serious about the club. They need a football man in there to take the club forward, not the old guard.

Lets leave JS and Currie in the past, they fell away when we needed them most. Chance for a fresh start with someone new. Maybe a Danny Searle?
Alan

The current manager was supposed to be a young hungry one. I’m not sure the age of the manager matters, all that matters is whether they can put together a team that wins and do so within a budget that the club can sustain.

My concern about McMahon was he only achieved success with Ebsfleet by spending a ruinously high budget. Was it £2m to get out of Conf South? I can’t recall, but I did post it in here somewhere at the time he was being touted as the next manager.
themightydagger

Alan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm The current manager was supposed to be a young hungry one. I’m not sure the age of the manager matters, all that matters is whether they can put together a team that wins and do so within a budget that the club can sustain.

My concern about McMahon was he only achieved success with Ebsfleet by spending a ruinously high budget. Was it £2m to get out of Conf South? I can’t recall, but I did post it in here somewhere at the time he was being touted as the next manager.
Even McMahon was part of the club years ago, he coached here. We can never ever go for something new. I wanted Luke Garrard, he's done very well. A young manager has fresh ideas, i cant think of many veterans who would be a good appointment?
RayleighDagger1986

themightydagger wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:27 pm
RampantDuke wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:54 am
Mark wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:52 pm I think the solution involves at least 3 new players but can't keep throwing money at it.
I think that throwing money at it is the problem and not the solution. We keep overpaying for mercenary players looking for a nice pay day who are not 'Daggers'. You can slag off John Still all you like but surely we would be quicker, more motivated and cohesive under him than we are right now.
This is the problem with this club. Everyone wants to go back to JS after this because we're comfortable under him. Well he's fed you lot lie after lie and you still believe him. He is not what the club needs, he left us when we needed him most, so lets move on. Get a YOUNG, hungry manager who has fresh ideas.

Lets sort the boardroom out, lower the average age, actually get a footballing brain in there. The latter should be up to the Americans if they're really serious about the club. They need a football man in there to take the club forward, not the old guard.

Lets leave JS and Currie in the past, they fell away when we needed them most. Chance for a fresh start with someone new. Maybe a Danny Searle?
Or if the Yanks are really serious, Danny Cowley
Alan

The team at the top of this division are managed by a 65 year old. Age is irrelevant. Ability to assemble a winning side on the budget is all that matters.
Mark

There's very few managers that have sustained success and are available to us. Anybody who gets results and is relatively young will quickly be snapped up, anybody who is older and hanging around this level likely has a very mixed record, or has attempted to step up previously and got sacked.

Johnson seems to be a serial winner at this level, but has had his fair share of relegations and sackings too.

In terms of age, whilst not strictly important there does seem to be something in it. Bonner is 35 and top of League Two, and there's a lot of early-40s guys hanging around the top of that division. The two guys who went up last season are relatively young, as are the Wealdstone and Altrincham managers. Johnson definitely seems to be the exception in his 60s, even those in their 50s don't seem to be winning much these days.

I think the best you can hope for is finding someone who has a decent track record of winning or taking clubs to a position beyond their expectations, hasn't suffered any major disaster seasons, has a history of recruiting well, and generally seems to give his side a coherent game plan. Not convinced by a lot of the names that get banded around, on paper don't necessarily have a better history than what we've got. Having said that, we will have to change it for change sake if it doesn't pick up.
DI Mike Dashwood

Surely it’s what the fit is for what the club wants?? Goes back to the other thread doesn’t it, and having a plan and vision?? Some clubs will need a manager used to working with tight budgets. Some want one who can be a quick fix. Some want one who can bring through young players. Having a plan and a vision is the key, then finding a manager who fits the bill.

Everyone laughed when Arsenal appointed Wenger back in the day but when you read about it David Dein knew what the vision was for the club and went and found someone who fitted that (I know this is a very different level before anyone points that out).

I am normally the last to criticise the Board and the club as people will know, but I get the feeling when we appointed McMahon it was because he happened to be available after the Macc situation and was known in the area.