New Season

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Blue Hoops

Interested to know what other supporters feel about the close season and their aspirations for the new coming season. starting with away game at Stockport, then a few weeks later at Wrexham which represent a really difficult start.

Already friendlies are being cancelled due to injuries, which really emphasise that are squad is not big enough. Having four potential centre backs, Reynolds, Jones, Rance and Clark all injured, with the latter not even playing a friendly match so far this season. None of which are natural tall commanding defenders, which l feel not having is a big mistake. Not since we had Onariase have we had this. Added to the fact that Harry Phipps is still yet to take part in any game, leaves the team woefully short of options.

Even within the rest of the squad I believe the likes of George Saunders could do with going on loan to a National League South team for a season to get him stronger and up to the rigours of football at this level.

All the friendlies were against almost minnows in non-league football and its going to be quite a rude awakening to play teams in our league that have already 'pits their wits' against stronger and tougher opposition.

Will wait and see, but l rather feel that come October some big questions will need to be answered.
Pablo

Agreed although I think Clark and Reynolds have both had one or two friendly outings pre season. I don't understand why we haven't signed at least two of the triallists who have apparently impressed to date. Waiting another few days for them to sign on the dotted line can't make much difference. i'd have thought they and us need some certainty now.
Chalky69

Can’t understand why all our pre season were against lower league sides and when we did play a side nearer to our level we were well beaten. Not even a West Ham under 23. Would like to know the thinking behind that!
RayleighDagger1986

Phipps was in the matchday squad for the Billericay friendly and never git on. Would have thought some minutes under his belt would be better than warming the bench for 90 minutes.
Pompeydagger

Chalky69 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:35 am Can’t understand why all our pre season were against lower league sides and when we did play a side nearer to our level we were well beaten. Not even a West Ham under 23. Would like to know the thinking behind that!
Think it might be to do with us not being able to use our ground as we were putting the new pitch in place? Bigger teams are less likely to want to play us at their place so we've had to go to lower league teams?
DaggerJoel11

Stockport away naturally presents a daunting opening day challenge and we'd have wanted an easier game to open with, but it could also represent the opportunity to catch them cold before their team can gel together nicely.

On players, I agree we're a centre-half short although McMahon must think we can get by with Johnson, Wright, Clark, Reynolds plus Jones as cover there. of the trialists who've played the most minutes, two are forwards and one is a midfielder so it's not even like arrivals are imminent in the position we most need.

Excluding Phipps and Rance who are presumably a long way from returning, and the reportedly departing McQueen, we have 17 players for the first game of the season which is obviously not enough, but I think our strongest eleven can be competitive and one of our biggest advantages will be the continuity we carried from the back end of last season.

Saunders has looked very sharp this pre-season, this could well be his breakthrough year after a period of bedding-in last year.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Markinfront

Surely three or four new faces are a must. We have 18 outfield players though two or three are not ready to play on the 21st so in reality 15 and you need that number for a match day squad. The lad Blair is a real gem and we need to get him or another club will. The striker from Maidstone is also worth getting in. Personally I feel Jones is far better suited to centre back. I hope that we will be getting Twitter prompts in the coming days informing us of much needed personnel. The first six games aren’t that bad bar Stockport and a fast start is essential. We’ve not achieved that for many years.
Mark

Difficult to know what to make of it. On one hand, we've battered some smaller teams and looked very sharp doing so unlike last season. On the other, we've had no real tests, we've got injuries and we're short in certain areas.

Personally I think a little sluggish start at Stockport but we'll pick up.

I'm quietly confident we can compete with some of these spenders, many clubs have proven that it doesn't necessarily buy team spirit and have been second best to hard working teams like Sutton or Harrogate. Having said that, we certainly won't be winning the league.
Daggerman

All we can do is wait and see how the season starts, have faith
COYD
NBDag

The B&D Post reported a while ago that we were close to signing Blair over a week ago, and usually they’re not wrong with that stuff. I think any new signings like him are already done deals and we just aren’t going to announce it until later next week.

Hopefully just Blair and a solid centre half to come in permanently, son’t need another forward after that. Then if we do have some bad injuries already then let’s use the loan market.
Diggerthedog

NBDag wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:43 pm The B&D Post reported a while ago that we were close to signing Blair over a week ago, and usually they’re not wrong with that stuff. I think any new signings like him are already done deals and we just aren’t going to announce it until later next week.

Hopefully just Blair and a solid centre half to come in permanently, son’t need another forward after that. Then if we do have some bad injuries already then let’s use the loan market.
Blair has already signed, he is coming from low down so perhaps he has to give notice at his old job before we announce it?
SUSSEX DAGGER

Would not be surprised if we do what we always done and play the loan market. Three quality loans in the right areas and we will be competing with the best of them. Right time to play Stockport in my opinion catch them cold . What ever happens Saturday we will improve I have no doubt.

If play offs is our aim then 65 goals and 15 clean sheets would almost certainly be enough to get us there. Almost certain there is the goals in this team , its the other end that's always a constant worry. One quality Centre back, even only a loan and I would be very confident.