Wealdstone

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

The decision to release Croll becomes even more baffling , he is better then anything we currently have and more reliable. You cant hide the fact that they were two horrendous goals yesterday .

Think that the problem and frailty at Centre half is being hidden by McCullum . In the two games I have been to ,Stockport and yesterday he has not missed a header in our box from opponents set pieces and the problem is only being exposed in open play and what a problem it is becoming . Every goal we have conceaded this season has been preventable .

Think we will see Kenny Clarke soon as surely he must be given a chance in this new set up. Dint think for a minute he is the entire answer and an imposing commanding Centre back is a must for me
Dagger83

What's the pitch looking like this season after all the work on it over the summer? Is it an improvement?
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mark

Difficult to know what to make of it yesterday. Didn't feel we played very well but should still have won the game.

I wouldn't say any of our chances were sitters, we got a lot of presentable ones that maybe you'd hope one or two more go in, but it wasn't like we laid siege to their goal.

I do also feel we are a defender short, but Reynolds is good enough not to make those errors yesterday. He needs to concentrate for 95+ minutes.

It's clear how much Jones and Sagaf give us in midfield in terms of quick ball and more creativity around the opponent's box. I felt Robbo tried to do a bit too much, probably to make up for the missing players. I think we need another more creative centre mid option as Sagaf shoulders that burden by himself.
Leopardman

Dagger83 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:57 pm What's the pitch looking like this season after all the work on it over the summer? Is it an improvement?
The pitch looks superb. Like a carpet and pop up sprinklers. Fingers crossed it will hold up well through the winter.
Dag82

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:41 pm The decision to release Croll becomes even more baffling , he is better then anything we currently have and more reliable. You cant hide the fact that they were two horrendous goals yesterday .

Think that the problem and frailty at Centre half is being hidden by McCullum . In the two games I have been to ,Stockport and yesterday he has not missed a header in our box from opponents set pieces and the problem is only being exposed in open play and what a problem it is becoming . Every goal we have conceaded this season has been preventable .

Think we will see Kenny Clarke soon as surely he must be given a chance in this new set up. Dint think for a minute he is the entire answer and an imposing commanding Centre back is a must for me
Spot on, Sussex, as I have said before on here, McCallam is the best Cente Back in the club.

Never mind going forward, we are f****d from defending any set pieces, if he ever gets subbed !!.

We made so many mistakes at the back yesterday, that I could only walk out afterwards feeling happy with getting a point.

Everybody said we needed to get an upgrade at CB before the season started, and they were'nt wrong,

Going forward we are easily good enough to make a title push, but you can forget it with this
back line, unless we can literally score at least 3 each week.
Dagger83

Leopardman wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:12 pm
Dagger83 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:57 pm What's the pitch looking like this season after all the work on it over the summer? Is it an improvement?
The pitch looks superb. Like a carpet and pop up sprinklers. Fingers crossed it will hold up well through the winter.
That's got to help us this year. Thanks.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
DaggerJoel11

Defensive frailties proved costly as the Daggers were forced to settle for a point against a tenacious Wealdstone outfit.

Match report and player ratings from a game that was entertaining objectively, but will be viewed with frustration by the Dagenham camp:

https://dagnificent.weebly.com/match-re ... aldstone-2
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Markinfront

It’s a bit of a mystery as to our squad sits at 21 players instead of 23 or 24. Could be financial or a clear choice by McMahon? The defence is an area of concern but he seems content the current group are good enough. It’s one of those where a loan signing now only comes after more potentially costly errors. Personally I favour a 4/3/3 with our current crop of players with Wright plus one at CB and Johnson and along at Full back. We can score goals now but I agree a quality CB if we can get one or indeed afford one would make our chances improve considerably.
Markinfront

Ling not along!
Diggerthedog

Surprised so many people are wanting Clark back in the team, not suited to the way the manager wishes to play and he was abysmal except a handful of games last season.

We looked very disjointed all over the pitch Saturday, understandable given who we had missing but it's a point to keep us in the chase for play offs as I don't see us challenging for this title with such a small squad compared to the big hitters. Hopefully Sagaf is back next week to give us what we are missing in midfield.
SUSSEX DAGGER

With respect Digger dont think many are calling for Kenny Clarke most appear to want us to strengthen in this vital Area. Granted he made mistakes but if you call out some of his errors as horrendous then what adgetive do you use for some of the goals we have let in without him even being on the pitch
Alan

There’s the problem - our replacement for error prone defenders is another error prone defender.
DaggerJoel11

It is our weakest area, that slot in the middle of the centre half trio. Clark gave away a ton of clumsy penalties last season, while Reynolds has already made two errors leading directly to goals in recent weeks.

I'd be interested to see how we'd fare with Ling on the right side, maybe pushing Wright central and Johnson retaining his usual position on the left of them. However this would probably be implemented as a last resort and might stifle Wright's creativity.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Diggerthedog

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:00 pm With respect Digger dont think many are calling for Kenny Clarke most appear to want us to strengthen in this vital Area. Granted he made mistakes but if you call out some of his errors as horrendous then what adgetive do you use for some of the goals we have let in without him even being on the pitch
Was calling for a decent defender to play that middle role all summer, just don’t understand the logic other than Reynolds is very comfortable on the ball. We don’t deal with set pieces or long diagonals well at all and lack pace, Johnson and Wright have down very well. As long as we keep scoring we should be ok but you won’t win many of you have to score 2-3 every week.
Mark

I don't think Wright is the answer either as the middle CB. He's not the best defender despite his improvement, and being on the side lets him get on the ball in better areas.

Reynolds seems to be preferred over Clark for his ability on the ball and I can't see that changing as we want to play a certain way. Neither are probably what we really need. But good defenders who can play don't grow on trees. Who was the last one we had? Manny could play a bit, Arber?